3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Otel.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 118% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Mansier's Profile Photo

The best view in town

The Lodge is located about 14 miles from Moab and its lights. This backdrop was used in several western films including those with John Wayne.

Upon arrival we were greated by very helpful staff members and their delicious cookies. The rooms are stocked with refrigerators, microwaves, a kitchen area, lounge area, and a patio boardering either the Colorado River or Clear Creek.

Dinner is available in both the Lounge and Dining Room here at the lodge, and a wine tasting event is run all afternoon.

Breakfast at Red Cliffs Lodge was on par with the other hotels along our trip. That is to say that there were several choices and everyone went away with a full belly and nary a complaint. The sunrise presents itself outside the huge glass windows boardering the restaurant. Wake up a bit early to enjoy the best of these sights.

Unique Quality: At the Red Cliffs Lodge travelers are afforded a sight not usually available. I live in a great neighborhood in Medina, Ohio that has a nice sunset, but at night seeing the stars is difficult. The streetlights and close city center keep us from this enjoyment. At Red Cliffs Lodge there is lighting to walk around, but nothing else for about 14 miles. Looking at the sky is like being in a planatarium, only much more vast and impressive.

• setikeyvan's Profile Photo

One of America's Original Ranches

The Red Cliffs Lodge is a wonderful ranch about 30-minutes drive from downtown Moab. The lodge is located in an exquisite location along the Colorado River and it's actually one of America's oldest ranches - the original owner's grave is still on site. It's a great place to retreat for a few days and enjoy nature at its best. The ranch is surrounded by beautiful 2000-ft Red Rock Cliffs and a lovely on-site vineyard. I would absolutely recommend staying at this lodge if you plan to visit Moab and here is why:

Service - The service was fantastic. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Upon check-in, I was greeted with a warm cookie. Additionally, I requested turn-down service at no extra charge. If I wanted to, the staff would've booked activities on my behalf such as hiking, horse riding, off-roading, mountain biking and river rafting.

Facilities - I was pleasantly surprised with the room. The bathroom was large and beautifully decorated. The bed area was roomy and elevated in comparison the kitchenette and private patio. And "yes!" I said kitchenette. The kitchenette -- large enough for a family of four -- was comprised of a sink, microwave, refrigerator, utensils, plates, dinning table and a sofa. And if I had brought my lap top, I could've surfed the Internet from my room. (They also had two Internet stations in the lobby).

Views - The views from the patio were impressive. Not only did I have an amazing view of the Colorado River and the beautiful red-rocks, I was only 100-ft from the water!

Superb Restaurant - The Cowboy Grill was a delicious restaurant with a fantastic outdoor terrace overlooking the river. The food was quite delicious and during my two-night stay at the lodge, I did not feel the need to drive back to downtown Moab for dinner. Finally, the restaurant had plenty of options to satisfy vegetarians and carnivores alike!

Family Friendly - The lodge is quite ideal for families. The suites and cabins were roomy and the grounds offered plenty of distractions for kids, and adults, such as – a swimming pool and jacuzzi, tennis courts, exercise room, volleyball, large tepees (near Pioneer River Deck), swings, horses (at Corral) and a movie history museum.

Unique Quality:
    * Large rooms with views of the Colorado River and Red Rock Cliffs
    * Fantastic remote location (this can also be a burden - it depends on the guest)
    * Movie History Museum - You can see memorabilia of famous movies that were filmed in the Red Rock Canyons. Remember "Thelma and Louise" or " Mission Impossible" or "Indiana Jones"?
    * All in one - Everything you need is right there on site (they even have laundry)
    * Castle Creek Winery - This winery produces 4000 cases of wine
    * Wonderful service - Warm cookies, friendly staff and to-go lunch boxes
    * Great food
    * Creepy grave on site - actually it's not that creepy, but still
    * Vineyard
    * Horses

Directions: From downtown Moab: Go down Main St./191 towards the 70. Turn right onto Hwy 128. If you pass Arches National Park, turn around. From the 70: Take 191 towards Moab. You'll pass Arches National Park and the Colorado River Bridge. Turn left onto Hwy 128.

