The Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort

La Cantera Hill Country Resort
Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about The Westin La Cantera Resort, San Antonio

First-rate service and excellent facilities

by TripAdvisor Member ksquare

We recently stayed with 10 family members at the Westin La Cantera Resort. Every aspect of our stay was enjoyable. The staff of the front desk and concierge were very friendly and helpful. The waiters at Brannon's Cafe went out of their way for specific dietary requests.

Golf was fantastic. We played the Resort Course twice and found it a challenging but fair course with a great layout and fast, true greens. The fairways were a bit thin because heavy rains washed away the fall seeding. The result was brown fairways instead of the usual lush green fairways I expect at resort courses. However, this did not affect play at all.

The pools, hot tubs, tennis courts, and other facilities are terrific. The fitness facility was closed for remodeling during our stay, but it looks very large and well-equipped.

Finally, our rooms were great. We had several standard rooms, all with different views of the golf courses and/or pool areas. In addition, we had a suite that offered sweeping views of the resort.

Our family will return to the Westin La Cantera Resort. It is a great place that I heartily recommend.

Delightful Family and Business Resort (detailed review)

The La Cantera resort is wonderful - whether you travel with your family or on business. We used to live in San Antonio and book a few days at the resort for our 'near home' getaway. The kids (6&7) loved the pools, especially the waterslide, the close proximity to Fiesta Texas 6 Flags Amusement Park (hourly shuttles; discounted tickets - call direct and ask for special room rates that include tickets at the front desk), and the 'Kids Club' where they could do activities like arts & crafts, games, supervised swimming, etc. The Kids Club also gives the parents a break to go to the superb spa for a massage, play golf, tennis, or hang out at the pool without having to watch he kids every minute. The rooms are luxurious (ask for front desk manager Samira Bitar to get you the best fit for your need), roomy, and equipeed with anything you need for business or fun. If you travel for business, try the concierge floor for more privacy and VIP treatment. Also, you can always ask for room upgrades. If you ask nicely, they often accomodate you with little extra cost, if any, if rooms are available. The business center has any connectivity and supplies you could want. conference rooms are available or you could use the semi-private 'public' areas, such as the little lounges and rooms that exist everywhere. Broadband wireless Internet access is free in the lobby. The restaurants are good; they have excellent chefs and are always willing to accomodate any special requests in a friendly manner. Trust me on this - I ahve kids who know EXACTLY what they want and the chefs accomodated them everytime. The staff is professional and friendly, and if something happens that is different from what you expect, they make it up to you. We once got a room where the AC unit broke while we were in the room. Mechanical failures can happen. They gave us a suite, moved all our stuff, and when we got to the room, a fruit basket apology was delivered. Other facilities include a great public area inside - including a library where you can sit and read if you don't want to always be in your room, a great bar with a cigar lounge and shuffleboad game, and of course the kids pools (water slide, 'secret path', graduated beach-like entry in the toddler pool), golf courses, tennis, adult only pools & hot tubs, fitness center (big one - not the dingy and small hotel ones, but a full nautilus set-up), and much more. The only downside I can see for a tourist traveler is that it is not close to the Riverwalk. I personally would not want to stay downtown by the river and mall (too noisy, touristy, etc.), but if you are looking for walking access to the river, try the downtown Westin, the La Mansion del Rio, the Mariotts, or the Hyatt (excellent Jazz Club in the base of the Hyatt - whether you stay at the hotel or not). Being that this is Texas, almost everything is driving distance, so even if you did stay at the Riverwalk, you's still need a car. And parking downtown is much moe expensive and hard to find! Now that we moved to the Northwest, we only stay at the LaCantera resort when visiting San Antonio.

Good Resort

We recently returned from a trip to Texas - staying 4 nights at the La Cantera Resort. Overall, a good resort - great for kids as the pool area is wonderful with a beautiful view. Price was great $165 per night - AAA 21 Advance Day purchase - but they didn't check I.D. nor charge us ahead of time so anyone can get the rate.
Room was on the bottom floor - was musty smelling and damp - wallpaper was peeling under the sink in the bathroom. Other than that, the room was nice - comfortable beds and nice bathroom. The service was good and the grounds are beautiful. A bit remote if you like to be in the city - about 20 minutes (at least) from downtown S.A. but central to Hill Country and Six Flags. Excellent exercise room and lovely front lobby. I personally didn't find the self serve parking that onerous.

Select Room carefully

Overall this is a decent hotel with an excellent staff. It is not an especially good value at 189 on weekends though as Omni nearby is well under 100 on weekends and is a good value. With taxes and the 10.00 insulting resort fee(where did these resort fees come from anyway) the room was mid200's when all said and done. This last weekend I stayed here and was turned down asking for an upgrade with my Starwood card. No big deal, I was just asking, but then I went to my room which was 5204. This room, though with windows, had absolutely no view except for the pigeon droppings and empty cigarette package on the roof on the landing outside the window. Had to go to an event quickly so I did not ask for a change inasmuch as I was turned down prior. My suggestion is ask for a decent room as there clearly are duds. Best thing is the attentive well trained staff.

Nice enough but I wish I hadn't paid so much...

by TripAdvisor Member LLRS1

We paid an extra $60 a night for a club-level room. I had assumed that since the "traditional" rooms specifically stated that there was a "limited view" that the club-level rooms would have a nice view of the golf course, hillside, or city. Bad assumption. We were placed in a small corner room with a balcony overlooking a service driveway and loading dock. There was a large spotlight that illuminated the entire service area all night long. We had anticipated sitting on the balcony to enjoy a bottle of wine in the evening but were unable to do so because of the light, constant moving of hotel staff and golf carts, and unsightly view.

