The Bluebird festival is held in April. Driving tours provide access to hundreds of nesting boxes lining the There are driving tours which will take you around roads where there are hundreds of nesting boxes. Wills Point has more Bluebirds than anywhere else in Texas.
Terrell lies in the north east section of Texas, about 30 miles east of Dallas and 20 miles west of Wills Point. Terrell is a banking and marketing centre for this agricultural area which features cotton, beef cattle and dairying as well as 33 local industries - garments, steel, aluminium, plastic and wood fabrication.
Attractions include the Carnegie Library Building was completed in 1904 and sits on the site owned by a local publisher who later became the Governor of Texas. R.A. Terrell House (c.1860-65) which is on the campus of Southwestern Christian College was one of the city's first homes. The home belonged to the founder of the city, Robert A. Terrell and is one of only 20 surviving round houses in the U. S. It is both a state and national historic landmark. There are many historic buildings as well as lots of recreational activities in Terrell.
Lake Tawakoni is located in Van Zandt, Rains, and Hunt counties on the Sabine River. The lake is impounded by Iron Bridge Dam which is an earthfill dam with a concrete spillway. The lake has a surface area of 36,700 acres. Not one of Texas best fishing lakes however you can catch Bass, Largemouth & Smallmouth there. About 10 miles north from Wills Point.
Keeweechic's Wills Point
""The Bluebird Capital of Texas""
Wills Point, originally thought to have been called Iola, was named after William Wills, a tax assessor who settled in the area in 1846 when it was found that there was another town in Texas called Lola. The town is in Van Zandt County, northwest of Canton on Hwy 80. Wills' log cabin that he built a double log cabin which is now considered to be the oldest house in the territory. He then began purchasing land from the state on the Dallas-Shreveport Road and built corrals. He also kept supplies and furnished his log cabin to provide a stop off for travellers. Thomas J McKain arrived in 1873 and became the towns first mayor, express and freight agent as well as worked at the first store. In 1877 the residents tried to move the county seat from Canton to Wills Point but failed to obtain the necessary majority although most were in favour. This caused all kinds of problems, resulting in violence, and the state militia had to step in.
Wills Point became the first Van Zandt community to incorporate in 1884. Williams Wills donated land to the town to establish the White Rose Cemetery which resulted in 5 white churches and 2 black churches being built. This was followed by 3 schools, cotton gins, oil mill, hotels and an opera house also being built. The local economy came from cotton, hides, grain, hay, livestock, vegetables and fruit which was all transported by rail. During the middle of the 20th century, the town was also known for its wild roses, elms and pecan trees.
Wills Point is also known as the "Gateway to Tawakoni" because of the close proximity of the lakes recreation area.
Wills Point was just a passing through little town, small and rural and still retaining some of its past charm.
Photos which are taken by myself and all headings are copyright and digitally marked. Please do not use them without permission. Thanks.(c) keeweechic 2001-2008