Americas Best Value Inn

3813 Padre Blvd, , Texas, 78597-7009, United States

More about South Padre Island

This Sculpture Depicts the Making of WineThis Sculpture Depicts the Making of Wine

I didn't get to go on this one, but I bet it's funI didn't get to go on this one, but I bet it's fun

the wind makes nice formationsthe wind makes nice formations

BaysideBayside

Going to Padre for a romantic week with hubby?? Need help

by mgarcia2002

First I want to know if it will be warm enough for us to swim? We miss the beaches, so for sure want to do that. Where is the best beach? Where is the best area to go for site seeing and to do cool things? Bascially open for anything fun and not tooo expensive. We are parents of 3 girls and just want to get away and have alone time and relax from our crazy busy lives. Thanks.

also maybe name some good hotels that are nice but cheap.

Re: Going to Padre for a romantic week with hubby?? Need help

by TexasDave

You didn't mention when you're planning on going, so the first question is hard to answer.
There are basically 3 types of beaches:

Bay side- calm waters, no surf.

Gulf side in town- where there are is a continual line of mostly high-rise condo buildings.

Gulf side out of town- totally unimproved, natural beach (which is north of SPI proper).

SPI is not very large so you can cover most of the sights in a short period of time. Several of us have put up tips on restaurants, things to do, etc, on our SPI pages, so check them out.

Travel Tips for South Padre Island

The beach

by arteimagen

This is the beach from south end, as you see, Tropical storm Erika was very close (300 km) to strike Isla del Padre past august 15th, you can enjoy all facilities to stay here and to hace a nice stay. Do you hate sand in your body, go to the hotel pool and sleep early, drink some beers and walk or go shopping.

If you like wind powered sports....

by kytsrfr

If you like windsurfing or kiteboarding then South Padre Island should be on your list. South Padre warms up earlier in the spring and stays warm later in the fall than 95% of the U.S. April-June and Oct-Dec are the most popular months. And luck would have it that these months also offer offseason lodging rates so the adventure won't break the bank. Many who are able work remotely and chase the wind come in Oct and don't leave until May as it is good all winter. As kiteboarding is wind powered it is a great eco-tourism option for adventure enthusiasts. If you are taking kiteboarding Lessons the gear is included with the lessons price. Otherwise bring as many kites as you can. With the high cost of luggage on the airlines renting a kiteboard is a nice option. You can trade in the board to match the wind speed of the day so you always have the right size board. Board rental for a day is $35 or $99 for the week.

Casual Bay Front Dining

by Stephen-KarenConn about Amberjacks Lunch and Dinner

The excellent bayside location of this tropical-theme bar and grill, along with the slick brochure, ,made us eager to try Amberjack's for dinner. We had a good table with a great view of the sunset over the Laguna Madre. However, the service was not as attentive as we would have liked. I had the fried seafood platter, and Karen a shrimp with pasta dish. Both of us thought our meals to be mediocre, especially for the price we paid. It was not that the food was exactly poor, it was just not exceptional, in a setting that deserved much better.

excellent food, poor service

by ctietbohl about Marcello's Italian Restaurant

Our first clue that the service was not going to be good was when the maitre d' seated us and said that he would bring us menus but didn't. Our waiter brought us water and asked us if we wanted to see the wine list. We said no, so he asked us if we were ready to order. It was then that he noticed we had no menus. After he brought us the menus and we ordered Steak and Shrimp for my wife and Fried Shrimp for myself, he asked what we wanted to drink and my wife said the water was fine and I ordered iced tea. After eating our salads, which were very good, I again asked for Iced tea, which was eventually brought. My wife's steak was cooked correctly, medium well, and her shrimp were excellent, but the veggies were cooked al dente. That's French for raw but warm. My fried shrimp were a little tough, but tasted great. My spaghetti with marinara sauce was very good and the bread was very good, also. My wife never got a refill on her water, so she had to drink mine. The total for the meal was $30.20.

Swimming...bathing in the sun!

by Minka007

"Unforgettable ride to SP"

"South Padre Island is a town in Cameron County, Texas, United States. As of the 2000 census, the town had an official population of 2,422, although this probably underestimates its size since many people split their time between vacation properties on South Padre and "permanent" residences elsewhere in the Rio Grande Valley. The town is located on Padre Island, a large barrier island along the Texas Gulf coast."
Wiki about South Padre