Holiday Inn San Antonio Crockett / Alamo

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• doug48's Profile Photo

historic hotel

the crockett hotel is a historic hotel located near the alamo. the crockett hotel building is listed on the national list of historic places. this very nice hotel is owned by the same company as the menger. a nice change of pace from the newer high rise hotels in downtown san antonio.

Directions: downtown. block east of the alamo.

• Worse hotel I have ever stayed in

I stayed in a double bed room in the annex. While the lobbey looked very nice, the annex wasn't. The elevator closed on us as we were wheeling our luggage out, the carpet in the room was filthy. I walked barefoot from the shower to my bed and the soles of my feet were black! The hotel was fully booked and we were told there were no other rooms available. I would have left, but the friend I was with had won the trip from her employer. I wonder if they knew how bad it was?

Unique Quality: The pool area was very nice and the lobbey was attractive although very slick when wet.

More about Holiday Inn San Antonio Crockett / Alamo

eating and drinking

by doug48 about ernie's bar & grill

ernie's bar & grill is located in the historic crockett hotel near the alamo. this quiet bar is a great place to unwind after work or entertain business associates. business casual

Pleasantly Surprised!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member KilleenGirl

My family has always stayed at the Marriott Riverwalk. My stay at the Crockett Hotel started a new family tradition. It will be my first choice from now on. I was pleasantly surprised by my stay at the Crockett Hotel. I checked out the hotel site and it said that they were all booked up for the days I needed. I checked out a discount site....it may or may not have been Priceline I cannot remember. The site had a room available for $116.00 which was a good deal considering the location. I was taking my 11 year old niece during spring break to see the Alamo. I assumed that since the hotel was booked up and that the price was so low that I wouldn't be in the historic part and that I would be in a room that was yet to be remodeled. The day we checked in it was storming horribly in San Antonio. We got there in the morning and toured what we could in the weather. We still had 2 hours to go before we could check in. I decided to stop by the desk and ask if we could check in early. They gladly checked us in early. I think the girl at the front desk's name was Rivera. She was an angel. I was shocked and pleased to find out that our room was one that was newly remodeled. It was on either the 5th or 6th floor looking right down on the Alamo. We had the best view. It was so convenient to EVERYTHING. My niece and I saw a late IMAX movie and it was awesome to come out of the theater and only have to walk across the street. The hotel staff was so nice. The continental breakfast had so many items. It wasn't like a motel with 4 tables to eat at and only stale bagels and cereal to choose from. We sat at a nice table covered by a table linens. We did not have to use plastic utensils. I do not have one complaint....even though the weather was bad. My niece and I had a great time running around the city under an umbrella. I chose to post a review after reading how someone would not return to the hotel because they only had a couple of wines to choose from...... I guess I look at convenience of location and the hospitality of the staff. My opinion is that if the major complaint is that the wine list isn't extensive enough then the stay must not have been too bad. Oh, as a side note....make sure that while you are in San Antonio to check out El Mercado. I was born and raised in Texas and have been to San Antonio numerous times but my trip last year was the first time I ever went to El Mercado. It was awesome. It was Mexico without the cages of roosters, the half dead horses dragging carriages around full of tourists and the taxi drivers fighting over which one could drive you back to the border. You can buy knock off Dooney's, cheap silver jewelry, and Mexican blankets to your heart's content all in the safety of the U.S. borders.

Pleasantly Surprised!

by TripAdvisor Member ToughCritic4Sure

We just returned from a stay at the newly-renovated Crockett Hotel. I had seen all the terrible reviews, and was very concerned about what we would find upon arrival. We stayed in room 708, the Reiter Suite, which had a very comfortable king sized bed in it. All furniture appeared to be new, as was the carpet and paint. Our room included a refrigerator. Almost an entire wall (vaulted ceilings) was plantation blinds, which (though very attractive) did not keep the room very dark at night, and also caused us to wake up fairly early when the sun rose. Another irritating problem was the hotel's proximity to the Sunset Station. It seems the trains come in and out of this station all night, at what appeared to be about 10 minute intervals - blowing their whistles loudly for a significant time. Eventually I fell asleep, and was able to sleep through it (thanks to a couple of Tylenol PM!). You might ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel to attempt to reduce the train noise. The location of the hotel is very good, and it is a short easy walk to the Alamo and then to the RiverWalk. It is also very close to the RiverCenter mall. Check in and check out was fast and flawless, and the staff we encountered were friendly enough. All in all, a very good stay with the only issues as mentioned above. FYI, we are pretty discriminating travelers, and were debating back and forth between giving the Crockett a chance and just staying at the Hyatt on the RiverWalk.

shabby

by TripAdvisor Member flyingmonkey

I stayed here for a week while attending a convention, my colleague chose the hotel (and will never be allowed to book our accommodation again after this!). The location was good for the convention center, and also the riverwalk area (is across the road from the Alamo), so that's a plus. But the hotel itself was a bit shabby - tiny and ancient super-slow elevator, room had hideous decor, threadbare sheets, coarse greying towels etc - it wouldn't have been difficult for them to replace these things and make the place a whole lot nicer. The bathroom was a decent size and well lit, although the drain in the shower needed unblocking. I was really annoyed to be given a smoking room when i checked in, despite having booked non-smoking and specifying that again when they asked at check-in, and they seemed reluctant to move me to a non-smoking room when i requested (I'v stayed in smoking rooms with no problems before, but this one really stunk). There was no cable TV, no restaurant on-site, and no fridge in the room. They did have high-speed internet, which worked most of the time. No gym onsite, but can use the one at the Menger across the road (smells like a thousand armpits though, so consider yourself warned). There are much nicer hotels in this area, and this one isn't particularly cheap, so I'd suggest you stay elsewhere if visiting San Antonio.

Fantastic rooms and service

by TripAdvisor Member shipchaplain

We stayed at the Crockett for a conference and the place was fantastic. It has location, location, location. The remodeled rooms were fresh and clean, the service was great and the staff exceptionally helpful and courteous. Their conference sales staff helped us at every step of the process. Everything was just as they promised and ready when we needed it.
PS: Just remember...if you want friendly service treat the hotel staff like friends, not servants.

Loved the Crockett

by TripAdvisor Member kettlegirl

We had such a wonderful experience at this hotel. It was very clean and the staff could not have been more helpful. The front desk manager memorizes everyones name as they check in. How nice.The hotel is centrally located and we just had the car parked for the week and walked everywhere. Other than the ice machine being right outside and hearing it periodically thru the night it was great.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member outfielder

I loved the location, which is across the street from the Alamo. Across another street is a nice mall. It is just a few blocks away from the Riverwalk. You could spend several days in this hotel, and not need to drive anywhere, because you can walk to numerous attractions, restaurants, and shops. The staff was always friendly. The rooms were pretty basic, but definitely clean.

Davey Crockett HotelDavey Crockett Hotel