Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk

Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Just on the Riverwalk

This hotel might be the best of our trip and it was one of the most expensive.
    I spent several evenings on internet to choose our hotel. Our first choice was the Menger, near the Alamo, but it was not available through internet when I decided to book. I studied each hotel of the Riverwalk, one by one.
    I chose the Drury Inn reading the good reviews it got on Tripadvisor and because it was on the Riverwalk not in the noisy area. It was also reasonably priced.
    A review adviced to ask for the room 531 : its writer got it instead of a regular room though it was a suite. So I asked and the clerk told me "yes" but I had to come back at the normal check in time.
    When we came back, we received the room 501. I guess I have asked too much.
    The room 501 was not a suite. It was a large room, facing the Riverwalk, without balcony, with 6 windows, in the corner of the building. The view on the Riverwalk was not interesting because of the trees and the height of the windows prevented to see easily the ground level.

We booked from france for 2 nights for 280 euros tax included.

Unique Quality: - An indoor parking with a gate : the place was not narrow as some reviews mentioned. It had a European size (10$ / day + tax)
    - fridge, microwave,
    - 2 TV in the room with HBO (we are reluctant to see the repetition of advertisements)
    - free breakfast : especially the self made waffles : they are the main attraction of the buffet. And there are fruits...
    - a steack house restaurant at the ground floor
    - a direct access to the Riverwalk
    - a free business center with internet
    - free snacks and cocktails (3 maxi) at 5:30PM : on my opinion poor because it was only tacos with spicy sauce.
    - free pool (small and cold) on the roof : they borrow towels. I deny a review : I am not tall enough to enjoy the sunset from the roof because the walls are too high. A tall American, may be...
    - near the majestic theatre

The bad side : the noise in the street (not on the Riverwalk) .
    What can be the use of a fridge and a microwave : there is no grocery or supermarket nearby. The only store we found was near the Market Place on Commerce Street.

Directions: I-37, Exit Commerce st, West to Navarro, North to Houston St and West to St Mary's then left.

• Schasm's Profile Photo

Best in Town

Beauttiful Historic Building on the riverwalk but quielty away from the noisy bars. Rooms have 20 foot ceilings! Full breakfast every morning. Staff is very accomodating.

More about Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk

Drury is a "Good" Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Zyter

The Drury Plaza Hotel is a good hotel for the Riverwalk area of San Antonio. This is a converted bank building so it's still got some of the nostalgia that goes along with the big banks of the 60's. They have done an excellent job on the conversion. But, if you want something really new and fresh this is not the place for you. Our room was nicely appointed but still had an old light musty smell like walking into an old house. The beds could be a little more comfortable as well. We got an oversize room with two Queen beds and it was large enough that we didn't run over each other the whole time. The hot breakfast is great but get ready to stand in line. Drury's are pet friendly hotels but at this one they are doing a lot of construction on the back side of the property and there are very few places for your four legged friend to go - if you know what I mean! The garage is also under construction on the upper levels so at times it's hard to find a parking spot. We have a Suburban and it fit OK but it was a little tight in some areas. Overall this was a pretty good stay for our family - Drury does a good job and I would recommend the hotel even with the few items mentioned above. I think once they get everything finished it will be one of the best hotels in the area. Also the roof top pool is cool too!

SA

by TripAdvisor Member bigjohnnyjrjr

I have stayed in San Antonio on seveal occasions,based on reviews about Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk naturally found myself wanting to give it a try.

Parking on friday nights "Horrible"... Upn returning to the hotel had to park a block down the street at another garage due to there not being enough parking spaces.Was actually told by front desk staff "Jermaine" not to leave after 7pm due to parking being difficult ?

Otherwise check in staff were courteous,friendly.

Rooms were equipped with a flat screen tv,microwave,refrigerator,pillow top mattresses.Great flat screen tv.

Breakfast was good,crowded after 830,though.

Nice pool with 2 hot tubs on the 23rd floor.

Six elevators,which seemed to all be really quick,GREAT...

Housekeeping HORRIBLE,I had to actually call at 4pm to see about getting my room cleaned,upon which I was asked by someone from housekeeping if I wanted it cleaned? After someone showed up she apparently was very aggitated and rude(was supposed to get off at 5),asked if we could get some dust on the floor vaccumed and I was told not today,we only do light cleaning.

Every evening the manager has a recepetion,snacks and drinks.
Funny thing though you get drink tickets,I guess if you lose your TICKET,you are not able to get your beverage?

Have stayed at Homewood Suites next door and Residence Inn
Riverwalk,both of which have a evening reception without having to have a ticket,also housekeepers are a lot friendlier.

