Grand Hyatt San Antonio

600 East Market Street, opening spring 2008, San Antonio, Texas, 78205, United States

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Not worth the price

This hotel is beautiful no doubt about it but for over $300 dollars a night it is not worth the stay at all! You'd think that with the amount you pay to stay one night that you could turn the AC on to whatever you please but not that is not the case, we sweated all night long because we were not allowed to change the thermostat below 74 degrees, yeah 74 degrees isn't that hot but when you are staying in a bed with someone else the body heat makes it seem hotter than it is and having the ac cranked up a little higher would have been nice, the sheets don't seem to fit the bed because it kept coming off the mattress all night long and sleeping on a scratchy mattress is very uncomfortable, the doors aren't sealed very well because we could hear every single person walk by our room. If you are looking for a hotel with a nice view and nice pillows then this is your place but I would never recommend it to anyone. Also if you have a car plan on paying $25-$33 a night just to park your car in their garage.

Unique Quality: The pool is a lap pool, the gym here is very big and nice.

Directions: By the hemisphere tower.

• iblatt's Profile Photo

Very convenient, good location

I came to San Antonio for a professional meeting in the Henry Gonzales Convention Center. The Grand Hyatt , and thriugh the Agoda website I found a better rate than the convention special rate.

I liked the excellent location: right next door to the Convention Center, just across from the Riverwalk, and within walking distance to most attractions. I liked my room, which was very convenient, and the view of Hemisfair Park and the Tower of the Americas I had from my window.

The down side: When I presented the Agoda voucher upon arrival, I was politely informed that my reservation had not been received, and due to the high occupancy rate I was given a room with a couch instead of a bed for the first night. When I tried to ask for some kind of compensation, even a free breakfast, I was flatly refused.
    The next morning I found out that I did not bring my international electrical adaptor, and could not use the elctrical sockets in my room. I asked the front desk if the hotel had one that I could use, but they were not very helpful.

Directions: Next door to the Henry Gonzales Convention Center, in central San Antonio, close to the Riverwalk.

More about Grand Hyatt San Antonio

Service below expectations for a Property of this type.

by TripAdvisor Member DallasTraveler56

I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip. I tried to use the automatic check-in kiosks which said "there is a problem with your reservation." There were two people behind the kiosks who told me I would have to go stand in the regular check-in line (which seemed odd since it did not appear that either of them were doing anything). Once I got to the check-in line, one of the two people then walked over to the check-in line and said they would help people back by the kiosks. Several of us who had been put in the line by this same person (for the same reason) all looked at each other in total amazement. Not the "welcome" experience you would expect from a hotel of this pedigree.

During my two night stay, housekeeping failed to replinish the toilet paper (I ran out), did not bring wash rags on the second night (I used a hand towel) and failed to re-stock coffee service (catastrophic for a caffine addict!) . All minor things but not what you would expect for a property of this type. To the hotel's credit, the front desk staff had the had the authority to credit me for 50% of one night's stay.

While temporary I'm sure, the room I was in had construction going on above it during daylight hours. It was not a major issue for me as I was hardly in the room at all, but if you plan to take a nap or work out of the room during the day, you might want to ask for a floor far away from the construction.

Not worth the $$$$

by TripAdvisor Member mickir

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel for a conference this week. All I can say.... what a let down! First of all, the hotel is so plain! Very stark lobby. The furniture in the room seemed cheap. Especially the bathroom sink. I was in a double, and the room was cramped, although the view from the 21st floor was great! It didn't even have a curved shower bar. My room wasn't cleaned until after 4:00 each day. The parking garage is a rip off, even for self-parking at $15 bucks a day, that you pay before you leave.

The food at the restuarant was very expensive and just "okay", although the service was good. My friend said that the exercise room was great! Lots of different machines and it was open 24 hours at no extra cost. The other issue is location. Your atleast 2 blocks from the best part of the Riverwalk and the mall is about a block as well.

In conclusion, if you want a wonderful hotel that truly pampers you... stay at the Westin Riverwalk!

Not quite worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member PeggySue_NY

The hotel opened a few months before our stay. The structure of the building is very nice, but all in all, I'm not entirely sure it was worth the money. The first room we were assigned to was nicely made up, but with dirty dishes, half empty water bottles, and plastic bags scattered throughout. So, we had to trek back down to the lobby and get another room assignment.. That was rather annoying. Then we trekked back up to our new room. The room was nice enough. My biggest complaint was the bathroom. The bathtub has rust stains on the floor.....in a new hotel. The water needs to run for 5 or more minutes for it to become warm enough to shower. The fixture in the bathtub was not sealed all the way around, giving it a very haphazard appearance. I did like the sensor to the bathroom light-hands free, with a night light. We also heard lots of random construction noises, including the loud sounds of our AC vent opening and closing. The restaurant in the lobby was nice enough, but pricey, even for a hotel. $18 for a breakfast buffet seemed a little much to me. Otherwise, the hotel was nice. The bed was comfortable, the chair/lounger in the room was a great touch. And I did like having a safe in the room. Nice gym, nice pool.

