La Quinta Inn San Antonio SeaWorld Ingram Park

Rated 17% lower than similarly priced 2 star hotels

More about San Antonio

Zio'sZio's

Heart of Hill Country; atop Old TunnelHeart of Hill Country; atop Old Tunnel

river walk cruiseriver walk cruise

Me writing letters & postcards at the Alamo PlaceMe writing letters & postcards at the Alamo Place

Feedback on plans to visit caverns

by NZAPA

We're planning a visit to San Antonio in April (school trip) and we're looking at hiring a Charter to visit local caverns and caves. The tentative plan is to go to Natural Bridge cavern then Cascade Cavern. We would then go to New Braunfels for a short visit before heading to Wonder World in San Marcos. The plan is to return via Seguin (wildflowers) back to San Antonio. Does this trip sound reasonable for a day trip (9-5)? Do you think it will be interesting for Middle School students?
Thanks for any feedback.
John

by TexasDave

It sounds to me like you'll be just running from one cavern to another all day long. You have to calculate at least 3 hours just on traveling, plus timeout to eat lunch. I think I would eliminate one of the stops you mentioned- after all, one cave is pretty much just like another.

by bocmaxima

I have a clear vision of a couple of field trips from middle school, so I'll make a couple of suggestions here:
- Do one cavern. If I was in middle school, one would absolutely be enough.
- What are you looking to do in New Braunfels? I would go to Gruene instead.
- I don't know that Seguin will end up with much time alloted to it. It's best to leave that at the end as you're doing. Do you have a spot picked out for wildflowers? I recall them mostly growing in highway medians, and that's certainly the last place you want middle schoolers.

I'd never heard of Wonder World. It makes me think of Beverly Hills Cop 3.

by NZAPA

Thanks for the input, it's difficult not actually being in the area. The main objective is to see some geological formations and some terrain. The regular tours available seem geared toward older adults. If we focus toward the North west of San Antonio what would you recommend?
John

I lived in central Texas for nine years

by PR-7

And there are about 1000 things I'd recommend in the area over any of the caves. Unless the kids are demanding to go down into a cave, don't even bother with a visit -- the effort, time, and cost involved in going can be better spent just about anywhere else in the area.

At ABSOLUTE most I'd recommend one cave, then go on to something more interesting.

Travel Tips for San Antonio

check out the Visit San Antonio tourist website

by uysijessa

Aside from checking out tips on VT (of course!) I so so strongly urge everyone to also check out the official tourist website of San Antonio, www.visitsanantonio.com. The website is complete and packed full of all the info you'll ever need for your visit. They've even got maps and coupons you can download! I swear the coupons are so handy especially if you're traveling on a budget (like we were). I absolutely loved this website and was super super helpful to us. Along with VT (of course!) this website saved us a lot of time and hassle during our trip.

The Tin Men

by msbrandysue

While I was exploring the Missions Trail I found these tin men in a field by the Mission San Juan. It was funny to see them in the middle of a field so I had to pull over on my leisure trip. San Juan is a bit off the beaten path, far from the main, busy city roads. So, it's quite the cute sight and it's probably even more fun with the kiddos.

Salsa

by BellaMora about Arjon's International Club

Its a nice spot on Fridays and Saturdays for salsa. Friday is an older crowd and Saturday is the 25 and up crowd. They have a live band all the time. There seems to always be a $5 cover.

They used to do R&B on Tues. Check the website. Elite and classy.
No sneakers. Jeans seem to be ok if you have a nice top -men.
The ladies always dress for salsa dancing.

for Barbeque: Tom's Ribs 410...

by BRoach

for Barbeque: Tom's Ribs 410 and Vance Jackson or Nachodoches between loops 410 and 1604.

for TexMex: Alamo Cafe I 10 and Wurzbach or San Pedro outside loop 410
for pizza: EZ's all over the place

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park

by 4122clee

The phone number listed by many of the virtual tourists for San Antonio Missions National Historical Park is incorrect. The Visitor Center phone number is 210.932.1001, and for the Administrative Office is 210.534.8833.

Comments