Utah Trails Cultural Center

Good For No Data

More about Kanab

Kanab Canyon CavesKanab Canyon Caves

Grosevenor Arch-Hard Drive to get hereGrosevenor Arch-Hard Drive to get here

Brochure on the caveBrochure on the cave

Steel Stallions by Denny's WigwamSteel Stallions by Denny's Wigwam

Travel Tips for Kanab

Snow spotted sand dunes

by goingsolo

Snow adds a picturesque quality to the colored topography of Utah, and the dunes are no exception. In the picture, remnants from a recent snowfall remain in stark white contrast to the pink sand beneath.

Talk to someone who knows ...

by Jerelis

I guess we all agree on this on; there is nothing more exciting than going travelling - exploring another country, experiencing a different culture, travelling around in new ways, sampling the local cuisine and chatting to the local people for a different perspective on life.

However during our travels we learned that there is one certain thing that you should be aware of and prepared for to make sure that the trip is as easy and enjoyable as possible. We always try to see everything once we're there, but this is not always an act of responsible travelling. We always talk to the locals and we know that they have the information about just the right spots to visit and how to undertake them. It will not only enhance your experiences but also avoid any unnecessary hassles.

For us the travel tips we have written in this section made the most of our travel experience and we came home in the same happy, healthy state that we left.

Paria Movie Set-Townsite

by BruceDunning

I should have listened to the visitor center guide who forewarned of the concern for getting to this site. Unfortunately, she did not emphasize enough the difficulty. The location is about 35 miles from Kanab on Hwy 89, and turn south and to go 5 miles down a "dirt" road. Well that was actually sand and clay base and treacherous climbing up one lane hills with no leeway for turnaround of vehicles.
I would not try to see the site, unless you are a risk taker. The turnoff is also about 40 miles west of Page on Hwy 89. It is part of the Vermilion Cliffs BLM park. The side road is 5 miles south.

Since I got so far in, I was stuck because there was no place to turn around. Next thing I knew I was climbing a hill that had a narrow lane and deep ruts all over. The overhang was a sheer drop of about 100 feet. I got over that, and then going down the hill was confronted with a creek bed. It was wet, but not much; I thought. Well that clay grabs onto the tire tread, and that was the end of it. I had not traction at all. Needless to say. I worked on getting ready to climb back up that hill to get out of there pronto. It took 4 tries and a grinding/burning transmission, but made it out.
OH, by the way, there is no movie set. The last two buildings are ruins and vandals burned the rest. There is only a plaque describing how it used to be. I did not intend to go any further to the townsite from there, but it is apparently also ruins and not much left.

The Waves and other great sceneries

by filipdebont

In the second part of my USA 2007 trip, I wanted to discover some of the most beautiful Parks in the western part of America - yes right in Utah.

So I decided to use Kanab as my kind of base camp.

It looked interesting to me as it is located pretty central in between the beautiful National Parks like Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon (North Rim).

Of course these are all super highlights, which no America traveller can miss.

But in fact the main reason for this visit was the hike to the Waves.

Indeed the Waves - a hidden gem - located on the border of Utah and Arizona. You only have access with a special permit; only 20 persons a day are allowed to make this hike. I can assure it was a magnificent experience with lots of amazing sights and pictures.

Gateway to the Grand Canyon and the Grand Circle

by goingsolo

Kanab is a little town that is more well known for what's nearby than what is actually there. Located just a few miles north of the Arizona-Utah border, Kanab is often a stopping point between the Grand Canyon's North Rim and Utah's dixie area.

Kanab does have its charms though and its worth a stop before heading to points north or south. In November, 2004, I did just that. A brief stop in Kanab gave me the chance to visit one of Utah's interesting state parks and found me rested and refreshed after a great night in a charming and affordable hotel. By morning, I did what most Kanab tourists did and headed out to Utah's Grand Circle. But the brief stay was pleasant and thus noteworthy.

Comments