6200 Padre Blvd., South Padre Island, Texas, 78597, United States
Expedia.com Travelodge.com Booking.com

More about Travelodge South Padre Island

Do not recommend this hotel

The advertisement on the internet is very misleading as far as the distance from the hotel to the beach. The private access is located on the far back of the hotel with only one entrance, poor lighting, and not safe. The room was hot when we arrived. They had not bothered to turn on the air condition so we had to leave to let the room cool. The room was still hot and stuffy when we came back due to having an old ac system. The breakfast area was very small and did not have enough chairs and tables for the number of guests. The computer in the lobby was down the whole time we were there. The three times we went to the swimming pool there were people in the hot tub with liquor and alot of horesplaying in the pool, despite the sign posted stating "no liquor allowed in the hot tub." We stayed in the hotel 3 nights and two of those nights we had a hard time finding parking in the parking lot due to non-guests parking in the hotel. The hotel does not having any towing signs posted for non-guests. I definitely do no recommend this hotel for families The price was reasonable but the quality was poor.

Fabulous

Loved it! We had a fabulous room. Very clean. Looked very new. The staff was friendly and helpful. They offered internet access in the lobby. The breakfast was good. The walk from the hotel to the beach was very reasonable. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Better than expected

July 2005 was our second trip to South Padre Island. On our first visit in August 2004, we stayed at the Best Western which was overpriced and way below expectations. On our second trip we stayed at the Travelodge. We checked in and were given our room keys. Check in was fast and easy. The room was on the far end of the complex and was the closest room to the beach access door. When we opened the door to the room, the beds were unmade and there was trash and towels all over the room and bathroom. The A/c was off so the room was hot. The housekeeping staff were on their way to our room as we were on our way to complain. We decided to keep the room because it was so close to the beach access door so we waited on the beach while they prepared our room. The room had 2 small queen beds and a small kitchen table with 4 chairs. It had a minifridge, a microwave and a coffee pot. There was a front door and a back door to access the room. We were there 2 nights and every morning we had the free continental breakfast that included hot, made-on-the-spot, Texas-shaped waffles. Once the initial problem was resolved, we definitely enjoyed the rest of the ammenities such as the pool and the hot tub. We will definitely stay here again and will request the same room.

Disappointing

We stayed at the Travelodge for 5 days in Feb. 2006. The nightly rate of $49.00 was great for two people. However the desk clerks were neither friendly, knowledgeable, nor helpful. When I enquired about a luggage cart I was informed there weren't any, but I spotted one through an open door of a storage room later in the week. I wasn't aware at time of booking that there wasn't an elevator, so we had to tote very heavy luggage to the second floor ourselves. I thought the desk clerk could have offered a staff person to assist us as a matter of courteous service to elderly female patrons. The continental breakfast area is quite small and doesn't adequately accommodate the breakfast and happy hour crowd. The breakfast hostesses were not friendly. The maids couldn't speak english and we had difficulty conveying our needs to them. I was disappointed with the private beach access. It was long and narrow, barely allowing enough room for people to pass by one another enroute to/from the lodge/beach. There wasn't nearly enough patio furniture to accomodate people who wanted to enjoy the sun on two upper level deck areas. If you didn't get there early in the morning to stake out a chair/chaise lounge, then they were routinely occupied by the same people all day/evening.

Comfortable but not a resort hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DiamonDave

It's not a resort but is a pretty good beach motel. We looked at a couple of the more expensive hotels and they do have lovely pool areas with beach views. However based on reviews I read the rooms are probably no nicer than the Travelodge.

ROOM: The first room we were assigned had an overpowering smell which we could not figure out until we opened up the fridge. It smelled like rotten fish. We called the front desk and a housekeeper quickly came with another room key. She was spraying the fishy room with air fresherner -- that made us laugh when it was the fridge that needed to be condemned. Our new room was better. The fridge took a while to cool down but it was a nice thing to have. It was large enough to handle several cases of soda/beer. Since the room was wheelchair accessible the bathroom was larger than normal. The toilet started acting up and required a double flush. We enjoyed the large TV with all our favorite channels. Our AC unit cooled great unlike some other reviews I read.

The waffles indeed are delicious and they have someone there to make them for you which is even better. There was no fresh fruit and the cereals were "no-name" brands. The pastries were pretty lame.

