The Old Citizens National Bank
The Citizens National Bank was established in 1868 by James Robertson (J.R.) Couts and John A. Fain.
J.R. Couts was originally from Tennessee, but had moved to Texas with his family in 1858. After serving with a Texas Frontier Guard Unit, he was part of a long cattle drive to California. He returned to Weatherford with a pile of gold ($50,000) and partnered with Fain in this new enterprise.
Fain left the business in 1871 and several individuals partnered with Couts, the name changing accordingly.
Citizens National Bank eventually merged with Parker County National Bank in 1927 and has continued as a secure depository for the citizens of Weatherford ever since. This two story stone building was erected in 1885.