4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 48% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• tpappas's Profile Photo

Elegant and Top Service

The room, although looked out to neighboring rooftops (such is the riverwalk setup) was very well appointed, comfortable and clean. the batrooms were large with whirlpool tub and all tile walk-in shower. Staff was over the top friendly. International flair with a domestic familiarity.

Unique Quality: Rooftop pool and jacuzzi were nice.

Directions: Riverwalk

More about Watermark Hotel And Spa

Luxurious Watermark Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bbnbama

I visited San Antonio, Texas in late August (first visit) and we stayed at the Watermark Hotel & Spa located right on the Riverwalk. If you want to stay somewhere that is luxurious and pampering-this is the place for you. From the moment we walked in the room, it was relaxing. The large bed was fluffy and full of comfy pillows. The bathroom screamed relaxation as it had a large sunken jacuzzi tub that could accomodate 2 adults. When we would come back to our rooms at the end of the evening, they would have filled our silver ice bucket with fresh ice, pulled the sheets back on the bed, dimmed the lights and turned on soft relaxing music on the CD player. The staff was always helpful and efficient. The pool and hot tub was located on the roof of the building and they had a workout room that would make any exercise fanatic cry with pleasure!!!
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would recommend it to others.

Watermark Hotel - 1900's

by Yaqui

Built 1900’s, as the L. Frank Saddlery Building that was four story and 70,000 square foot building is where they made custom saddles the largest saddlery west of the Mississippi, and by 1918 was one of the largest saddleries in the country. They made custom saddles for Theodore Roosevelt and his Rough Riders and for John Wayne. It was once served as a furniture store until the World Fair in the 1960s needed to accommodate the many anticipated visitors. It was converted into a four star hotel called La Mansion in 1968. In 2003, it went through extensive remodeling and is now called the Watermark Hotel & Spa and still offers luxury and premium services.

212 West Crockett Street
San Antonio, TX 78205

Watermark appeared understaffed

My business partner and our spouses enjoy doing a "luxury weekend getaway" to San Antonio each year. It's a great town and the Riverwalk is a super place to eat, drink, and relax. This year, we selected the Watermark (San Antonio's only "5-star" hotel). Make no mistake, it's a beautiful facility. I'm sure the Spa is great, too, but we had no time or interest in it. Our first surprise was that, upon arrival on Saturday evening at 5:30pm, our rooms weren't ready! By 6pm one room was ready which my wife and I took because we had 2 of our grandkids with us. It was 7pm before my partner's room was available! To their credit, the management comped meals for all of us that evening at their Pesca Restaurant which was an excellent experience (fabulous food and attentive service). My partner booked the rooms without any consideration to the location within the property. Our rooms had a view of the side of an old building across an alley. I would have paid a premium price to have had a room on the river side...all of which have exterior balconies with patio seating. We experienced late-in-the-day housekeeping, slow valet service, etc. which lead me to believe that the facility is simply understaffed. Without question, however, all of the staff we dealt with were genuinely friendly and courteous. We're not complainers generally and can't say that our trip was severely damaged...we're just disappointed overall, especially at the price. Next year, we'll probably return to the Hyatt Regency which has never disappointed us.

Can't Wait to Go Back!

by TripAdvisor Member Kellismom

We just got back after a 2 day stay at the Watermark and can't wait to go back! I'm originally from SF and am used to quality hotels and spas. First the pluses: 1. The spa was great, 2. Pesca Restaurant was very good 3. Location was excellent.

Contrary to the previous posting (June 23) we stayed on the third floor and slept quite soundly...no obvious street noise...and I am a light sleeper. I specifically requested a quieter room vs. having a room with a view.
Very minor minuses: 1. Standard rooms ARE small, 2. Staff seemed strained by the holiday weekend and 3. Restaurant service at Pesca was great one day, mediocre the next. However, that said, I felt they did everything they could to accommodate us. I went to celebrate my b/d and when I arrived, there was a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries! One night, they didn't clean our room, but as soon as we called, a maid was literally at our door when we hung up the phone. As I said, it was a sold-out weekend and I think they managed very well.

Two tips: valet parking is $25/day. We parked at a garage on College (about a block and a half away at $6/day), as once we got there, we walked every where and never used the car. We also had a light breakfast at Starbucks nearby. The one breakfast we had was good but come on...$6 for a bowl of granola and $4 for a pot of tea? Also, the treatment room I had was facing the street and despite the lovely music and soothing manner of the massage therapist, I could hear street traffic (though it was muffled). Overall, despite being a crowded and busy 4th of July, we had a very nice stay and will go back to celebrate our anniversary!

