Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort And Spa

Costs 102% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort And Spa

Quiet, relaxing & pretty

by TripAdvisor Member teddyf

We stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country somewhat by accident after booking through priceline for around $70.00 per room per night. Once we found the hotel (road was under construction and we drove right by the turn) it was a welcome site. The hotel sits on a glorious piece of land and it is relaxing just driving onto the hotel grounds. The hotel was tastefully decorated in a Texas lone star theme and the amenities were top notch. It was missing an indoor pool. The outdoor pools were glorious but it was too cold during our late January stay to take a swim. The exercise room, common areas, walking paths - all made this hotel a quiet destination unto itself. The guest soap was the added bonus that made our stay. I love nice soap and this verbena scent was wonderfu. We took the remainder of both bars home.Two complaints, minor, but worth noting. The television was at equal height to the bed (not elevated) requiring one to sit up in bed to watch TV. The bathroom had no fan. It is a pet peeve of mine in so many hotel bathrooms that the fan automatically turns on with the light. This one had no fan.We skipped the overpriced meals at the hotel and found it difficult to find food close by. It was a 30 minute drive into downtown San Antonio.

Something to think about....

We went down to the Hyatt Hill Country in March 2004. When you drive up to the property, it reminds you of a plantation style hotel. It has a wonderful lobby with large leather chairs. The staff was helpful and nice at check in. The grounds are very beautiful, with soft green grass. The lazy river was so nice, very relaxing. In the Summer though, this would only be a recommendable place to take children. We were there in March and we were the only couple ther without kids. This places screams kids. If the children are being well behaved, it's one thing. Some parents were letting their pre-teen and teenagers go free without supervision, which was annoying. Just outside of the lobby they have incredible large rocking charis that you can sit and relax. We loved this. We sat out at the pool for hours, having drinks and snacks.
Watch out for you teen age daughters. The staff has no problem with checking them out, which I found terribly innappropriate.

We did not eat at Antler's, which is the upscale restaurant. This place averages about $35 per entree and up. Dressy clothing required. I like to relax on vacation. We ate at the other restaurant and had the prime rib buffet at $19.95 per person. Best ribs we have ever had.

The rooms are not worh a penny over $150/nt. Most of the rooms have not been renovated and are very worn. We have never slept on a bed so hard.
We almost left after our first night because we had a back ache. Noisy beds too. We called housekeeping though the second night and they brought us an egg crate. That made it a lot better. Most rooms have great balconies.

All in all, this is a great family resort. All families will love it.
Rates can get so high, so watch for specials. Once this property is renovated (in process) it will be alot better.

Feel free to email with questions.

txgoles@yahoo.com

Great Family Vacation

We had a wonderful vacation at the Hill Country Hyatt in San Antonio. One word of warning;if you are looking for a romantic "getaway", or a quiet weekend, this may not be the best choice in the summer. We were there May 21-23. We took our children with us. The hotel has a beautiful lobby and beautiful grounds. The rooms are a little outdated, but we didn't spend a whole lot of time in our room. There are a multitude of activities:the Rambling River was wonderful; it winds around the grounds, never moving too fast that you can't stand up if necessary; it also is never deeper than 3 feet. They have a manmade beach;bring your sandpail,etc. They roast s'mores at the pit behind the beach at dusk. They have a full-size jungle gym, and a regulation Volleyball court. They also have bicycles you can borrow; from tricycle, to training wheels, to adult bicycles. The main pool has a portion that has a water-volleyball net set up. There are waterfalls at both the main pool and the "adult only" pool. They also have a "baby pool" and a hot tub (though, both of these were closed Sunday morning to be cleaned). We ate poolside both days; cheeseburgers were huge. We also did the dining room for breakfast; kids under three are free for the buffet; kids under 6 are $6.50 for the buffet (it was a great buffet with fresh fruit, migas, eggs, homemade biscuits, omelet bar, waffle bar, etc) They also offer on most of their menu's a kids menu, where the prices are greatly reduced. There is a refridgerator in the room. The staff was extremely friendly. Other tip: try eating at Rudy's around the corner from the resort(excellent Barbeque) We also did SeaWorld; it was great. Bring a change of clothes and a towel for Shamu's Splashzone, and for the water rides. Finally, we got a great rate on Hotwire, but be alert when you check out. There is a $12.00/ day Resort Fee, not included in your rate.

definitely a kid deal

I agree with much of what the other reviewers said- rooms a little shabby, great for kids but NOT for couples, organized activities good, pretty setting, can be pricey. On this last note- I don't believe anybody in the place pays full price unless the company is picking up the tab. There are all kinds of deals. I found the staff (all young) to be friendly & helpful, although the girls did tend to congregate & chat instead of taking care of business. My only other comment would be on food. Like a theme park you are basically a captive audience, but not totally. The fine dining restaurant was very good & fairly romantic but very expensive. The "family" type restaurant was terrible- kids running everywhere, food not very good & overpriced. The country store sandwiches & burgers were pretty good but also overpriced. The breakfast cafe is OK but also expensive for what is bascially I-Hop quality. If you have a car get out of there, especially at dinner. At least here you do have that option.

