Motel 6 Moab

1089 North Main Street, Hwy 191, north entrance of Moab City, Moab, Utah, 84532, United States
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 63% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Moab

My friends under Corona ArchMy friends under Corona Arch

South Window, Arches, National ParkSouth Window, Arches, National Park

Large multiple stoolsLarge multiple stools

Valley CabinsValley Cabins

transportation within National parks in Moab

by pennysaver1981

We are planning on taking a trip to Moab for this Thanks Giving. I was wondering if we can rent a car to see all the National Parks near Moab. Or is it that only a jeep can navigate those roads.

by bocmaxima

No, all main roads into the national parks should be fine for regular passenger vehicles. There's no reason to be on the back roads that would require a 4x4 or high-clearance vehicle and certainly no reason to rent one.
If it's excessively icy, then the road into Arches will not be open because there's a steep incline at the entrance. But it's unlikely that you'll encounter any inclement weather. Just have a good time.

by juliogg

They rent Jeeps in Moab.

by goodfish

Agree with Colin - we saw both parks (Arches and Canyonlands) with just an ordinary rental car. The park roads are good.

by pennysaver1981

Thanks bocmaxima and goodfish. Your replies were helpful and lifted a load off my chest.

You're welcome!

I will mention that there are parts of Canyonlands that DO involve a 4-wheel drive, and that some of those are currently closed due to wash outs. At the Island in the Sky segment (the part of the park near Moab), parts of the unpaved, backcountry roads are currently inaccessible or impassible. This DOES NOT affect the paved, main road that goes to all the overlooks, or the trails to reach them, though.

It doesn't sound like you were looking for backcountry exploration but thought I'd mention this, just in case. If you were planning on seeing the more isolated Maze section, it can be reached with 2-wheel drive BUT the road is very rough, and you would probably only go out there to do the trek out to the Gallery, unless an experienced backcountry hiker. As well, I believe that one may involve a permit but would have to check.

Oh, do swing by Dead Horse Point State Park on your way to/from Canyonlands!!! The panoramas are excellent, and it's not a far jaunt at all if going to that part of the park.

by pennysaver1981

Thanks goodfish, for the detailed reply. Yeah we dont have plans to explore the backpaths in Moab. Its not an option with a 2 yr old travelling with us :). We just want to get a look at some of the famous and popular places there.. we will be there for 4 days.
I sure was planning on visiting the Dead Horse Point State Park. I got the idea that its a lesser known place, but had great views.

by goodfish

Ah - a wee one along, eh?? Some of the trails to the overlooks at Canyonlands are not far, and some of them are a bit farther. If your tot is walking, hang onto him/her tightly as the edges are not necessarily protected, and there are very, very long dropoffs.

Trails at Arches also range from very, very short to several miles in length, but with the exception of one or two (which you probably wouldn't do anyway) no worries about your tot.

Beautiful area - we're talking about maybe going back this fall. :)

Travel Tips for Moab

Flowers Are Varied and Pretty

by BruceDunning

Moab has the luxury of the Colorado River running through the area, so the water benefits the growth of plants. Below are some of the indigenous to the are and region. We have a hard time growing the moon flower plant in this climate, but down there, it propagates naturally from seed.

Mountain biking to Moab is...

by Got_Snow

Mountain biking to Moab is like sex to the Red Light District in Amsterdam. It is hot, technical, and the scenery is outstanding. I don't know anything about the second analogy, but the mountain biking I do. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the epic journey to Moab. We arrived in Moab at 2:00 am in the morning. We had driven seven hours to get to the beautiful mountain biking mecca of Moab.
My cousin, Chris, and I had driven from Wyoming and we met my cousin, Tim and his friend Greg, at Ken's Lake. We had planned to meet up and camp their because it wasn't too far from Moab, and better yet it was free! When we had arrived, the campground was swarming with over-sized motorhomes, Jeeps, four-wheelers, and motor-cross bikes.
Normally, during the hot summer months, Ken's Lake has an uncrowded campground, but we arrived in the peak of people. Little did we know that Easter Jeep Week (Four-wheel drivers from Satan) was going to be in full force. Moab was a zoo crawling with monster trucks, huge jeeps, and hummers. I was horrified as we drove through Moab. All of the campgrounds, hotels, motels, and hostels were packed with four-wheel drive, off-road, gas-guzzling, pollution packing, decked out vehicles. 'Great!' I thought to myself. We are going to be competing with these damn things on the trail all weekend, and what is worse we are a lot smaller!
When we got to the campground, Tim and Greg were waiting for us. They had already searched for a camp site, but there was nothing to be had! It was completely full. We ended up driving down south from there, and pulling on a side road with another campground. We drove up and there wasn't much of a crowd. It was 2:00 am in the morning and we just wanted to relax. We drank a couple of beers, bs'ed
for about a half an hour, and pulled out our sleeping pads and sleeping bags. We purched under our own private trees and slept under the stars. Magestic right? Nope, the highway was about 25 yards from us and it was busy with people coming into town. It was a full moon, the semi trucks passed by all night long, and I came down for some peace, quite, and miles of people-free trails.
But one of the fondest memories I had was just before a fell asleep in the brisk spring wind. I thought to myself, 'This is what a road trip is all about. Facing the odds and making the best of what is dished out to you. Jack Kerouac would have been proud!' I looked up at the full moon and knew that this was really going to be an amazing journey in the desert.
pic from AdventurePlanet.com

Grab your bike, put on your...

by CWebb

Grab your bike, put on your helmet and head for the Slick Rocks bike trail. Be sure to take lots of water (especially in the summer months) and use your own judgement when riding--this trail is not for beginners.

Potash Road Petroglyphs

by KiKitC

Along Potash Road (Route 279) just north of Moab, Utah, are fine examples of undisturbed petroglyphs left by the ancestral puebloan people of the area from 600 AD to 1300 AD.

Route 279 runs along the Colorado River, and these petroglyphs, due to their location, have remained untouched...much unlike other examples of petroglyphs in the area.

These can be viewed from car, as they are on the cliffs lining the river. How have they remained in tact? The petroglyphs are at least 20 feet above the road, making it difficult to deface. And luckily, because it is a fine example of both the San Rafeal Fremont tribes, as well as Ute art from later generations.

The petroglyphs depict images of hunters, warriors, bison, deer, and surprisingly...horsemen.

Bring a good shoe selection

by WinInZion

Moab has some amazing hiking and good shoes are a must. A great hike is Negro Bill Canyon to Morninig Glory Bridge but your feet will get wet. My wife and I wear Keen Newport H2s but my friends ended up buying Tevas so they wouldn't have wet hiking shoes the rest of the trip.

In other areas the slickrock requires good traction, sneakers don't work real well. We did the Fiery Furnace hike in Arches NP and one of the fellows slipped and slid his way through in sneakers.

Comments