199 North Main Street, Highway 12, Tropic, Utah, 84776, United States

Satisfaction Average

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• DMcD's Profile Photo

Terrific & authentic best place to stay in Bryce

We opted to stay in one of the adjacent log cabins that are part of the Bryce Canyon Lodge complex. The cabin was neat and well maintained. Terrific high mountain cabin atmosphere yet only steps from the main lodge building and the canyon edge. This lodge / hotel is by far, the closest accomodation and is completely within the park grounds (unlike Ruby's and Best Western). Complete guest aid services (including horseback ride bookings) are in the lodge. A word of warning & the only draw-back I saw in this park is that the only food market in the park only has a very limited variety of goods -- you may wish to bring your special preferences with you. However you can get most everything else you need just outside the park at Ruby's market. Besides the cabins at the B.C. Lodge, you can book hotel rooms or the adjoining 2 story "motel type" accomodation of which I have heard is also well liked by other travelers. Check the nps.gov website for further details.

Unique Quality: Terrific and very well maintained original lodge building w/ a great restaurant within. Variety of accomodation types. Only steps from the canyon edge.

More about Bryce Canyon

Old Bryce CityOld Bryce City

A RAVEN ATTACKING MY CAR!A RAVEN ATTACKING MY CAR!

Scott at Bryce with dusk closing in on us.Scott at Bryce with dusk closing in on us.

Check out the feathers on the raven to the left!Check out the feathers on the raven to the left!

Distance to Bryce Canyon

by ritaking

Could anyone tel me how far it is from south rim Grand Canyon to Bryce Canyon?
Could this be done via Monument Valley, If so how long would it take?

by travelgourmet

I would stay overnight near Natural Bridges National Monument, drive of over 4 hours from the south rim of the Grand Canyon, and then go on to Bryce Canyon the next day or two. Why drive such a long time to zip past all the natural and historical sites of Monujment Valley to get to Bryce. From Natural Bridges NP to Bryce Canyon is close to a 5 hour drive. The straight distance from the south rim of the Grand Canyon to Bryce Canyon is about the same at 5 hours and about 290 miles and you go through the scenic area of Marble Canyon. Why spend most of the day driving to get to Bryce, when a stop over lets you enjoy other areas.

by Segolily

My question is why do you need to get back to Grand Canyon? It isn't like that is a major entrance point, but more likely you'd be going to Phoenix or Las Vegas? That would change the drive.

Of course it is possible, but how much time do you have? It certainly cannot be done in one or even two days.

by Segolily

Sorry for the confusion,,, OP has another post in the Monument Valley forum asking about a round trip. I was responding to that.

by Segolily

And about the driving. A 10 hour drive from Grand Canyon south rim (with time to stop at the viewpoints along the east rim) via Monument Valley with time to stop and look at it is too long in my book for a one day drive, and would be much better accomplished in three or four (because I'd want to stop in Page as well.)

We weren't given a time frame. That would be nice to know.

by travelgourmet

Ron, that's a good tip for the Cameron Trading Post near the Grand Canyon. The restaurant has great Navajo Fry Bread. A good motel in the Monument area is the Four Corners in Blanding. See their website: http://www.fourcornersinn.com/

Travel Tips for Bryce Canyon

Mad Raven!!

by mikehanneman

"Raven Issues"

Scott (my son) and I had a long day. Kolob section of Zion, top of a mesa etc.

After going to Cedar Breaks, it was on the verge of dusk. I wanted to go to Bryce anyway. We were in agreement to go for it. I drove as fast as I could legally making my way to Bryce. I am glad we made the effort t go there. Other wise we would be in the hotel.

Here is the weird part of our visit!!! We drove past Inspiration Point to the next pull off - when we got out of our car, I noticed 2 ravens. Scott and I went to look at the view, we looked back and the raven was pecking at the red light in the rental car's dashboard. We yelled at the bird and it pecked and scratched the car. It's feathers were standing on end, like a wild animal that was mad.

"Raven attacking the car!"

I guess he didn't like what he saw with the red light. Food, a worm, I don't know what it was thinking.

Here is another picture of the raven when it flew to the fence. Look at his feathers. Please click onto this picture - then you will be able to see his feathers!!

"Bryce Overall"

I like Bryce. Again, I feel a person has to get "below" the rim area to really experience a park. Take a stroll in the Hoodoos. The coolest thing is close to dusk.....the brilliant colors come to life!!

Also I enjoy the fantastic view to the east. You have a lot of elevation at Bryce - if you do hike, take your time. It is a bit harder to catch your breath.

I don't think I would care to spend more than a day at Bryce. It is somewhat limited. But don't minimize the power of Bryce's colors in the right light!

Comments