The St. Anthony Hotel San Antonio - A Wyndham Historic Hotel

See Hotels with Lower Price

Tags

Family Travel Festivals Historical Travel
See Amenities

very pretty hotel -- old and historic--hot !!!!!!

by written on September 6, 2010

HOT !! The air conditioning is archaic. There are fans set up all over the hotel. The front desk staff seemed "surprised" that our room was 95 degrees in summertime in San Antonio. They were so helpful and sent up "engineering" to check out the problem. ha ha. The air conditioning is non-existent in the hotel. If you can't stand to be hot -- DO NOT stay here.
Even the lobby and bar / lounge --Pete's Pub-- was unbearable. It also smelled of sewer.

It is so sad because the "bones" of the hotel are beautiful. We would have loved the location and the history had it not have been so musty smelling and hot.

The wait staff when we checked in was awesome. We had an infant. He helped us tow all the stuff we had from the car and helped us in getting much needed fans to recirculate the stagnant air. When checking into our room--we had booked online--we were given a mini suite when in fact we had booked a suite. We were downgraded and had to move rooms at midnight with a baby.

This hotel haqs definite possibilities. We understand from staff at the property that a new owner has recently purchased the property. Painting on the outside of the building was taking place while we were there.

We are hoping that they can restore it to it's past beauty. It is big and grand.

Unique Quality: Historic and grand. The furniture and lay out of the hotel is beautiful. The park across the street was beautiful. We did not see homeless, scary people everywhere as other reviews stated. We did not hear any ghosts as other reviewers stated. The walls are plaster and thick -- we only heard our neighbors on one occasion and we were there 3 nights.

Directions: Downtown with great accessibility to the River Walk and the Alamo. We loved the area.

WWOOOWWWW!!!!!!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 28, 2009

I booked this hotel online at Priceline.com. As you know you have to purchase before you can read the previous reviews already posted a Priceline.com. I am not that computer literate so I couldn't post this review on Priceline. So I'm here at the ST Anthony site. I really didn't think that this hotel was going to be aplace that I would want to stay at. It was rated a 3 star hotel. There were so many complaints. No air, no hotel water, slow staff. But I have no complains abpout this hotel. When I checked in a night Frank and TRish were very pleasant and helpful. I got like the best room. There were 2 very large beds in my room. Yea I had to climb in being under 5 feet, but oh well. Housekeeping supplied towels and cleaned my room for the whole 5 days that I was there. The bellman was available to summond a cab for me everytime that I needed one. I did eat at the buffet bar for breakfast one morning and the food was okay. However like most buffets the food was not hot (my only complaint). I was informed of the Wyndham by Request the first night that I checked in. So I got the free internet. And I don't want to forget the day staff of Joe and that crew. Lastly I want to say thanks to Frank. On the last night that I spent at the St Anthony I was a little sad and crying, Frank to ok the time to console me. He offered to help me in any way that he could. For me the ST Anthony is a 5 star hotel. I liked the historical part also. Kudos to the staff.

Unique Quality: The most outstanding feature was the 2 bathrooms in the room that I had. My neice enjoyed the pool and the free long distance. We both enjoyed the free internet.

Move along...

by written on July 25, 2008

We recently spent 4 nights at this hotel. After reading the recommendations we requested a newly renovated room. I have stayed in many older, renovated hotels including another Wyndham historic hotels in Galveston, Texas. I love the charm and history. The St. Anthony reminds me of Zsa Zsa Gabor. Patched up and glamourous from afar, but don't look too close.

Our "renovated" room on the 9th floor was badly done. There were paint splotches everywhere in the bathroom. Graffiti on the bathroom door. Broken tile completed the picture. The paint job in the room was poorly done and it already had damage to the wall. Requesting washcloths from housekeeping, we were treated like we had just committed grand larceny. Worst of all, the a/c didn't work properly in our room. July heat in Texas is no joke and we spent many nights suffering from the heat. A ceiling fan would have done wonders. Talking with another guest on another floor, confirmed that the problem wasn't isolated to our floor. This hotel boasts it was the first hotel in the world to have a/c. Apparently, they have the original system.

The service was horrid. We walked into the hotel dragging our suitcases and carry ons. The bellboy David walked right past us with a luggage cart. I had my son grab one of the carts nearby only to be scolded by the same bellboy that we weren't "allowed" to use the carts by ourselves. We allowed him to load up our possessions and tipped him well despite his rude treatment. He snubbed us whenever we were in the elevator together. The front desk personnel was passable, but barely.

They are still renovating the hotel. The front looks great and the lobby and the Peacock walk are gorgeous. We caught a glimpse of the side of the hotel walking back from the Riverwalk and gasped. The windows are broken out and it basically looks like a vacant building. The homeless are everywhere including at the park across the street. I felt uneasy passing several people that clearly were not well mentally. I felt safer in New York City last summer.

Parking was expensive, even self-parking which is at a lot across from the hotel. We used a lot on the other side of a nearby church. This church also feeds the homeless in the park, so be prepared to wade through them to get to your car. I know I sound stuck up, but this was really a problem. Especially with 2 small children. I live in a major city in Texas, and we don't have this many homeless people by far.

We won't be staying again.

