Rodeway Inn

Despegar.com Tingo.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about San Antonio

Guenther House VerandahGuenther House Verandah

Downtown San Antonio from Cav/Art Parade GroundDowntown San Antonio from Cav/Art Parade Ground

Much better to go during Christmas!Much better to go during Christmas!

RiverwalkRiverwalk

California family moving to San Antonio

by CA_to_SA

I have visited San Antonio a couple of times and we love it....we even went last August to get a taste of what a summer would be like. My family is originally from Texas and I was raised and live on California's Central Coast and the weather is always great, but the idea of one parent staying home is worth it to us giving up the great weather.

We have four children (6, 11, 13, 14) and would like to know what areas in SA have great public schools? I was looking at Castle Hills area.....is anyone familiar with this part of SA? The public and private schools in Castle Hills? Or perhaps there are other great places in SA to raise my family, please feel free to recommend. Any information would be appreciated.

Also, my background is in finance/accounting.....are there career opportunities close to Castle Hills?

Thanks.

by rtlopez

Hello,

I saw your post and I had just posted a similar question on another site and wanted to forward what the responses were. I know all of the information is subjective but may be helpful to you. As far as career opportunities, perhaps you can ask that question on that website as well? I don't see you having any difficulty if you do move to the Castle Hills area b/c it is centrally located. I live in the Alamo Heights area and my husband and I had considered moving to Castle Hills area b/c it's so beautiful and you get more sq. footage for the $ plus we thought more opportunities for diversity. The Alamo Heights area is also well-established and quite beautiful. We are still unsure as to what we are going to do. I know you are asking about Castle Hills but I also wanted to mention (since you have some older children) the Alamo Heights school system which is exceptional here in San Antonio. Clark HS (Northside ISD), and Churchill (Northeast ISD) high schools also have fine reputations (in that order). Shavano Park is in the Clark High School area and is beautiful as well. Churchill HS is a feeder to several elementary/junior high schools. Good luck to you. I hope this helps somewhat. RTL

by jlpretty

I am from southern california and you will go through culture shock but your standard of living will improve greatly. I live in a big beautiful house and have everything I want. I am getting used to it here but things have improved as many businesses are moving here. You should have no problem getting a job and buying a house you want. Good luck and sorry for such a late reply.
Try Monster.com

by rsleisk

Moving from California to San Antonio the housing market is great, here you will get more for your money. I've heard stories of people selling their expensive modest homes in California and buying a mansion here in San Antonio.

Castle Hills is nice area. Older homes with septic tanks though. I would not move anywhere near 1604 and 281 or Blanco and 1604, although these are nice areas the traffic is horrendous. I would also not move anywhere near Bandera and 1604 because of similar heavy traffic.

There is a lot of growth up I-10 west corridor near Fiesta Texas heading toward Boerne. The commute from here is only about 20 minutes. The area is still developing but has alot of new shopping and here you get a slice of the Hill Country.

Shavano Park is another suggestion or the area between NW Military and Locke-Hill Selma.

As far as public schools Clarke is a good high school. Try to get in with USAA and your golden.

by CA_to_SA

Thank you all for all your replies...the information is very helpful. I'm taking a trip solo at the end of this month for one week to look around and see if I get the feeling that this is the right move for my family.

Thanks!

Travel Tips for San Antonio

Do a few laps of the Ramblin'...

by Nev57

Do a few laps of the Ramblin' River.

Take a tube, place it in the gently flowing River. Soon you will get to the bar. Pull in, order your favourite cocktail and float away with a happy grin. If you an Aussie drinking beer, you will be ready for your next drink the next time you pass the bar. Otherwise keep going around and pull in to the bar when your glass is empty. Surely this is how they drink in heaven?

Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents

by Maria250

"Remarks at the American Legion Convention in San Antonio, Texas
August 29th, 2001

Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents

Thank you all very much for that warm welcome. It's my honor to welcome you to my home State. We need the rain, so I appreciate you bringing it from all around the country. I want you to know, you're in a military town. The people of this city (San Antonio) are always proud to honor those who serve and those who wear the uniform today.."

Get Around With the Big Pass

by KimberlyAnn

We traveled around San Antonio on the city's Metropolitan Transit System. We purchased the Big Pass, which allows you to take unlimited rides for a full month on the Metropolitan Transit system. This included both the buses and the streetcars. In the six days we were there we used this pass for all travel except our Off the Beaten Path excursions. We more than got our money's worth out of it. If you have a pass, be sure to ride the Streetcars, just to see some of the areas around the town. This is also the best way to get from downtown to the King William area. And of course, don't forget to take that glass elevator up to the top of the Tower of the Americas.

Besides the Big Pass you may also purchase a Day Tripper pass, which will allow you unlimited travel on the city bus and the streetcar for one day. You may also purchase fares for single bus or streetcar routes.

Visit their website for up to date information on prices, routes, and a list of locations where passes may be purchased.

We Ate Breakfast Here...

by VeronicaG about CHAPS

CHAPS is located at the Hyatt Regency Hotel on the lobby level. Our day began here each day with a hearty breakfast. I became addicted to the waffles which are made in the shape of Texas--and to prove it I included it with this tip!

Your meal can be ordered from the menu or you can partake of the breakfast buffet. Pastry assortments, eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit salad, bagels, pancakes, omelets and other items are offered with the buffet. Although the fruit wasn't all that ripe, we thought the food was hearty fare and the staff friendly.

Riverwalk

by taryn21

On one of my first days in San Antonio, I went on this little boat tour along the Guadalupe River, which runs through the heart of San Antonio. What a great way to see some of the gorgeous buildings and cute little shops along the Riverwalk. I thought it was definitely worth it!!

Comments