Monument Valley State Park Hotels

Our Members Say

• Yaqui profile photo Yaqui
  • Reviews: 4658

Hampton Inn Kayenta: New & Clean

I will say, this was the newest hotel for this area. I did check out the others via the internet and those were "ify". Not too many good reviews for the hotels in this area. The Best Western looked run down and the Holiday Inn looked even worse. This hotel looked new and clean so we tried it. When I walked inside I was glad we chose it. Although, they had only standard beds in the rooms it was ok by me. We were all very tired and needed to unwinded and sleep. The rooms were decorated in southwest design ofcourse and very clean. I will say the rooms were too hot for us, sorry mountain folks, use to cold so I had to turn on the air conditioner to cool the room down. The beds were kind of small for us, but they worked. The bathroom was spotless....A+!!! We had a complimentary breakfast in the morning which was great! A restaurant, fitness, pool, and gift shop all within the front entrance area. Very nice hotel! The lovely gals were all very friendly and dressed in very lovely traditional attire.

Unique Qualities: Our hotel is 100% non-smoking.
Beverage Area, Complimentary
Safety Deposit Box
Pool
Fitness Center
Restaurant
Located right next to a Burger King (Code Talker Museum inside)
Located right next to a Navajo Shadehouse Musuem~Just delightful!

• Related to: Historical Travel, Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written November 18, 2013

• Mr.Sparkle profile photo Mr.Sparkle
  • Reviews: 327
Looking for a place to stay?

Wanna stay near monument valley? you're gonna pay for it... and there's not much choice. That being said, here is a website that lists all the hotels in the area. its a short list!

Best of luck with finding your accommodations.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written January 28, 2011

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Monument Valley Campground: the answer my friend is blowing in the wind

The campground at Monument Valley was under construction when we visited in June of 2008. I had stayed at the old campground in 1995 and it was not the greatest facility. This coupled with it being more expensive than most National Park campgrounds helped make for an unpleasant memory of the park in general.

The temporary campground that we stayed at on the last trip was inexpensive at $10 but little effort was made and in truth should have likely been free. They basically set five or six picnic shelters up in a row along with a string of port-o-toilets. Aside from that, it was set up strictly for RV's and no consideration was given for people using tents. Evidently, along with a new hotel that was under construction when we were there, the new campground is now open and located right next to the also new visitor center. It can only be hoped that more consideration was put into the new facility. It is reasonably priced at $14 so if a “real” campground, it would represent good value.

When we were there, the temporary campground was set up on a flat bluff, that while having an amazing view of the Mittens, was very exposed to not only the sun but also any kind of wind there might be. Well, it was whipping on our arrival but we stupidly set up our tent anyway, wanting to stake out our territory and view of the Mittens. We did a good job and the tent managed not to be blown away in its 16 hour tenure fastened there. It was a great spot for sunset and sunrise, with the Mittens in direct view right from our tent on our chilly morning wake-up. It was almost like backpacking and the campground didn't seem so bad at that point.

As we broke down the tent, however, it was obvious the tent poles had been bent pretty severely. You could use the tent in fair conditions but it was not going to make it through the rest of our six-month trip, especially not on a backpacking trip where wind/rain could be a factor and we would be far from civilization. We made it from here up to the coast and up to San Francisco but bought a new one before going to Yosemite. So, a tent that had served me faithfully since my virgin US Western road trip in 1994 died at Monument Valley in 2008. We would disperse his parts in various parks that he had camped in previously from Yosemite all the way to the Rocky Mountain Park in Colorado on our way home.

• Related to: Camping, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written August 10, 2009
Tip Photo

the tent fights valiantly to remain standing

• jbreweral2or profile photo jbreweral2or
  • Reviews: 16

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Desert Rose Inn: In the Middle of Nowhere

I had driven a long day from the Salt Flats and my original intent was to stop in Moab. However, I had made no reservations and with prices above $150, I refused to stay in Moab. So I kept driving to the middle of nowhere, passing up the few derelict-looking chain motels in southeast Utah. Finally I came upon the Desert Rose. Given its pleasant appearance on the outside, I decided to risk it. I wasn't disappointed.

Situated near Monument Valley and other parks. Very clean and comfortable rooms.

• Related to: Photography, National/State Park, Desert
  • Written August 8, 2009
Tip Photo

• jumpingnorman profile photo jumpingnorman
  • Reviews: 927

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Best Western Wetherill Inn: Poor curbside appeal but nice room, flat TV, pool

I was inspired to go to the Monument Valley through the great pictures of my VT Friend Yaqui’s pages and Yaqui (Dee) was so nice and immediately suggested we stay in Kayenta which is about 20 minutes from the Monument Valley buttes.
I looked up on Expedia and there are 3 hotels to choose from – Holiday Inn, Best Western Wetherill and the Hampton Inn. Dee stayed at the newer building Hampton Inn and enjoyed her experience there. So, I tried to book it but only Best Western was available! Well, after looking at pictures of the room, we said we’ll give it a try…
The room was only about $135 (with tax already, AAA discount) and the hotel was easy to find as it was along the way to Monument Valley. It was as has been said in previous reviews, kinda run-down looking. There were several yellow caution ribbon on some of the pillars and I think they are doing some renovations and there was some work being done on the parking lot.
Check-in was easy and the Native Indian ladies were very nice at the reception, one of them not being in Monument Valley park herself! Wow - I offered her a ride into it, but she smilingly declined...I thought that was interesting some locals never even visited the driving to the buttes!