This hotel is right on the river, and a close enough walk to the mall, shops, Alamo, restaurants, and other local attractions to make it very do-able without a rental car or excessive cab use.

I loved the speed on the elevators though-we rarely had to wait more than a minute for an elevator in either direction.

We liked it

by TripAdvisor Member HawaiianHoneymoon

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from 5/23-5/28 for a conference. The location was great as it was directly next to the Convention Center. The staff was pleasant and accomadating- any request we had was fulfilled within 10 minutes. The rooms were kept clean, the pool was nice and big and the fitness area stayed open 24 hours. We were skeptical when we first read the reviews, but were pleasantly suprised.

Wouldn't stay there again

by TripAdvisor Member exchelente

Good:
Great lobby. Good spot for conferences. Good location near touristy area - alamo, river walk. Wireless internet had good strong signal in room. LCD TV was good. Staff was helpful and friendly. Hotel bar was comfortable, had live music nightly.
Bad:
Still under construction (April 2008). Woken up before 7 am daily by jackhammers. Kept up late at night by terrible looped smooth techno music coming from pool area (had to call down to ask them to turn it off). Asked for feather free room and sloppy removal job was done. Bad room layout, including strange closet door. Bathroom was pretty rough looking and not very clean. (Staff -spend less time making toilet paper triangles and more time actually sweeping the floor.) Conference catering did not provide easy access to ingredients of meals and my Spanish was not good enough so I accidentally ate something I was allergic to and spent an afternoon on benadryl.

Too modern and big...

by TripAdvisor Member gopoets

This is a very new and modern hotel. The first four floors are meeting/convention spaces with the actual hotel rooms above. It is a very modern hotel with modern art and design. The rooms are decent and provide plenty of outlets for powering various items. Beds were comfortable. AC was moderate at best in my room while other rooms had problems with maintaining a cool temp. Bathrooms are OK with the light turned on/off by sensor. It took a while for hot water in the shower. Having to use the computer kiosk check-in was a bit strange with hotel employees standing there. Perks cafe charges $3.25 for a bottle of soda. Location is decent being just about on the Riverwalk.
Overall, the hotel did not live up to the "Grand Hyatt" name but it is a decent place to stay if you like modern design and style.

Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member readytogo26

I had to write a review as I saw some negative remarks about this hotel on Trip Advisor. We could not have been happier. The hotel is away from the crowded area of the Riverwalk and that is a PLUS. Very clean. Very friendly. Top notch service. Beautiful lobby. Great food in the hotel - a welcome relief from too much Mexican food! Park across the street for $8/day and ride the trolleys if you need to cut expenses.

Working out the kinks

by TripAdvisor Member machfx

I traveled to San Antonio for business, and brought my wife and daughter. My experience was above average. The hotel is new (and the top floors of one wing is still being finished, as of late June). Jackhammers pound into the night and early in the morning... but I didn't hear it in the room itself, just outside.

The location is nice... situated on the riverwalk, but down a slight off-shoot, so you don't get alot of river-noise or riff-raff.

The hotel is clean, and the room was nice, albeit unfinished slightly...an exposed junction box on the wall, and some service 'kinks/jitters.' I will say that the 5th floor outdoor pool area is quite nice, and the 24 hour fitness center is the best I have ever seen in a hotel... rows of treadmills/bicycles, pilate area, lifestyle weight machines, and even an area with free-weights...

I have no doubt that the issues will work themselves out, and this hotel will be one of my favotite places to stay when I travel to San Antonio.

Better than the Reviews!!

by TripAdvisor Member BikeGuru

After reading the previous reviews, I was a little apprehensive about staying. However the bad comments never came about and the good comments were still there. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful during all stages of my stay. My room wasn't ready (at 6:30PM) so they bumped me up to a larger room at no cost. I was on the 21st floor and the view was very nice indeed. The bad comments from previous reviews: The sink was fine, and the lever for the drain is hidden from view behind the faucet, took me 10 seconds to figure that out; You have to run the hot water a while before it gets hot, no biggie; There was no construction noise at night, and only a little during the day (it's a new hotel, get over it!!). I saw no mold, broken plaster, bad paint etc so apparently those problems are fixed. The good comments: The fitness room is very nice. Rows of eleiptical trainers, staionary bikes, treadmills (all with individual TVs), free weights and weight machines. The staff is friendly, helpful and they all speak English. If there was a bad point to the hotel, it would be its restaurant, Achiote. I found it to have very high prices for very mediocre food. The $18 Breakfast buffet was forgettable. You can walk two blocks to Schilo Deli and have a better breakfast for less than half that. Overall the stay was enjoyable

Comments