Great Room ... Great Service

My wife and I booked a room at the La Mansion Del Rio for our anniversary for 3 nights in July. Upon our arrival we were offered an upgrade for no charge to stay at their sister hotel across the street... THe Watermark. Before making our decision we checked out both rooms. WOW .. what a difference. While the Mansion room was adequate ... the room at the Watermark was great. A very nice room ... large ... with a fantastic bathroom and shower area. The service for us was awsome!. The room was made up each day and turndown service offered each night. Robes and slippers too!. I am not sure why some others had some negative things to say ... maybe we were lucky! My only caomplaint was that they charge for high speed internet service. A hotel this nice doesn't need to do that! It has a great location on the Riverwalk and the resturants at both sites were excellent. It also had a complete spa which we did not use. Overall, a great experience. One suggestion ... unless you like kids and crowds avoid weekends in the summer. The next time we will go in the spring or fall during the week.

Very Pleased with The Watermark

I have just returned from 5 days in San Antonio. I visited the city to watch my son participate in the Maccabi games held there. My stay at the Watermark was great. I am very particular about cleanliness and decor, and appreciate good customer service. The hotel is lovely and comfortable. Our room was nicely appointed and the bathroom was very large. The ambience is calm. The spa was pretty but I did not have time for any treatments. The gym had plenty of equiptment and the pool on the roof was small but ok. The location is perfect, right on the River Walk. The restaurant in the hotel very good but you are also close to other restaurants (Budro's is good). It is very convenient to highways and close enough to The Alamo. Valet parking was $25 per day which seems expensive for San Antonio. We had friends who stayed in other hotels but I liked the small boutique hotel feel of the Watermark better. It is not lavish and over the top but instead sophisticated, high quality and stylish. I would be happy to stay there again.

Perfect spa experience!

by TripAdvisor Member Janeite

I had the pleasure of two spa treatments at the Watermark while staying at a nearby hotel. What a rare treat! The massage and facial were excellent, but the facilities and ambience even better. By arriving nearly 2 hours early, I had free run of the whirlpool, which is in a beautiful room with a lovely view; the sauna; and the steam room. The delightful showers were stocked with good toiletries; overall there was a sense of serenity and understated glamour. If you go, make time to relax in the Relaxation Lounge, where you can recline on a chaise longue while sipping ice water or munching an apple. Not cheap, but well worth the expense.

I also enjoyed two very different and very nice lunches at the Watermark. Up on the top floor, there is a cafe serving a few very good salads and sandwiches in a relaxed, elegant setting. If it's good weather, you can sit outside and enjoy the view. On the Riverwalk level is the Pesca restaurant, where service is prompt and gracious. Try the lobster club sandwich.

When I win the lottery, I'm moving to this hotel!

Loved the Watermark!

We just returned from five days at the Watermark. It was a magnificent hotel and the service was impeccable! The rooftop pool was gorgeous! Highly recommend swimming in the evening as the views are breathtaking! The rooms are large, clean and very tastefully decorated. The colors are warm and inviting. The bathrooms are also very large. We especially liked the separate shower, tub (jacuzzi) and toilet area. After a long day of shopping and sightseeing we could hardly wait to get back to the peace and tranquility of the hotel. Overall, it is probably the best hotel we have stayed in while on vacation and I am picky. We will definitely stay at the Watermark again while in the beautiful city of San Antonio.

Anniversary Retreat

My wife and I celebrated our 15th Anniversary at the Watermark. The location on the Riverwalk was outstanding with no shortage of things to do. We loved the contemporary look of the rooms and the service was outstanding. They have a spa on-site and we both received Swedish massages that were great. This is a definite must for couples looking to get away.

Son's graduation Lackland Air Force Base

by Donp777

Will be visiting Lackland AFB in April, anyone know of any decent bars/restaurants in that area are there any English Pubs there

by hoofhearted

Firstly, congratulations to your son! We honor all graduates from LAFB. Next...the pubs! Downtown on the Riverwalk are a few great choices;
Mad Dogs (at the Hyatt Regency, Riverwalk level)
Waxy O'Connors (near the Watermark Hotel, Riverwalk level)
Durty Nelly's (at the Hilton Hotel, Riverwalk level)

The last two may be more Irish than English, but you can find a good pint at any of 'em.

by nomorewars

English Pubs:
1. Lion & Rose Pub (considered most authentic English Pub in San Antonio): 5148 Broadway (numerous locations in the city)
2. Fox & Hound: 12651 Vance Jackson Rd.
3. Mad Dogs: 410 Ne Loop 410, #1039

by Donp777

Thanks for the information, we are looking forward to our visit

Comments