Not worth the $$$$$$

Rented a 1-BR Suite for 6 nights. Checked out after 3 nights. The suite was so out-dated it was a joke for the rate of $490.00 per night. The carpet was stained, the condition of the furniture was very old. There was no welcoming packet. The pages were falling out of the hotel book.
They offered water in the suite for $4.50 per bottle. As soon as I walked in I was dissapointed. They call it the HILL Country, the view from my suite was awful. NO Hills, flowers or any type of a view but a grassy area and a few trees. The weather was cloudy while we were there, and we did use the ramblin river once. The pool areas had a lot of trash that was not picked up regularly. They stated that a trasportation service was available to go to sea world, however I called them and they said it was out of season and that I would need to get a cab.

rude, rude, rude!!

The rooms are super small for the price. Although the resort is nice, the staff is not. It seemed because of my race, no one believed that I was an actual guest. I was actually lounging in the pool area, and one of the employees came up to me and said, "you need to start picking up towels around the pool". I was shocked! She obviously thought that I was an employee. Also, the wait service was terrible. Although I am from the city, I just wanted to enjoy a relaxing evening at a resort. I should have gone somewhere else.

too expensive for what you get

by TripAdvisor Member MomTX

The outside river is great for kids, but the rooms compare to a motel 6! There is no room to turn around and they are dirty!!! We had bugs everywhere and the sheets looked as if they had not been laundered. Any resort that caters tofamilies should know that you need room for your family.

loved the hyatt

the hyatt in san antonio was a great time. the swimming pool was great, the service was outstanding. they took every effort to make your stay enjoyable, from food to fun, it was lovely

Great but needs some work

This was my second stay at the Hyatt. The room was better this time however they really need to be renovated for the $$$$ you pay to stay there. The spa facilities were wonderful but the massage I received was by far the worst I have ever gotten. Same goes for my husband. The staff wasn't as friendly this time and the concierge was clueless. They also need to be more prepared on rainy days. When it started to rain they put a few activities in the lobby for the kids, but the games were missing pieces and there really wasn't anything else to do. I think we're going to try the LaCantera next time.

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort

by Nev57

The main reason I went to San Antonio was to spend a very indulgent week at this resort. Among golfers it is renowned as one of THE places to play. But it has a lot more to offer than spectacular golf courses.

The Alamo, San Antonio, outside the gift shopThe Alamo, San Antonio, outside the gift shop

Lucas and Shamu!Lucas and Shamu!

Funnel Cake--warm and delicious!Funnel Cake--warm and delicious!

San Fernando CathedralSan Fernando Cathedral

Motels Inside Sea World

by Elsie&Maggie

Please let me know if there are any motels INSIDE Sea World like at Disney World. If not, are there any motels across the street from Sea World? Thanks

RE: Motels Inside Sea World

by hoofhearted

Hi Elsie&Maggie,

There are two nice "resort" style hotels directly across from Sea World. The Hyatt Hill Country resort and the Radisson Resort. Two different price levels, but both very convenient and comfortable (maybe a 15 minute walk) to the gate. I believe both hotels have shuttles that will take you to the park, too.

No in-park hotels there (yet).

RE: Motels Inside Sea World

by lanew1

I just stayed at the Renaisance (correct spelling? kinda late) last week...not bad...god pool, touristy, but heh, you are in ORLANDO! Anyway the hotel is directly across the street from Sea World. The food is actually pretty decent for a hotel AND they have 24-hour room service. Downside, it's about 35.00 to take a cab to d.t. Orlando...check out the Skybar (in d.t.) if you're there Thurs -Sat.
cheers,
lane

tubing in San Antonio Hotel

by colling

What hotel is it that has the tubing outside available? Thanks, g

by bocmaxima

You can't tube on the San Antonio River. There are just the boats. Tubing is 30 or so miles outside the city on the Guadalupe in the town of Gruene near New Braunfels, or on the Comal. I was told that there's also some on the Frio west of SA, but it's not as developed.
If you're going soon, I don't think they'll be open right now because they've had some crazy flooding on those rivers recently. Make sure to call first.

by hoofhearted

Hey G,
The tubing you mention is at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort, in west San Antonio. It is about 15 miles from the airport, so if you're flying in you will need to hire a car, or about a $30.00USD cab ride.

Closer to the airport is the Westin La Cantera. They do not have tubing on property like the Hyatt, but they are next door to Six Flags theme park (they have a great water park).

Anything else??

by jlpretty

Hi,
Check out
Drury Inn and Suites,
201 North Saint Marys Street, San Antonio.
It is remodeled and boasts a rooftop pool and hot tub with a great view. I haven't ever stayed there but it sounds great. Plus it is right on the riverwalk.
Have fun!