Crowne Plaza Hotel Riverwalk

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

111 Pecan St E, (formerly Adam's Mark), San Antonio, Texas, 78205, United States

Wyndham San Antonio Riverwalk
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Wyndham.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Worst hotel stay!

Unique Quality: Let me just start out by saying this is the worst hotel stay I have EVER experienced. Upon arrival we waited 30 minutes to be checked in due to a convention that was occurring the same weekend that could only be described as a zoo. Once we received our room key we unloaded our things only to discover trash on the floor and stains on the sheets. We called guest services and they sent a house keeper up who complained to us the whole time she changed our sheets. After driving over 5 hours to get here and walking the riverwalk we were ready to get some sleep due to our big trip to Sea World the next day. From 10 pm til 12 am we heard constant loud music and unsupervised kids screaming down the hallway so we again called guest services. After nothing was done to correct the situation the first time we decided it would be best to physically go to the lobby to request security. We were met along the way by other residents staying nearby with the same complaints. Once security arrived they knocked on the door twice and when no one answered they LEFT. I am not one to get worked up easily, but it's not hard to have good customer services for the rates we are paying to stay here. My five year old was kept awake and my husbands birthday weekend ruined. This hotel is extremely understaffed and undertrained on how to treat customers. Next time they decide to host a convention they need to make sure they have the staff to accommodate or you will be losing tons of business such as mine. I will NEVER stay here again and will go out of my way to not refer this hotel again.

• Did not honor reservation

We made a reservation to stay at this hotel on Priceline and we called to tell them we'd be arriving late. They reconfirmed our reservation and said "no problem". But when we got there, we were turned away. They said they had no rooms available. Unbelievable.

Unique Quality: they do not honor the reservations they take

• doug48's Profile Photo

high rise

the crowne plaza is one of the newer high rise hotels in downtown san antonio. located on pecan street it is in the heart of downtown. a good location for the business traveler and a short walk to the attractions of downtown san antonio. the crowne plaza is the least expensive of the downtown high rise hotels.

Directions: downtown.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

nice welcoming hotel

I was here to attend a medical conference and spent four days in the kernels of this hotel, and got to know it well. very friendly staff and since all our meals were taken in the hotel, got to know some of the staff as well, mostly mexicans and extremely friendly.

Unique Quality: right downtown. near the river walk. close to everything. friendly staff.

More about Crowne Plaza Hotel Riverwalk

Great Stay at Crowne Plaza Riverwalk

I booked a room for our family vacation in San Antonio in February 2005 for our trip in May (lucky thing I was a couple of months early as the big basketball game ended up in SA with the Spurs). Our room was great (2 adults, 2 children). Whenever I needed towels or toiletries - after all what is a trip without leaving something essential at home - they were brought upstairs promptly. The bed was the best hotel bed I think I have ever slept in. The part of the Riverwalk that we were on was not that far away from the busy areas and it let us get our excercise without hitting the gym (which was also very nice - as was the pool). The restaurant serves a great breakfast buffet that my daughters loved. The parking garage was neat and you didn't have to walk outside to get to it. The only thing that happened during our stay was they ran out of detergent in the guest laundry and were sold out in the gift shop - but hey - I was on vacation and laundry was the last thing on my list. When we go back to San Antonio you can bet we will stay at the Crowne Plaza.

Good Riverwalk value

by TripAdvisor Member thebabs

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Riverwalk for just one night before spending the rest of our trip in the Hill Country, but I think we made a good value choice for a Riverwalk property.

The property is at the far end of the Riverwalk, meaning it's a long walk or boat ride to get to the heart of the action (probably why it's relatively cheap).

It's basically a very nice Holiday Inn. The front desk service was excellent upon checkin, the rooms were clean and in good condition. Main complaint with the rooms was the Archie Bunker-esque toilets in adjacent rooms (in other words, we couldn't escape when our neighbors flushed or showered).

Nevertheless, it's worth it at $100/night, especially if you want to mix a quiet area with Riverwalk access.

Nice hotel but not very organized

by TripAdvisor Member Tess23

Just got back from staying at the San Antonio Crowne Plaza Riverwalk. I'll say from the start that I would stay here again--it's a very nice hotel and the staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. There were a few problems, though.

They began when we checked in. My daughter and I were given a room on the 18th floor but the door wouldn't open once we got up there. We had quite a bit of luggage since we were there for a dance competition--luckily a lady walking by noticed our dilemma and offered to let me into her room to call the front desk. The desk said they'd sent us to the wrong room and a new key to our room on the 17th floor was soon delivered. Walked into THAT room and there was a king bed--we were three people so that obviously wasn't going to work. Called down there AGAIN and finally got a room with 2 queen beds on the 5th floor. After staying in the room for one night I knew why this room was magically available. The elevator literally SHOOK the room constantly. The shower seemed like it had a massage jet just from the elevator vibrations plus it was noisy. By this time I was totally embarrassed to switch rooms again but did since we were staying for four nights. The manager was understanding and we finally ended up in 1526--a very very nice room. So, my word of advice is to NOT stay in any room ending in 15 (our vibrating room was 515). This hotel is laid out with the elevators smack in the middle of each floor--not too smart as there's a lot of noise.