• Segolily's Profile Photo

Ideal location

We were able to stay a few nights in this most magical of locations. Situated on a bend of the Colorado it is a quiet retreat from the more hectic pace in Moab. We ate dinner on the deck as the sun was setting. The river gently flowed past, the cliffs turned red and the feeling was strong, "this is when you know life is good".

Unique Quality: The main lobby and restaurant are separate from the other accommodations. We could park right in front of the room, but it was a slight walk back to the restaurant. We enjoyed a queen room that was really more like a suite. There was room for more than the two of us. We also had a little kitchenette and patio. The rooms were very nice, upscale from the usual Moab hotels. There are also cottages along the river which can sleep more people.

The food was good. They grow their own grapes as well and serve their own wine. An unusual accomplishment for Utah.

In conjunction with the hotel is a film museum. The land was once a ranch and many movies were filmed nearby over the years. And many of the stars were friends or visitors to the ranch. It was interesting to see the films, the stars and the locations.

I took no pictures. I just savored the experience, but the website is representative of the hotel.

Directions: Away from town, by itself, along the Colorado River

More about Red Cliffs Lodge Moab

Red Cliffs Lodge is wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member GD2004

Everyone's already said it, but this place is wonderful. Reasonably priced. cool little museum on site. amazing views. beautiful pool. river view from king room. the room is more like a little casita. spotless. twilight from the restaurant deck is phenomenal. a whole kitchen really, you can make your own meal. I loved desert, drinks, salad at restaurant. main course was a little bit over the top (too much sauce etc.) but what a picky complaint. Although I planned a different trip (Wyoming/Montana versus Utah) this year, my kids adored this hotel and I cant wait to come back. yes it is a bit of a drive from moab itself, but we did not mind one bit. wonderful to come from arches and stay with the incredible vistas, Fisher, etc, and arrived at such a special place.

please don't change anything (except tone down sauce on some main courses at restaurant)

Moab Adventure Center - One Stop for Adventure

by setikeyvan

The Moab Adventure Center is a reliable, quality and competitively-priced adventure center in Moab. It's a store and adventure provider in one. They are located smack in the middle of downtown Moab and you can't miss them because they have a huge raft mounted on posts at the corner of Main St. and 200 South. They present themselves really well and they are buttoned up company. I felt like I was walking into a mini-Disneyland for Adventure enthusiasts. The staff was really friendly and they suggested the perfect adventure itinerary based on my interests.

The Moab Adventure Center offers tons of amazing group adventures and they often offer discounts if you book three or more adventures with them. They are definitely the most popular adventure provider in Moab and it's not just because they have a flashy store on Main Street. It seems they really offer the best quality for the price. I spoke to various individuals on my group activities who booked activities via various providers and their experience with Moab Adventure was the best according to them. I, on the other hand, decided to stick to Moab Adventure solely and they certainly met my expectations.

Moab Adventure Center's signature adventures include:

Colorado River Adventure
They offer half- and full-day adventures. I strongly recommend the full-day, but if you do the half-day, book the afternoon trip so you can enjoy an amazing BBQ lunch on the Colorado River at the Red Cliffs Lodge Pioneer's River Deck restaurant - the BBQ is included in the price. I did the full day rafting adventure and it was insanely fun. The raft guides were energetic and pumped as we descended rapids that were category 1 - 3 and participated in rafting wars. The BBQ thoroughly beat my expectations. They had salad, chips, fruit, cookies, lemonade, but most impressively they had quite a few variations of burger patties. They even had two types of veggie burgers! I tried my very first black bean veggie patty and it was absolutely delicious! If you go on a rafting trip make sure you:
1) Wear clothing that will dry quickly
2) Bring a water bottle (you can refill on the raft)
3) Bring a water proof case for your camera
4) Bring sunscreen and sunglasses
5) If you have valuables with you, bring a waterproof rafting pack that you can clip onto the raft.

Hummer tours
They offer 2- to 4-hour day-time and sunset tours on Moab's slick rocks.

