Holiday Inn San Antonio Northeast

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about San Antonio

Mission San JoseMission San Jose

Lower Bat observation seating at the Old TunnelLower Bat observation seating at the Old Tunnel

the alamothe alamo

Mocking Birds right outside the windowMocking Birds right outside the window

Riverwalk photo ops, & food!

by SandiM

I'm travelling with my mother who prefers to walk as little as possible along the riverwalk (just a touch of arthritis) but definitely wants to walk it. If I'm looking at a Google Map of the downtown area, which parts are the most scenic? I keep seeing a few cute bridges in some of the photos I've seen on the web, where are they? We will also be taking a tour in the boats (I think we can get our tickets at the Alamo?). Our hotel is the St Anthony. Also, can you suggest an interesting restaurant that's easy on the wallet and in a prime location? We love going to restaurants that are big on 'themes' but also has good value/selection. However, if it's also got an excellent view of the lit-up areas along the river, that would be great too. thanks!

Re: Riverwalk photo ops, & food!

by Florida999

You can walk to the Riverwalk from the Alamo, it is only a very short distance, and you can't miss it. You just walk down the stairs when you cross the river somewhere. We just went there in June. The boat trip is definitely worth it,not a tourist trap at all ( it sort of looks like one). You can buy the tickets in different areas along the Riverwalk, there are signs. Not sure about them being sold at the Alamo?! I didn't see that. My advice: plan in more time at the Riverwalk than the Alamo ( it is fairly small, and only takes half hour at the most). Restaurants: we went to a really good Tex-Mex one right on the River, forgot the name,sorry

Re: Riverwalk photo ops, & food!

by jlpretty

I would suggest going on the River Center Mall area, That way you can shop and there are several restaurants in that area that are reasonably priced. County Line Barbque is good and cheap. Texans love their barbque.

Travel Tips for San Antonio

The Bexar County Courthouse

by VeronicaG

It was a clear, sunny day as we walked along Main Plaza. The Bexar County Courthouse stood as a silent sentinel framed against the cool, blue sky.

San Antonio has seen four courthouses throughout the years: 1837, 1850, 1882 and the present structure built in 1892. The courthouse was constructed of red sandstone in the Romanesque Revival style by architect J. Riely Gordon. It was designed with a tall, picturesque tower and stately columns, which are hidden by the large tree on the grounds.

Arneson River Theater at La Villita

by Yaqui

Built in 1939 by designed by Robert Hugman and is named after Edwin Arneson this lovely theatre has been entertaining everyone from all over the world. I think was distinctly makes this theatre so different that all others are the fact a river runs through it and you can actually see a performance from a riverboat. One side sits the audience, while on the other side is the main stage. In 1978, the bells were rededicated to Robert H.H. Hugman.

Lone Star Cafe

by Ewingjr98

On our third day in San Antonio, I finally found a place where I could sit for more than two drinks... not only did I stay for four beers, but I decided this intersection of Lasoya and Alamo Streets was probably the best corner in the city with Tequila's and Pat O'Briens both within 20 yards.

Lone Star Cafe is the street-level portion of the building also containing Cafe Ole and Michelino's Italian joint. What made Lone Star great was itsoutdoor tables overlooking the Riverwalk, Lasoya Street, and the busy intersection of Lasoya, Commerce, and Alamo. We sat here for probably 2 1/2 to 3 hrs enjoying the cold Tecate, excellent service and outstanding view.

In late August 2006 I returned to San Antonio, hoping to have a seat at my favorite table at Lone Star, but it was all tore up and under construction. Hopefully whatever they end up with will be as good as the previous restaurant. I guess in a city like SA, everything has to be modern and up to date to attract customers. Nothing can be even a few years old...

BBQ in Lockhart

by Dabs about Smitty's

Texans are serious about their BBQ, post after post on travel boards suggested that you just couldn't get GREAT BBQ in San Antonio and that you had to head out to the Texas BBQ trail about an hour away from San Antonio. One fella even suggested that if Luling and Lockhart were too far to travel for GREAT BBQ then I didn't really deserve it! Well, if that isn't throwing down the gauntlet...

I thought we had missed our opportunity to go there when none of us was hungry on the drive from Austin to San Antonio but we decided to head up there for my last Texas meal before heading back to the cold of Chicago. It really was a toss up as to which one to try, we passed by City Market in Luling after reports of no forks or plates had me thinking we would have to eat in the car. Smitty's was the 1st we came across in Lockhart so we stopped there, Black's was probably just a couple of blocks away.

You order your meat from the men doing the smoking in the back of the place while feeling the heat from the pits, there's a menu on the wall. Then you go inside and order your drinks and sides and then have a seat at one of the long communal tables. Service here wasn't terribly friendly but no matter, the food was good and sometimes that's all that counts.

Smitty's was named as one of the 5 best BBQ places in the June 2008 issue of Texas Monthly. It's located in the building that used to be the Kreuz Market that was run by current owner Nina Schmidt Sells' father for 50 years. In 1999, his three kids had a disagreement and one of his sons opened another Kreuz Market in Lockhart, also listed as one of the top 5 BBQ places in Texas Monthly. The other 3 are in Lexington: Snow’s BBQ, Luling: City Market and Taylor: Louie Mueller Barbeque.

**CASH OR CHECKS ONLY** Smitty's didn't have any plates or forks either, they pull off enough sheets of butcher paper to absorb all the grease and hold the food and then plop your selection on it, we tried ribs, brisket and sausage here, all of it excellent. The give you plastic knives to cut the meat with but no forks, you're eating with your hands here! I washed mine down with a Big Red soda, had to try one on my last day in Texas.

You have to ask for BBQ sauce here, they were putting it in little plastic cups when we were there otherwise I would have assumed they just didn't have any. Meat for the three of us was $27, the sides and drinks were probably another $6-8.

Alamo is a must see monument

by atufft

I wasn't around when the Alamo opened for tours, so my coverage is a little short here. But, I would say that one needs no more than 30 minutes to get all the camera angles of the exterior building and grounds in the area, including the monument to the defenders. At the time of the defense, the Alamo looked different than it does today (or in the John Wayne movie). The defense wasn't just of the building, but also of the entire grounds. It was not an ideal place to defend. The walls are only about 8 feet high along the perimeter, and the corners provided poor angles for defensive fire. An open space in the wall had to be mounded with earth and spikes and was extremely difficult to defend. The 300 some defenders hoped to hold off the 10,000 or so Mexican army until the Texas freedom fighters arrived to save them. They held out for nearly a month, but the Mexican's must not have been too serious about taking the tiny mission turned fortress. Sam Houston, leader of the Texas army for independence, recognized that even his army had no immediate hope of success on the battlefield against the Mexican army, and he apparently wasn't overly eager to commit troops at the time.

Comments