Christmas House Bed and Breakfast

No1 attractionNo1 attraction

Travel Tips for San Antonio

Korean and Vietnam War Memorials

by Ewingjr98

North of the heart of the tourist area near the Municipal Auditorium you will find the Vietnam War Memorial and the Korean War Memorial. They stand together in Veterans Memorial Plaza at the end of Jefferson Street.

The Vietnam War Memorial was unveiled at a large ceremony in 1986, and it shows a soldier comforting his wounded comrade as he searches the sky for the inbound medevac chopper. The name of the bronze sculpture is "Hill 881 South," and it was created by Austin Deuel of Scottsdale, AZ.

Etched at the base is "Permanently encased within the memorial is an air tight compartment that contains a complete list of the names, serial numbers, branches of the military and dates of service of the men and women from the San Antonio area who served in the Vietnam War. Over 60,000 fine young Americans from our community served in Vietnam. This memorial is a tribute to all of them."

The Korean War Memorial was erected a few year after the Vietnam Memorial and sits at the north end of the plaza. This unique monument consists of a marine and a soldier sharing a frozen foxhole in the winter of 1950.

Jim Colum's Jazz Band, Live at...

by KnotH3ad

Jim Colum's Jazz Band, Live at the Landing.
Jazz Band that performs live shows for NPR (National Public Radio). Great music, cool setting. Drinks are a bit pricey, but I go for the music and the atmosphere anyway. Business casual on up, (slacks for the gents) but I think they'll probably let anyone in.

Great Steakhouse in Seguin!

by TexasLinda about K&G Steak House & Saloon

They have a buffet and a menu. The buffet isn't like most buffets with mediocre food - this one is incredible! The roast beef was superb, and the catfish tasty, as well as the side dishes of mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, broccoli, chicken, dumplings, fruits and salads. From the menu you can order standard American fare, such as choice steaks, burgers, etc., There were actually some foods I didn't try, like the corn (because I grew up in Indiana and had all the corn I'll ever need for the rest of my life), but everything I tasted was excellent and I'd highly recommend this restaurant! (And I'm really picky!)
Desserts are complimentary too! I had coconut cream pie, which was outstanding!

Oh, and they do breakfast too!

Sorry, I forgot to take a picture while I was there, but I sure enjoyed the meal! Roast Beef!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Sweet Potatoes!

Go shooting!

by qednick

Being a British ex-pat I tend to have visitors over from Britain sometimes. Always, without failure, the top-of-the-list thing-to-do for them is to go shooting. Of course, in Britain you can't go shooting anymore which is why I'm recommending this activity if you ever visit Texas (or most other US states).
Near us we have the Bullet Hole Shooting Range. You can take your own firearms or rent some for low rates. If you're feeling adventurous, you can fire one of the few machine guns they have available including a genuine WWII grease gun complete with supressor (silencer). The range fee is about $7.50 and you can shoot all day in any one of their outdoor ranges. My favorite is the pistol range which is most challenging.
If you have never shot before, looking for something different to do and visiting San Antonio, let me know and I'd be happy to take you. So long as you pay you own range fees and buy your own ammo I'd be happy to take you and let you use my pistols. Just contact me through the VT site by leaving me a comment (don't use the VT email) or see my personal web site.

Spanish Governor house.

by Goulu

See how civilized, educated and rafinnated the spanish were in comparison to the (Alamo) cow-boys who invaded that country...
Collection of very ancient artwork and furnitures in a beautiful old house.

Comments