Hill Country Inn & Suites Airport

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelodge.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 40% less but rated 12% lower than other 3 star hotels

• San A ntonio Best Kept Secret

I stayed for 5 days at this hotel and our family was very impressed. The staff is wonderful and the pool and playground were definetly a plus. The hotel provides a continetal breakfast in the morning and in the afternoons on scheduled days they have a reception out at the cutest cabana out by the pool. I recommend this property to anyone on a budget that wants good quality service from a great hotel. I will make this an annual event my family is already looking forward to next years vacation.

Unique Quality: The pool is larger than any other hotel I have stayed at in a long time and I travel for business a lot. There are BBQ Grills all over the property and 2 very large ones by the pool. They also have a hot tub and a playground.

Directions: Airport /Northeast

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Relax in the hot tub

Good news: The hotel has 3 hot tubs.
    Bad news: They were all down for cleaning and repair while we were there.

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Extended stay lodging

We chose to stay at the Hill Country Inn and Suites so we could have more room and a kitchen.
    The Inn is an all suite hotel. Thesuites all have a bedroom with queen size beds, a kitchen, and a sitting room.
    It is located near the airport and close to malls and shopping.
    The fact that it is on access road of the loop around the city it is very easy to drive from there to most any place.
    They have 3 hot tubs and a pool on the property so you can relax after a long hot day.

More about Hill Country Inn & Suites Airport

Substandard at best

by TripAdvisor Member Army_Sarge

I booked my hotel stay at the Hill Country Inn and Suites in San Antonio, TX through hotels. I checked in yesterday the 17th of March and checked out this morning the 18th. I must rate the Hill Country Inn and Suites as substandard at best.

To begin with- the hotel's website clearly states a check in time of 3PM. At 4 PM, our room was still not ready, we had to continue waiting until the housekeeping staff finished cleaning the room. Upon entering the room, we noticed that the floor under the carpet was sinking in a couple of places, but due to the room not being ready on time, we did not have enough time to switch rooms prior to getting dinner and going out to our plans for the evening. I could not even use the coffee pot in the room because it did not work, and again, I did not have the time to switch it out.

When we got back to the room just before 11 PM, I went to the bathroom, only to discover that the toilet did not flush properly, and it flooded the bathroom floor. I called to the front desk, and the clerk said he would "try to get someone there". By 12:30 AM I fell asleep waiting for someone to come fix it. At just after 7 AM when I went to the office to check out, the same clerk from the night before was still on duty, and there was an additional clerk on duty as well. I told him I was checking out, and he asked how my stay was. Evidently, he didn't even remember that I had called and spoken to him about my toilet overflowing, so I said to him "I would like to know why, when I called you 8 hours ago about my toilet overflowing, you never sent anyone to even check it out." His response was "Well, I was kind of busy." When the other clerk that was on duty asked if there was anything she could do, I told her that she could turn the clock back 8 hours and fix the toilet so that my family could use the bathroom in the hotel room we paid for instead of having to go to a gas station. Her response was that the clerk was very busy, gave some lame excuse about a split shift of less than 8 hours or something, and said if I wanted a refund, I would have to contact Expedia.

At that point, I could not understand how they could look me in the eye, think that was a sufficient response, and not realize that they were both standing less than about 100 feet from my room, yet neither of them could have taken the 30 seconds required out of the previous 8 hour period to walk a plunger to my room or call one of the service/utility staff to check it out. When I pointed this out to them, they both shrugged their shoulders and made a face as if to say "Oh well."

So, to summarize:
(6) Staff did not even attempt to fix toilet during our stay
(7) Apathy on the part of staff about the problems

Nice Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member TN_06

It is a very nice place, very different from other hotels we stayed at. From the other reviews it is correct the rooms are like cabins; extremely clean and nice staff. I enjoyed the cabana refreshments that was given, nachos, beer (2max per person per day), and sodas. We had a room in front of the pool, it was very relaxing. Overall it was a great stay would book at that hotel again next trip.

Clean but very rude

by TripAdvisor Member nmullennix

The room were very clean and had a nice country motif but the staff was horrible. We were told the rooms had wireless and that my mother's aide dog was permitted. Upon check-in we were notified that only the lobby and the pool had wireless and that my mother was not permitted to have her aide dog. After we informed them of the laws they told us that we would be charged or any damages by the dog, that wasn't the problem it was the attitude, rolling of eyes and sighs given to my mother. We ended up having to check the room before check-in and made the head housekeeper check the room upon check-out.
Other wise this hotel was wonderful, very very clean rooms. The breakfast was nice and they had continues coffee all day and night.

Oasis in the busy city

by TripAdvisor Member Jenwee

My husband and I stayed here for two nights a few weeks ago. The hotel is not far from the airport. I was pleasantly surprised when we pulled into the hotel. They have fantastic landscaping. The staff was very polite and let us check in early. We made use of the pool and spas. Our room was clean and huge! There is a great playground for the kids. As a previous reviewer said, the beds are HARD so be prepared if you prefer softer mattresses. We were there during the off season so the price was great. I would definitely recommend this place to families. It is a great spot to relax from all the sightseeing.

loved it

by TripAdvisor Member floridagirl75

When we arrived at the San Antonio airport my husband picked up one of those hotel coupon books. We planned on spending the weekend in New Braunfels. The last night of our stay we decided to head back towards San Antonio so that we wouldn't have to rush around to go to the airport. We drove by this hotel (which was in the coupon book) and were very much pleased so we decided to stay here. When we got inside we were pleasantly surprised since it wasn't exactly like your everyday hotel room. Nice little sitting area with a couch and table (separate from the beds). Our room was right in front of the playground which was great for our 5 year old son. We were able to sit on the little porch which I just loved, to read a book and watch my son play. I regret we didn't stay here our entire time. I definetely would have drove the extra way back and forth to New Braunfels had I known about this hotel. I definetely recommend this hotel.