The room was ok - clean and large enough, but nothing special. Bathroom was fairly standard and clean.

Check-in was very slow. We waited almost 15 minutes even though there were only 2 parties in line ahead of us. One afternoon, we passed the front desk and there were three people waiting but no attendants in sight.

Breakfast on the club level consisted of cold cereal, several types of pastries, milk, juices, fresh fruit and coffee.

When we received the bill, there was an extra line item labeled "room revenue" for $18. When I called to ask what this was for, I was told that it was an error caused by their "new billing system". The charge was removed but it left a bad taste in my mouth - a feeling that maybe this is an attempt to tack on additional charges for unsuspecting guests. I was not pleased. Be aware that there is also a $10-per-day "resort charge" that is not included in the room rate.

Overall the hotel grounds are nice and the rooms are clean. I just felt that I paid much more than the room was worth. Unless I get a much better price next time, I will not stay here again.

we liked it!

by TripAdvisor Member sam629

Just stayed at La Cantera March 6-12. Paid $189 through AAA. Had a great room overlooking the pools with a huge balcony. The bed was "heavenly" and the dual shower head awesome! We've stayed at some 4-star hotels and this room was great! However, the $10 service fee is quite ridiculous--we got a newspaper 2 out of the mornings and the starbucks coffee for the room is horrible (Starbucks should be concerned). The fitness center is really nice but bring your own earphones for the tvs that are on each machine. We asked that the sheets be changed everyday and they were--found the place quite clean. Ryan, the consierge, was very resourceful and helpful---not pushy at all. Overall, we found the staff courteous and friendly. Thank goodness for the over-21 pool and whirlpool---lots of kids here. However, the over-21 pool is not heated at all yet the others seemed somewhat heated. The over-21 whirlpool was quite big and usually not very full--we enjoyed that. We also enjoyed turning our chaise lounges toward the golf course--beautiful view. We were quite pleased to see an attendant chase 4 13-year old boys out of the over-21 area---hurrah! There was pool-side bar service but the prices were a bit high for the San Antonio area ($3 for a bottle of water that was .79 at the local Citgo and $6 for a gin and tonic--where was the gin anyway?). We did not eat in the resort as San Antonio as such wonderful options---Silo, La Marguerita's, Liberty Bar, Jim Callum's Landing among others. Oh, and we took in a Spurs game at the SBC center--- a great place.

Best Place on Earth

by TripAdvisor Member beachluvahTexas

I have stayed at LaCantera and everytime I am there I love it! The resort is wonderful. The fact that they have an adult pool is great b/c you cannot hear the kids in the other larger pool up the hill. Golf course is great. Rooms are comfty- I would not stay anywhere else in San Antonio.
Spa services are a bit pricey but worth it if you want to spend the money. Stress just melts away at this place.

Big Disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member duckstab

Based on the many favorable reviews I found here, I booked a deluxe room here for our anniversary weekend. We suffered a number of minor annoyances and while it's not a really bad place to stay I didn't find the level of service and accomodations justified the luxury price tag. The room was a bit small, the bathtub cramped, and much of the view was blocked. We had enormous difficulty getting into our room in the first place as the first three sets of keys they gave us did not work. Finally they sent someone up to let us in but by this time we'd been running back and forth to the front desk for a good 15-20 minutes, and it was another 10 minutes or so before someone arrived with a working set of keys. The in-room movies died after about half an hour and despite an immediate call to the front desk the charge still appeared on our bill and had to be taken off the next morning. We attempted to watch TV but every few minutes there was some kind of electical interference that ruined the reception. When our bill arrived, there was a charge of $1008.00 for "valet parking". Of course they resolved this, but overall this was hardly the first-class hotel experience I'd been given to expect.

Nice facilities, absent minded staff

We stayed at the Westin on Easter weekend. This was my first experience with this resort, and I have to say that just about all of the reviews I read on this site were on point.

First, check in was a disaster. It took much too long to check in, and the room was not available until 4:30 p.m. (check in was at 3:00 p.m.) I got the feeling that the front desk personnel will say anything to please you (without any intention of fulfilling their promises). My room wasn't ready so front desk ensured me that my luggage would be stored behind the desk. They also assured me they would call me when the room was ready, but an hour later (and no phone call) I went back, and my bags were still loaded on the dolly in the front drive with no one attending them.

We ate an early dinner at the resort while waiting for our room. The restaurant was pretty empty, and the service reflected it. Drinks had to be ordered twice, and the food was at best mediocre. Considering the prices, we had hoped for better.

We finally checked in, and the rooms were nice, the bedding was softer than I like, but it was clean and very comfortable. I really have no complaints about the room, as it was the best feature of the resort. The pools were pretty but not the most functional. The kids pools are narrow, and really too small for a resort this size. (The Hyatt Hill Country's pools are much better.) The pool attendants were very good, but when we ordered a simple cookie, the attendant came back 20 minutes later to tell us that they were out of cookies?!? It's the little things that make these resorts memorable, and this was something I will remember, in the negative.

The self parking is a joke. I didn't mind the trek up the hill after parking my car, but the location, distance and the hills sure seem like the resort has a racket going for the valet parking.

All in all, the Westin has some improving to do. Compared to other resorts, I would say the Westin was sub par. It has nice facilities, but there seemed to be something lacking with the service you would expect from a high price resort. They need to focus on the little things that make the stay enjoyable, and make sure that their staff is better trained. I'm not sure I would stay here again mostly because of the service.

Comments