Sun-n-Sands Motel

347 South 100E, Kanab, Utah, 84741, United States

More about Kanab

The MineralsThe Minerals

Rough roads are commonRough roads are common

Everyday necessitiesEveryday necessities

Adobe home used in the Indian attackAdobe home used in the Indian attack

Travel Tips for Kanab

a lonely heart

by richiecdisc

My first exposure to this colorful canyon country was in the fall of 1994 at the tail end of a similar extended camping trip around the US that I now found myself on with my wife. It was November and winter had come early to the red rock I'd planned to hike in. But its majestic beauty was only enhanced by a dusting of snow that had me already planning a return the following year. In a country as big as the United States, sometimes you just run out of time.

The next year I returned on a trip tailored to see this area more extensively and planned purposely to arrive well before the snow. As pretty as it had been it had thwarted my hiking amongst the red rock indelibly etched in my mind in the interim. It was with great purpose that I visited parks I'd missed as well as returning to ones I'd only been able to skirt through. The hiking was fantastic, everything I had hoped for. Camping in the dry sunny Utah parks about as perfect as can be. But something was missing and that was someone to share it with. My first trip had been with a long term girlfriend and we had parted ways soon after. As satisfying as it was in my mind, my heart was lonely. I returned home with a lot of pretty pictures but no one in them and memories similarly empty faded quickly. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

Caves In Kanab Canyon

by briantravelman

About 6 miles north of the city lies Kanab Canyon. The canyon contains several sand stone caves nestled in the cliff side. The caves are located just down the road from Moqui Caves.
To find them just take Highway 89, and you can't miss them. These caves are as wild as wild gets. There are no trails, or anything. To get to them you have to park your car on the side of the road and walk to them. The nicest caves are nestled on top of a large sandstone cliff and a bit of climbing is required. When you do decided to clmib up to the caves, be really careful as the sandstone is slick and crumbly and it's really easy to slip. If you're having trouble getting to them, don't push yourself. Retrace your steps and find an easier path. Once you do get up to the caves, they are deffinately worth it.
If climbing is a little too adventurous for you, there are a few caves a little closer to the ground that you can visit, but the ones on top of the cliff are deffinately the nicest.
The caves are on public land, so you don't have to worry about trespassing, but some bush wackng is required. Watch out for rattlesnakes and scorpions, and make sure you bring a flashlight. Even though the caves are right by the road, getting to them takes longer then you think, so make sure you bring a bottle of water.

Vermilion Cliffs

by BruceDunning

This pristine area of 293,000 acres is a side treasure not to far from Kanab. It is separated by Hwy 89 north end and Hwy 89A to the south end. It is a 50 miles stretch of red buttes and preserved area. A small number come each year to the interior to hike and camp. Only 25,000 visitors a year do come here because it is so remote. NO paved roads go through the territory, and the others are sand/clay and dangerous in some weather issues. It is operated by Bureau of Land Management since 1984 when it became preserved site. Hardly any road maintenance is done on the roads. There are a number of rough hikes that can be taken into the interior. It requires skills in hiking 10+ miles, climbing, rappelling, and scrambling in some instances. 4WD vehicles can get into some areas. YOu need a permit to stay long of go in deep to the land area.

A nice western style town!

by Jerelis

"Just time for some refreshments ..."

A nice western style town situated between Glen Canyon N.R.A. and Bryce Canyon. Famous of all the movies and tv-series shot in this area like "The Lone Ranger", "Lassie" and "Maverick". We made a short stop for some refreshments and had a quick look around.

Diary of a Madman.

by Jerelis

"How we won't forget any details."

“Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it.”
~ Samuel Johnson, 1775 ~

Whenever we undertake a journey to a particular country we always want to know all about the surroundings, it’s history, it’s culture, which cities to visit, which hikes to undertake, et cetera. In advance to the journey we browse over the internet to get certain information and read travel books just to make sure we won’t miss out on anything.

Once we’re travelling we like to talk to the local people about their own country, their own region and those conversations will retrieve lots of extra information about some beautiful spots to visit, the ultimate restaurant or sometimes a particular area to avoid.

Ever since we had our own personal travel site an this one at Virtual Tourist we like not only to undertake the journey, but also write about it for everyone to enjoy. Just to make sure we won’t forget the details of our journey we write is all down in a diary. We have given the dairy the name “Diary of a madman” and it contains all the information we have gathered. We like to make the diary more beautiful to glue in some pictures out of folders and also the entrance tickets to museums, National Parks, bus tickets, et cetera.

This way we’re able to tell all our friends about our travels. For Virtual Tourist we can reproduce all the information for (hopefully) solid tips with lots of good details that will help you in your travels. Besides that it’s always fun to read about a journey we took for example 7 or 8 years ago and read about what we exactly did and how we experienced it. We also have managed to keep in touch with the local people we talked to and do nourish these contacts. On this Travelogue of Virtual Tourist you can see some pages out of the Diary of a madman and have an impression on how it looks. Enjoy!

Comments