Radisson Hotel San Antonio Downtown Market Square

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Radisson Hotel San Antonio Downtown Market Square

Hooters Rivercenter MallHooters Rivercenter Mall

The LBJ White house on the Pedernales RiverThe LBJ White house on the Pedernales River

market squaremarket square

Museum is at the Alamo PlazaMuseum is at the Alamo Plaza

Surprise 50th Birthday Trip

by upspam

I am planning a surprise birthday trip for my husband's 50th to San Antonio on March 14-16th. We have never been there before. It will be my 3 grown children, and my Mother In Law (78). We are flying in and not renting a car to save cost. I am wondering your recommendations on where to stay on the Riverwalk that will not be terribly expensive and be close to all attractions. ALl the hotel sites seem to have different ratings. We need to use the trolley and public transportaion and want to see everything. Any suggestions on restaurants and other things "not to miss" would be great. Thanks.

by Tricky_Dicky69

Hi, when we went to San Antonio we went on a glass bottom boat trip which was fab. The boat travelled down the coast and had a commentary telling you facts about things that you can see along the way. The trip goes as far as Es Vedra which is an island inhabited by thousands of birds and wild goats. See my pages for more details.
Have a good time.

by hoofhearted

Not sure what Tricky Dicky was drinkin' there in the tub!! Here on the Riverwalk, we don't have glass bottom boats, or wild goats. So here are my local favorites;

Lodging (remember, San Antonio is a convention town, so rates are higher over demand dates) - Radisson Market Square($), Homewood Suites Riverwalk($$), Emily Morgan Hotel($$$), Best Western Sunset Station($$). This gives you a variety of pricing and location.

Dining - Mi Tierra at the Market Square, Madhatters (King William District), County Line BBQ (Riverwalk).

Not to Miss - There is an Alamo Trolley Tour (Hop on, Hop off) that hits most of the highlights downtown. All hotels listed are on the trolley route for public transit, day passes are available. Of course the following; The Alamo, Rio San Antonio river cruise, Tower of Americas.

Have fun!!

by upspam

Ha-Ha...I thought the same thing about the tub...What do you think about the Sheraton Gunter? I got us rooms on the club level and it looks historic unique. Is it close enough to the riverwalk? Any restaurant recomenndations? Thanks.

by Rixie

I believe Dicky is talking about San Antonio, Spain, rather than San Antonio, Texas.

by Tricky_Dicky69

Sorry folks, wrong San Antonio - my advice was for San Antonio, Ibiza, Spain.

by hoofhearted

You'll be very happy with the Sheraton Gunter, very historic, and just went through a renovation. The Riverwalk is a short 5 minute walk from the hotel, you can catch a river barge at the Holiday Inn Riverwalk 1/2 block away. I would recommend Acenar for Mexican food (kitty corner at the Hotel Valencia) or Houston Street Bistro across the street.

Enjoy!

by upspam

Thanks...I appreciate the tips and will report back...

Travel Tips for San Antonio

The Plaza ...

by Cherie_J

This photo was taken from the window in my office. My view isn't the best since this side backs up to another building. Nonetheless, it lets in the sunshine ...so I am happy!

You might be able to detect a little plaza off to the right. When I am able I enjoy going down there to eat my lunch. I like to sit at a park bench on the far end. I have made friends with these 2 little squirrels. It is so thrilling watching them get sooo close to me. They will almost take the food from my hand.

It is a great place to get some fresh air, have a little picnic, and people watch. I generally bring a book or my other little projects. (Generally, a baby blanket I am crocheting a ruffle for various friends who are expecting.)

Durty Nelly's

by Ewingjr98

Famous for its risque piano music, Durty Nelly's is probably the most fun place to drink in San Antonio. This place also has all you can munch peanuts with shells all over the place...inside no problem; outside watch out for the flocks of pigeons. With a great beer selection, I had no problem ordering a local Shiner Bock ($4.75), while my companion had a New Castle ($5.25). We sat outside where the volume of the music was bearable, but the pigeons were not.

Jacala for Mexican. Casey's...

by courtneymay

Jacala for Mexican. Casey's BBQ. Lorenzo's for Italian. Clear Springs for catfish. Longhorn Cafe or the Texas Hamburger Company for great burgers. So many great places so little time. The view from the Tower Restaurant makes the trip up worth it.
Great Food. Far too many to name. It's ALL excellent!

Alamo

by Yaqui

In 1724 as Mission San Antonio de Valero (Alamo) was constructed to house missionaries and there Indian converts. These occupants purpose was to farm the fields and learned to maintained there own governing. Then in the 1800's the Spanish established small cavalry there who named it Alamo meaning cottonwood and is the first recorded hospital. The Alamo served as home to the Spanish, Rebels, and Mexican military over period of time. Then Feb 23, 1836 substantial events started happening that lead up to a 13 day battle of Texas Independence, and on March 6, 1836 became the finally assault of the Mexican army of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna soldiers that emerged on the mission of two hundred Texas volunteers who were desperately struggling for Texas independence. Yet, as sunrise fell that the battle was over losing all two hundred Texas Volunteers and including that of Jim Bowie and David Crockett to Santa Anna's assault. (Some dependence did survive)Although, the battle was lost but was the beginning of Texas Independence and the Alamo will be forever held as hallowed ground and a shrine to liberty.

river walk (paseo del rio)

by doug48

next to the alamo the river walk is san antonio's most visited attraction. the river walk was the idea of robert hugman in the late 1920's. he wanted to call the project the shops of "aragon and romula". funding for the river walk came in 1939 as a WPA project. sidewalks were built along the the river and over 20 bridges were constructed. the river walk was completed in 1941. today the river walk is lined with restaurants, bars, and shops. a must see site when in san antonio.

Comments