Liked alot

by TripAdvisor Member zeekford

Stayed for 3 nights with 2 young children. Kids thought the place was great. Quiet rooms, nice sitting area. The ac didn't work the best so it was a little warm at night. I would highly recommend this place. The only problem we had was that the beds were very hard. After the first night we went out and bought a mattress pad to put on the bed and it helped a little. Nice playground and pool.

It was "ok"

by TripAdvisor Member libbyswin

Stayed here March 12-17, and all in all it was fine for what it was. It was inexpensive at 79.00/nt for spring break. We requested a room near the pool to be able to get internet connection for the laptop we brought. When checking in a nice man was available to help with my luggage (curiously there are no luggage carriers, or carts for helping yourself), there is NO porter, just a handy man who offered, and i did tip him.

The lobby was quaint, and once on property it was nice. The pool courtyard was much better than the other rooms because if you want to sit on your porch, then the rooms facing the parking lot werent so hot. The free beer and nacho thing everyday was fun, very eclectic group of people from all walks of life, I did enjoy that. Breakfast was just barely ok. Packaged donuts and bagels and plain cheap cereal. Juice and coffee. No fruit, nothing but carbs.

Now on the room itself. I wasnt all that thrilled. The photos I saw portrayed a room with 2 sinks (one near the "kitchen" that was your bathroom sink, then the sink in the kitchenette) along with a 2 burner cook top, and a full sized refridgerator.. I had counted on this as I had brought some things like soup etc. What we recieved had a tiny itty bitty fridge with no freezer. No cook tops and a very tiny microwave that could NOT handle any to go box containers we had for our left overs. I wanted to heat my starbucks up and the cup wouldnt even fit inside...very small. The worst thing was the fact we had NO kitchen sink at all. The only sink we had was in the tiny kitchen area across from the tiny bathroom. I had to do my hair and my make up at the same area that we made coffee and nuked food. Very strange.

The room was not quite as clean as i had hoped for. I'm funny about linens. While the sheets were nice, the blankets were pilled up and had a few stray hairs tangled thru them (which freaked my son out) and the bedspreads had a lot of holes and stains in them. They felt unclean..very unclean. The very dark red carpet showed everything! Housekeeping didnt vacuum while i was there until i requested it...you can imagine my long hair being blown dry and brushed out on the floor in the kitchen..and all the sand from the area (tons of sand everywhere in the courtyard) being brought in on our shoes, it should have been obvious with a 5 night stay that you should vacuum. The couches had a couple of rips in them and there were left over maps and notes and various papers in the dresser drawer from previous guests. The bedroom lighting was very dark. Also dont expect the room to have a seperate sleeping/living room. I assumed there was a door seperating the two but there wasnt and the 2 tv's seemed futile since they were literally 15 ft apart, you couldnt watch tv in the "living area" if someone else was in the bedroom area. I did call the front desk to ask why my room was so different and they said i got a "standard room" HUH? I reserved a room, and there isnt such an animal as a standard room...its all the same rate, i think i just got unlucky, but hey i did get the pool area and my laptop did pick up most days.

On a plus the mattresses in our room had recently been changed and were very comfy! Nice and soft and i slept well each nite. The security guard was great, she busted some kids trying to sneak in the pool late one night while i was on my porch and she was firm with them. I appreciated how they made rounds.

The motel (its kind of like little mini cabins all connected) was booked solid and I did witness 2 different people being turned away who had reservations and confirmation numbers. I was shocked to hear the girl behind the counter tell these poor people with little kids that they werent in the system and there were no rooms to be had, i felt bad because whats the point of a confirmation number if someone can just say "your not in the system"!? SA was booked everywhere that weekend and i saw one of the Moms just break down and cry in the van :(

There is also a deal where they are selling time shares here. I met a lady who had to sit thru the schpeel and the price ended up being 8,000 for a time share in this Inn. I cant imagine it though...Its right next door to a tattoo parlor and a topless bar called the WILD ZEBRA. Just not the best part of town. Again i felt safe while inside the compound, but wouldnt venture out on foot anywhere nearby.

There are tons of places to eat within a 5 minute drive with easy access to six flags, the alamo and seaworld. Be careful tho, ,there is construction on every highway around. Very congested.

All in all i would stay here again in a pinch. I would rather stay closer to the alamo, or in a newer hotel, however if they finish remodeling I would probably enjoy it much more! Staff for the most part were very helpful and friendly (tho i did catch the nightshift guy doing very racey internet surfing late one night as i walked past the front desk windows...zi think i scared him LOL)

A. ask for the courtyard rooms.
B. Enjoy the hot tub at the back of the courtyard at night, that was beautiful.
C. Drink a couple of beers around 5 on the picnic area, meet some new people
D. Bring your own blankets!

Comments