Hiking trips
They offer two 4-hour tours at Arches National Park. One is a sunset tour and the other is a special guided tour through the Fiery Furnace. I did the Fiery Furnace tour and I would definitely recommend it to anyone else. It was a private guided tour with four other people. The guide took her time with us and gave us very personalized service and education through the Fiery Furnace. Arches National Park only allows 75 people to go through the Fiery Furnace every day, you have to have a special hiking permit or you have to be part of a tour. So it's definitely a superbly exclusive experience. It's like a giant maze of amazing slick rock formations, narrow canyons, balanced rocks and arches. One of the loveliest arches in the Fiery Furnace is the Surprise Arch. It has that name because it's hidden far into a narrow canyon. One thing you should know is that you can go on this hike with a Park Ranger as your guide. The cost for the latter is far lower than what I paid. The only downfall is that the group size is much larger - I think they can reach upwards of 30 people. But if you don't care about group size, you may want to book with the Park Ranger. Just go the Arches National Park visitor's center early in the morning (7:30 a.m. or so) or call them to ask about a tour.

The Moab Adventure Center can also help you book other activities such as mountain biking, flights, horseback riding, jet boat tours and climbing and canyoneering. I booked the canyoneering trip and it was grand! I had never gone canyoneering before and this was a fantastic introduction. I started with a 90-ft rappel into a giant chasm and then continued on with a 120-ft rappel down a giant arch formation! A few of my group-mates had major fear of heights, but the instructors did a great job keeping them calm and getting them to beat their fears! After the two rappels the guide took us for a beautiful 1-hour hike through a lush canyon along side a river stream. If you plan on doing this trip, bring shoes that are rough and water resistant.

So, all in all, if you're coming to Moab, I would definitely suggest you check out the Moab Adventure Center. It's a great place to start your adventure - it really worked out for me!

Our entire family loved this place!

We stayed at the Red Cliffs Lodge before heading out on a raft trip and were sorry to have to leave so soon! The rooms are very large, nicely decorated and have amazing views. We rented a separate room for our children, but could have shared one room given the nice sleeper sofa arrangement and queen beds. We loved the restaurant as well although it is a little pricey. The view from the lodge of the river and red rocks is something we'll never forget. We will definitely come back here.

Comfortable rooms and great setting

by TripAdvisor Member mrc25

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Red Cliffs Lodge. It provides a very comfortable base from which to explore the area. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed - not particularly stylish but very pleasant nonetheless. Our king riverside room had a small kitchenette area with a table for four, a nice sofa, a comfortable bed facing the view, and a super-clean bathroom with separate dressing area. It also had a nice patio area which was quite private. We always appreciate having a coffee-maker, frig, iron, bathrobes, and all of these were provided.
The property itself is large and attractive. The pool and hot-tub were welcome after a day of hiking. We didn't partake in any hotel-sponsored activities, but watching others gave us the impression that most do and that the hotel makes it all very easy and convenient. The lodge's horses were beautiful. The property seems very efficiently run.
This place seems to embody what you'd expect in a good western hotel/motel; large, very comfortable, ranch-like, with absolutely beautiful scenery typical of the area.
P.S. Buck's in Moab is a great place to have dinner - moderate prices, great for families or couples, and very good food!

Picturesque

by TripAdvisor Member pbregman

We found the Red Cliffs Lodge on this website just days before we wanted to arrive. Fortunately they had a room for us and the staff helping us with reservations were very friendly and helpfull.

We spent 3 nights at the lodge and we will definitely return. We are a family of 5 (8, 3, 1) and we were very comfortable at the lodge. Our only major complaint was that the property does not provide cribs for infants. We were on the road for 3 weeks and this was the only property that could not accomodate us with a crib. When asked why at the front desk we were told the owner doesnt want to deal with it; that it is a very large property and that it would be too difficult to deal with. Truly they could keep a few cribs at the front desk and let guests pick up and return the cribs with a deposit or something.

Nevertheless, this was not enough to spoil this amazing property. Our room was the King and it was very comfortable, clean, and it had the most amazing view. We never ate in the restaurant except for the breakfast buffet which was perfect. Each day we made trips to town about 15 miles to have dinner etc.... The drive is so beautiful, each time we made the roundtrip we found different places to stop along the way or noticed different sites.

Staff were very friendly and helpful with the exception of Dawn who gave us a little attitude right from the beginning. She is consistent though because she maintained this kind of attitude our entire stay. We just avoided her! There was some confusion about our rate the first two nights of our stay. Dawn was not willing to speak to the staff who made the reservation for us to figure out what they had told me. The difference wasnt that huge and we loved the property and were very pleased that they had a room for us so we left it alone.