Would I reccomend this hotel again,yes, but beware the above housekeeping and parking.

I have never been so pleased.

by TripAdvisor Member Menelomie

I was absolutely thrilled with the Drury Plaza Riverwalk. I had done a lot of shopping around via the internet and wasn't completely sold just by the hotel's pictures prior to arriving in San Antonio. However, what a surprise! The building itself is gorgeous. The lobby is beautifully updated, the hotel staff was more than helpful and friendly. They were knowledgable and well trained as well. Our room was beautiful - we stayed in 2012 and I had read in previous reviews that all rooms that end in 12 have a great view. That certainly was the case! As far as Drury's slogan "the extras aren't extra" was a huge surprise to me. Most hotels will charge you an arm and a leg for simple extras but not the Drury. Any hotel that offers free hot breakfast (and I'm talking spread), free cocktails at night (and you can make them yourself), free computers with free internet service (never had to wait, they were always available), free soft drinks and pop corn from 3 - 10p (my daughter sure ate her fair share), clean, updated fitness room, guest laundry facilities, after hours snack pantry - the list goes on and on. As far as other reviewers complaining about not having a bar or restaurant - I don't get it. The Drury plaza is directly on the riverwalk and unlimited bars and restaurants are right around the corner. I personally don't plan my trips to spend it eating and drinking in the hotel the whole time, I like to go and adventure outside of my room. Not only will I stay here again, I'll be looking for more Drurys in other locations. OUTSTANDING!

We checked out 45 minutes after checking in

by TripAdvisor Member baltorich

We read the reviews here, but maybe not carefully enough. The Drury Plaza is a very basic 3-star hotel. There is no restaurant, no bar, no room service, no in-room movies. For families interested in something simple, it might hit the spot. Our room had a nice jacuzzi in it, but there was no view to speak of. The building is interesting in that it still really feels like an office building (making it not very cozy). It's a good price for a central location, but if you're hoping to be even a little bit spoiled, this is not the place for you.

family vacation

by TripAdvisor Member jneen11

This was my first time staying in Drury and I must say that it was an excellent experience. Couldn't ask for a better location and the extras the Drury provided were great. Enjoyed watching the fireworks from the roof-top. I highley recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to San Antonio. For a $113.00 a night, (give or take a few bucks) free breakfast , Internet and the managers special (3 cocktails per adult) make this a must stay. From now on i will definitely stay look for drury's in which to stay. Happy Traveling!!

Excellent!!!!

First of all, finding a hotel that allows smoking is VERY difficult and I was thrilled that Drury allowed it.
I was disappointed that Westin, Hyatt and Hilton didn't even allow it.
But, I am VERY impressed with the Drury!!!
Our rooms were IMMACULATE and cleanliness is VERY important to me.
The parking staff were EXCEPTIONAL considering there were some problems because of a dog show in town that weekend.
We had a long wait for our vehicle on Sunday as someone was parked behind us (we were parked in a single file in the garage).

Overall, this was one of the NICEST hotels I have ever stayed in and I was very impressed!! I know that when I return to San Antonio, they will be my first choice.

Great hotel!!!

by TripAdvisor Member april7777

This was our first time in San Antonio. We found this hotel on Tripadvisor, and cannot say enough great things about this hotel. We stayed there from July 25th-27th 2007. We stayed in room 1800, a king suite. The accomodations are VERY nice and the room was large. The bathroom was CLEAN and updated (a MUST for us) Nice, large flat screen T.V.s one for livingroom, one for the bedroom. We had a nice view from our corner room. There was also a small kitchenette, with a microwave and a fridge, which came in handy with our 2 kids with us (a 2 yr old and a 4 month old!). The hotel is in an old bank and has tons of charm. Every evening they have snacks and beverages; very nice! The staff was great. The hotel is right on riverwalk, and only a short walk to all the shop/restaurant area of riverwalk. we would stay there again, for sure!

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Carmine58

Drury rooms are small but comfortably decorated...gives you the homey feeling. These rooms are immaculate. You can access the riverwalk from the lower level of hotel but its a shorter walk if you exit at streetlevel. Only problem is the hotel does not seem to be in a safe neighborhood. Natives solited money from me; one asked me to borrow my cellphone and several asked to bum a cigarette. Careful walking down the side streets at night. Best bet is to enter the Aztec (across the street) and access the riverwalk from the lower level.
Take advantage of the complimentary beverages and popcorn until 0900PM. The breakfast buffet is a full hot breakfast but lines are long.
We found the beds and pillows to be extremely comfortable.
Rooftop pool small but okay .

Comments