236 Loring, Stonewall, Texas, 78671, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Stonewall

And to the Texas White HouseAnd to the Texas White House

Ride past the ranchRide past the ranch

Bike around the beautiful sceneryBike around the beautiful scenery

Then visit the living farmThen visit the living farm

Travel Tips for Stonewall

President Lydon B. Johnson

by msbrandysue

Other than filling in as President after JFK's death, I didn't know much about LBJ before visiting his National Historical Park. Now I could write a book...just kidding! I do have some good stories to tell, though, for sure.

So, I couldn't put this tip under Things To Do but wanted to add the pictures from the park about all the programs that LBJ started.

He was who signed in our first environmental laws such as the Clean Air and Drinking Water laws. He also signed many of the Welfare programs. His Great Society programs also included many national programs for education as well. The programs that the plaques talk about specifically are:

*Head Start-a preschool program for children who are not old enough for elementary school (5 years of age) but whose parents cannot afford day care.
*Clean Air Act
*Water Pollution
*Elementary and Secondary Education Act

LBJ Park: Bus Tours vs Audio CDs

by msbrandysue

Just an FYI for those who love to plan trips and know all the details...

On the website that talks about touring the LBJ Historical Park it talks about taking the ranger bus tours. They were not given the weekend my aunt and I went. They now give you an audio cd for your own car. The ranger at the visitors center they were getting away from the bus tours (economic reasons). I think it's better because you can go at your own pace. You don't have to wait for others to finish up or you can stay longer and dig into the history and surroundings. I know my aunt and I stayed quite a while at the ranch talking to the ranchhand. But many families decided to skip it altogether.

Biking the LBJ National Historical Park

by msbrandysue

For only $1 you can tour the entire National Historical Park of LBJ's ranch. When I went we drove but there was a big family who biked the entire way. Just be careful in the summer...it can be very hot!

*You do have to put a certain sticker on the bike that you get from the ranger at the visitors center...so make sure to stop by the center first. Bring your own bike and equipment for it because nothing is provided.

LBJ Land

"Why Did I Come?"

I passed through Stonewall on my way to Fredericksburg with my aunt on Easter Break 2009. We saw the big sign for the Lydon B Johnson National Historical Park and decided to visit. Boy, did I not know how long of a trip it would be!

"My Favorite Part"

Ok, it sounds cheesy but I loved seeing the Hereford cows. They were HUGE and so cute! This was on the working ranch of the LBJ Historical Park.

"Surprise Attraction"

While learning all about the 36th President of the United States I had no clue all the help and programs he put into the education system. Some I totally agree with...others we could do without. :p

Stonewall, Texas

by basstbn

"Peaches and Wine in the Hill Country"

Not to mention the LBJ Ranch... Nancy and I did not take time to visit the LBJ Ranch, but we did enjoy driving through the peach orchards in bloom, and stopping to taste the wines at one of the local vintners. Also included in our side trip was a visit to the Grape Creek Country Market and Bar-b-que.

Comments