Unique Quality: Peacock walk was gorgeous. Beds were comfy and clean. Bathroom was clean.

Directions: Riverwalk area

A Wonderful Experience!!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 26, 2008

We had a wonderful experience at The Saint Anthony in San Antonio. The staff was friendly, courteous and attentive. The room itself was clean, comfortable, and classic. The location was perfect. A short walk to The Riverwalk, The Alamo, the Buckhorn Museum the mall and many, many eateries. We were there to attend graduation ceremonies at Lackland AFB which was about 10-15 minutes away depending on traffic. The hotels' location was convenient because it was about two blocks from everything downtown where most of our time was spent. We went to our room to cool off several times each day because the temperature reached over 100 degrees just about every day we were there. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who will be visiting their sons/daughters at Lackland AFB. You won't be disappointed. The hotel parking fee was $17 a night but you would pay that and more to park anywhere downtown if you could even find a place to park. In the end we saved time & money. **I also recommend bringing a GPS if you have one or renting one if you are renting a car.**

Unique Quality: Our room had two very comfortable queen beds with two bathrooms. Also a a sitting area with a full sized dresser and mirror. Very clean, comfortable and spacious. I would defiantly stay there again.

bookworm101's Profile Photo

By all means visit the lobby, just don't book!

by written on May 19, 2008

Chipped furniture, drawer handle missing, wall covering starting to peel.
Room phone never worked properly (buttons "stuck")
Wretched room service breakfast. Stale pastries and unripe fruit.

Coffee pot in room did work nicely and Maxwell house was the brand made available.

No gift shop or sundry store (although that is hardly a problem in San Antonio)

Unique Quality: The lobby is terrific, you should stop by to view it.

The park across the street is attractive.

TaberTouch's Profile Photo

Historic and convenient

by written on April 27, 2008

If you like ambience, this place has it in abundance. If you want modern amenities, look elsewhere. Most bizarre aspect of this: the only full-length mirrors I found anywhere were in the elevators!

Convenient to the Riverwalk and the historic areas, but some of the areas to walk through to get there might make some uneasy. It's pretty high priced for what you get, unless (like me) you are attending an event there. The up-side is that means it wasn't fully booked, even though it was Fiesta week and most hotels were packed.

Unique Quality: No smoking permitted ANYWHERE in the hotel! A big plus to me. It also had a business center with two computers and a printer, with Internet access, no extra fee, so printing your return flight boarding pass is easy.

Directions: A few blocks north and west of the Alamo

Alazzo1's Profile Photo

If you like old Historic Hotels and poor service

by written on May 9, 2007

When we arrived by cab there were two busmen in the parking garage who made no effort to help us with our bags. We entered the side lobby and were impressed with the fine old paintings and furniture. A busman named Joe met us when we arrived at the desk and took our bags to be store until our room was ready around 3pm. We did the Riverwalk and I called at 3:30 the room was not ready, finally at 4pm it was ready, a junior suite on the 4th floor by the elevator. We are Wyndham by Request members so we expected the up grade what we didn't expect was a inside room with a view of the roof and a very old noisey air conditioning unit The floor vibrated the phone in the living room didn't work the fridge was missing and it was noisey. We spent one night and ask for the WBR manager who said he could not give a upgrade to a better suite because he wouldn't and that he had never had complaints about his favorite room before. After more conversation he moved us to a corner suite on the same floor. It was old, large, had a fridge and coffee maker and a livng room with boarded up windows. The bedroom was nice and the walk in shower worked but it is old out dated and musty smelling or should I say historic smelling. The reunion group was across the hall and the partied way into the wee hours of the night. Plus the street noise kept my wife up.
We been in historic hotels and B&Bs but this hotel really needs some updating. We would never go back. We were here for 4 nights in October 2006. We would stay at a Hotel on the Riverwalk on our next trip to San Antonio

Unique Quality: This Historic Hotel now run by Wyndham has a beautiful lobby called Peacock Alley. It is a very busy wedding and convention spot. While we were there a wedding and a reunion were going on. It is located across the street from Travis Park the hang out of many, many homeless and street people.

Directions: About two blocks from the Riverwalk and three for the Alamo. Across from Travis Park in an older run down section. I would stay o the Riverwalk when we return.

raevnzno's Profile Photo

Old doesn't mean ugly

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 28, 2004

A beautiful old building. Just thinking about the history contained in these rooms gives me goosebumps. Peacock Alley is almost church like, people drop their voices and slow their footsteps. The service has always been excellent, and the rooms are quiet.

Unique Quality: Does the fact that this hotel is almost 100 years old carry any weight?? I love staying here..........

Nearby The St. Anthony Hotel San Antonio - A Wyndham Historic Hotel

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

San Antonio Travel Forum

Need advice about San Antonio, Texas? Visit the Travel Forum for San Antonio and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Antonio hotel reviews

Great Seafood
Good Buffet Restaurant
Kickers Korner Rodeo Arena
Things to Do
A friendly staff and unique food
Art on the river walk
Things to Do
Along the Riverwalk Restaurants...
Warnings and Dangers
September 2014 Visit
Excellent!
Things to Do
Great Views! Worth Seeing Once!
Great Visit!