We found the front desk to be pretty helpful. We had to get some extra towels late one night and it was no problem. One clerk let my girlfriend into the locked breakfast room to pick up some brochures. They were not too knowledgeable about local attractions so do your research

The walk to the beach was not very far -- less than a 5 minute walk. The path is very narrow and it is difficult for two people to pass each other. We found the beach on this part of the island to be not crowded at all. Granted it was a week or two after schools opened in Texas.

Overall I think this motel is a good value given the fact that it does have beach access. There was a La Quinhta very nearby that looked nice as well as a Holiday Inn Express. I paid $89 plus tax in late August. It was just a 3 night stay. If I were to stay longer I would look into some of the condos on the island.

Best Travelodge Anywhere

by TripAdvisor Member beachwoman29

This is the best Travelodge that I have ever seen. The rooms were large and everything was clean and the staff and management was very friendly. Breakfast was more than doughnuts and juice. It is just a short walk to the beach which is better than the competition we checked. Would recommend to friend and family.

Best kept secret...

by TripAdvisor Member GarrettMarc

We wanted to get away from the gloomy weather. We NEEDED a beach and some sunshine so we decided to pack up the kids and check out South Padre. Let me say... The hotel room was fresh, clean and the staff was more than accommodating. We had a wonderful time without breaking the bank. If you are looking for a great inexpensive get away this is the place to go.

Ugly

by TripAdvisor Member Littlepinetree

Padre Island sucks! We left Thursday morning, stayed one night, drove home Friday. We were going to spend four days there.We hated the dirty water and thick muddy sand. All the way down the beach there are tire tracks, and tractors pile up the sand on the side of the beach. The same way snow plows pile snow by the curb. Putting down a beach towel to sun bath on tire tracks is not very appealing. Why people like Padre Island, I'll never know. It's so ugly! It's very built up with hotels and condos and very corny stores. The Travelodge we stayed in was horrible. EVERYTHING went wrong! The bed was hard and bumpy, and there was this beeping sound all night. The people at the front desk could care less about any problems with the hotel. Much more happened. I'm putting it in a nut shell.
So be warned if you are thinking of Padre Island. This ugly island is expensive, and would be better to spend your money on other beaches. But if you still go to Padre Island, Don't stay at the Travelodge. It will make your trip even worse.
By the way, I wrote a review much like this one for the Travel Channel. Word of warning needs to get out!

This is the Place

by TripAdvisor Member mel2521

I grew up in the valley and have been going to SPI for years and must say that all things considered the Travelodge is the best value if you insist on a clean room and friendly staff. The previous post complained about the noise but that was during spring break and no place is quite. SPI is rowdy for ten days in March during spring break but the rest of the year is family oriented except for the third weekend in october which is bikefest (motorcylces) which the people are nice but the bikes make alot of noise. This property has private beach access and a shower rinse off station but is not located directly on the beach. It has better beach access than most other properties except for the Raddison and Sheraton which are alot more expensive.

family vacation 5 days

by TripAdvisor Member TexasBuckShot

Travelodge at South Padre Island was great. Beach/Ocean was walking distance ( private walkway ), not far 5 minuetes and had outside shower to clean beach wear and tubes. Rooms were standard, cleanliness was average, staff friendly. swimming pool needs a cleaning, but guests would go from beach to pool ( hard to keep clean), whirlpool was good too. Breakfast was exceptionally awsome, free wallfels homemade were #1. We stayed 5 days and everything on the Island was a short drive. 5 Minuetes to Schlitterbahn. We went snorkeling, bay fishing, and the local businesses really do a awsome job of getting you your moneys worth of entertainment. Spanish and Seafood excellent. My Family will return to Travelodge and the Island again.

The beachThe beach

One of the Live Events-Right on S Padre Blvd.One of the Live Events-Right on S Padre Blvd.

sandy toessandy toes

fireworks over the bay!fireworks over the bay!

Where else to go?

by sunnismile

My friends and I are 18 and dont know what to do on the island. What other clubs can you get into if you're 18?

RE: Where else to go?

by ridermirv

You need to go across the border if you want to party and your under 21. There's a little town between Matamoros and Reynosa called Nuevo Progreso thats fun and safe with plenty of bars and clubs. It's just south of Mercedes, Texas.

Feliz viajes,

Marc

Re: Where else to go?

by jc1499

Hello!

I have one basic question does this Padre Island has anytime type of gay clubs? Located in the main street called Padre St.

Can you please let me know ?

Comments