My 8 year old and I went horse back riding on the property which was okay. There were about 20 riders and one of them got sick during the ride which slowed things down significantly for everyone and it was hot. Nice site seeing but pretty boring after the first 30 minutes. All in all we will definitely go back to this property. In my HO Moab is a one of a kind destination in our big beautiful country and the Red Cliffs Lodge is a great choice.

Very nice place to stay

We spent 3 nights in June and really liked the place. The room was large with a nice sitting area and kitchenette. The patio faced the river & cliffs and we could watch rafts coming through.

Views from the dining room are fabulous. We ate the breakfast buffet and would sit outside enjoying the cool morning air and the views. Also ate dinner there 2 times - one was pretty good and one was so-so. A little pricey for the food, but the deck is fabulous.

Check the web site. We booked a hummer safari (Loved it) at the same time we booked the room and got a discount on the room.

Good facilities - pool, gym, hot tub, etc. Only negative is 15 miles out of town - but we still liked the place a whole lot and were sorry to leave.

Good, but some personal issues along the way

by TripAdvisor Member moodyblue

In light of all of the wonderful reviews of this place, I want to stay as objective as possible about my experiences at Red Cliffs. To start, the main reason to stay here is the outstanding scenery. One could stay in Moab and enjoy the mountain scenery, but to experience the incredible views of the red cliffs which surround the lodge, one needs to stay at Red Cliffs (or at Sorrel River Lodge - several miles futher east of the lodge). And before I forget, if you only drive between the lodge and Moab, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and just once turn left out of the lodge and drive east another 10 miles on highway 128 and soak up the indescribable beauty you will encounter - these are the memories I treasure the most from my trip to Moab. The rooms, with one exception, are in good shape. We had the breakfast buffet just once and it was pretty good. The pool is nothing special; but my wife and kids had great things to say about the horseback ride they went on.

Ok, now for the things which bothered me. Generally I found the front desk staff to be rather indifferent. The wranglers on the other hand, were quite friendly and helpful. I found out about this place in the AAA guidebook for Utah. The latest version of this source indicated there is a free continental breakfast with the room rate. My decision to stay there was based, in part, on this statement. Well, it turns out the lodge says the information is wrong and they have tried to correct it with AAA. Well, that might be the case, but that's not my problem - as far as I care, they didn't deliver on something that I expected to have happen. The hotel guidebook in the room said that kids under the age of 12 were half price at breakfast, but at the restaurant the age dropped to 10. When I asked about that, I was told the info in the room was wrong. I had a $10 dollar coupon off the entire stay I attempted to use, but they wouldn't accept it as I already had a discounted rate (the coupon stated "save $10 off our lowest rates," which led me to think it was valid). Well, I dropped $1500 at this place and saving ten bucks really wouldn't have made much of a difference to me, but it would have shown some goodwill on the hotel's part had they taken it. The exception to the room mentioned above is the sleeper sofa. I thought by virtue of all of our stays at Embassy Suite Hotels, we discovered every bad sleeper sofa in the world. I was wrong. The one in our room was the worst excuse of a sleeper sofa mattress I have ever seen. I had to bribe my son $50 so he would sleep on it. I can't comment on the other rooms, but if you know you require the sleeper sofa, I'd recommend not booking room 306. The first full day there, housekeeping didn't make it to our room until 5:30 pm. The said they were short staffed, and while I feel for that situation, it's unacceptable to have the room cleaned that late. Maybe I'm the only one bothered by this, but I saw that when they clean the room, they leave the door open the entire time (approx. 15 minutes). There are a lot of flies there and I really don't care to have them in my room - which is what happened because of leaving the door open. Finally, I realize the hotel is entitled to book any and all guests. But for some reason, there were two tour busses filled with teenagers there the entire time we were. When they descended on the swimming pool, it was a nightmare. The bad dream continued, as they left the place pretty well trashed. I have to say though, watching them play football and baseball in the parking lot outside the lobby gave the lodge more of a trailer park atmosphere then the four diamonds which AAA awarded it.

For what it's worth, we ate at Pasta Jay's and the Moab Brewerey, both on Main Street, and had very good meals.

Comments