On the plus side, we utilized the breakfast buffet most days at the hotel restaurant--it was great. They also have a Starbuck's in the lobby, which was nice. The rooftop pool and jacuzzi were fine and there were two nice lounges off of the lobby. The concierge and bellmen were very helpful in recommending restaurants and arranging for taxis. There's a well-stocked gift shop right off of the lobby.

My daughter danced at the Municipal Auditorium--very much within walking distance--maybe 5-7 minutes away on foot. The hotel is on the quiet end of the Riverwalk but it takes no time at all to get to the heart of the action on the Riverwalk. You're pretty much in for a long walk or a short taxi ride, though, if you're heading to the Riverwalk Mall or to the Alamo. For this reason, I'd stay elsewhere next time if I wanted to be more centrally located.

Pleasant Stay; Great Value and Good Location

Our stay was very pleasant. The room was spacious and the duvet and bed coverings were super comfortable. It was cleaned promptly and well. The staff including the valets were polite and helpful. The location was the quiet end of the RiverWalk --which was perfect for us. The pool area was pleasant (no towels though). Only ate breakfast there which was OK (buffet stuff) and did not bring a vehicle so have no idea about the efficacy of the valet parking.

Would definately return.

Exceptionally nice in every way

by TripAdvisor Member olaydt

Although the walk to the center of the Riverwalk is a rather long walk, everything else about this hotel was A+ I truly wish we were able to stay there longer than the two nights we stayed.

The staff was so warm and welcoming.
The beds were VERY comfortable, the views great.

We were under the impression that we had to pay for parking even when parking our car ourselves in the covered garage but we found that there was no charge.

Would I use Crowne Plaza again, you bet!!!

I Wondered Why They Had Rooms Available......

by TripAdvisor Member AlwaysWaiting

My wife and I spent two days searching the internet looking for a hotel within a mile or so of the Riverwalk. The only hotel that had an available room on our first night of our stay was Crowne Plaza so we went ahead and booked a room for three nights. I always thought it was funny how hotels play games with their prices. My first night was $179, and my second and third was $139. This sounds like it might be a great price for a Riverwalk hotel doesn't it? Don't let the name mislead you....it's not very close at all to any Riverwalk attractions. You had better be in shape if you plan on walking to the attractions. We also talked to a couple that were staying in the same kind of room as us and they were only paying $65 a night. Be prepared to add San Antonio's 17% tourist tax as well to the room price....where ever you stay.
As far as the room.... When we booked the room online we asked for a room with a view. Upon arrival I asked if I had a room with a view, evidentally I didn't because they were nice enough to change rooms for me to one with a beautiful view of the roof of a parking garage....Thanks! The bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in, even if it was advertised as a queen but like all hotels....it was only a full. Didn't eat at the hotel so I don't know about the quality of the food. As far as the extra's....they do have internet on TV for about $11 a day and I couldn't believe it when movie rentals were over $12 each....wow.... The staff I dealt with were average. Be aware that when you book a room, you will also be paying for your parking... they don't tell you that. That $179 room ended up being 217.98 after taxes and parking. The pool is adequate but shallow with a nice hot tub and excersise room. If you are assuming this is a top-in high rise hotel....wrong. The hotel is well kept but not worth the price. I stayed in the Executive Inn in New Braunfels the night before, the room was about the same and only cost me $99 (at least they had a refrigerator and gave me a free continental breakfast...lol).

Comfortable bed but poor location and minimal airconditioning

by TripAdvisor Member antshe

As usual for Crowne Plazas, the bed was very comfortable, the room good sized and clean. However, no matter how low I turned the airconditioning, the room never felt cool. The fan did not blow air and when I complained, I was told that even if I put the fan to high, it would not blow air?
The buffet was good but overpriced. You cannot buy food before 6:30 am, even though the buffet is set by 6:15; the "Starbucks" location is opened whenever they feel like it. The front desk staff was wonderful and very responsive.
Riverwalk is in the name, it is located on the Riverwalk but the location was not the best...it was either walk in the 100 degree weather and arrive sweaty or pay for a taxi to get to any of the restaurants, etc. on the Riverwalk.
I doubt I would stay here again simply due to the location

Loved the bed!

by TripAdvisor Member mrspower

Because Crowne made such an emphasis on their beds I had to check it out for myself. So the first thing I did was lie on the bed and there I stayed for an hour long nap! It was WONDERFUL! The night before we had a very bad experience in Corpus Christi at the Bayfront Inn and didn't get much sleep. I needed to be recharged and that is exactly how I felt after a nap and VERY HOT shower! The only complaint I have is the parking fee that was not disclosed to me over the phone when I made my reservation. If I remember correctly it was close to $10 per day to park at the hotel. I'll never understand why hotels charge their guests to park in their hotel!!! Where else are they suppose to park??? Sure there was self-parking down the street but who wants to walk down the block and haul all their luggage up to the hotel after spending $169+ on a room for one night??? That is the only complaint I have though. All in all it was a very nice experience.

Comments