Well, the room was clean and smelled a little bit perfumy to me but my wife said she liked it. I got used to it after a while and noticed the nice two large queen beds. And there was a flat screen TV! The toilet was also spotlessly clean and the flush was so strong it was like that in the airplane…I jokingly told my son to be careful or he’ll get flushed in. There was mini-refrigerator and a big closet as well…Wireless internet was available and you have to ask the UserID and password at the reception and it was a fast connection (not slow and interrupted according to review on Tripadvisor). It looks like the hotel is keeping an effort to be clean and nice in the rooms, but they do have to do some work on the outside of the building.
The indoor pool (3ft to 5ft) was very nice and very clean – the towels were aplenty and we had fun swimming and shouting, hearing our echoes, hehehe…There’s also a place for sunbathing outside the door. Continental breakfast was okay, having some pastries, bagels and boiled eggs. The hotel seemed to be full and all tables were occupied so we shared a table with a nice couple from Michigan.
Overall, an okay hotel to stay at near Monument Valley which probably just needs more curbside appeal.

indoor pool

• Related to: Family Travel, National/State Park, Road Trip
  • Written June 21, 2009

Indoor pool, in Best Western Inn, Kayenta, AZ

• RAINBOWWINGS profile photo RAINBOWWINGS
  • Reviews: 201

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Inn kayenta: Kayenta

The only hotel actually in the State Park was full so we opted for the Holiday Inn in Kayenta approx 20minutes away. Good choice. Nice clean rooms in small lodges . Friendly Navajo staff. Good food although service was a little slow...but we werent in any hurry!

Very nicely decorated with beautiful sand paintings done by the Navajo, good sized gift shop, and nice terraced pool, and situated in the middle of the biggest Indian reservation in the US.
One problem...if you like a drink or two...its a dry town so no alcohol. The hotel does offer both red and white wine that is non-alcoholic, but after tasting it, we stuck with water!

• Written August 5, 2007

Holiday Inn Kayenta

• RedBaggy profile photo RedBaggy
  • Reviews: 21

The Mexican Hat Lodge: Our Favourite Place to Stay

We stayed here on a Friday night and all 32 of Mexican Hat's residents, the lodge guests and the RV park guests were in the bar celebrating. There was a cowboy cooking swinging steaks and a live band that were very good. The bar was outside with an assortment of tarpaulins to keep any rain off. The actual bar served jars of ale and the only food was steak. We had a great time here.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Road Trip, Beer Tasting, Family Travel
  • Written February 16, 2007

Cowboys . . . tie your trucks up

• DMcD profile photo DMcD
  • Reviews: 33

Mittenview Campground: Mittenview -- the best

Right at the doorstep to the Arizona entry to Monument Valley. They say you can't camp in the valley (unless accompanied by guides) --- but you couldn't get any closer than this (right on the rim edge). As stated by others, it can be a little windy and the showers are something out of the 20's but the Valley tourist center is only a few feet away and has a restaurant, sundries, laundromat, unique gifts and other functions. Despite the wind at sunset (and maybe a little because of it) we truly enjoyed this unique experience. The best campsite we've ever stayed in (even better than Yosemite in its own way) because of the view and the overpowering calm emminating from this wonderful place. We were some of the lucky ones to get a site on the rim edge (the other sites are still fine and worth the effort). Great place for a tent but can accomodate RV's up to 30' fairly easy. I here all this stuff about Sedona being one of the spiritual vortex's of the world. Having been to both, we'll take Monument Valley anyday. I'm not a religous person but this place is a truly spiritual experience.

Incomparable view -- a truly unique and life enhancing experience.

• Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip, Photography
  • Written June 20, 2006

• Karnubawax profile photo Karnubawax
  • Reviews: 280

MV campgrounds: You have a choice of campgrounds...

There are 2 campgrounds in the immediate vicinity of Monument Valley. The first is Mittenview, run by the Navajo. The second is Gouldings, an RV park with tent spaces, about a mile away.

Mittenview is 100 small sites on a very exposed, windy hillside. The plus here is that you have a great view of Monument Valley with your morning coffee. Gouldings is nestled in a little valley across the highway, so it is much more protected from the elements. I think Mittenview is $10 and Gouldings is like $16.

I think Gouldings is also a hotel, in case you forgot your tent.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written January 27, 2006

• AKtravelers profile photo AKtravelers
  • Reviews: 936

Monument Valley Campground: Our Favorite American Camping View

We have not found a campground in America that has a better view than the campground at Monument Valley. It is set on a plateau that overlooks all that is famous in Monument Valley. Unfortunately, we didn't arrive early enough to get the primo sites -- those on the rim with a tent window view overlooking the valley and the buttes. However, we pitched our tent just a few rows over and were able to see the state of the sunrise from our tent flap and arise in time to take good photos (as you can see from the opening page). To this day, I'm still envious of those who got the campsites on the rim.
The campground has no trees to provide shade or protect against the wind. Because its on an Indian reservation, petty crime can be a problem, so sleep with your wallet and cameras.

• Related to: National/State Park
  • Written December 5, 2005
Tip Photo

Sun rises through a rimside tent

• windsorgirl profile photo windsorgirl
  • Reviews: 753

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mokee Motel, Bluff: Accomodations near Monument Valley

There are several options for overnight accomodations near Monument Valley. The closest is Mitten View Campground, right on the reservation. Across US 163 you can stay at the pricey Goulding's lodge, where John Wayne used to stay while filming in the area. Or, you can stay in Kayenta which is 23 miles to the south, or Mexican Hat which is about the same distance to the north.

We were headed to Moab next, so decided to drive 46 miles to Bluff and spent the night at the Mokee Motel. The Mokee was located right on US 163 and was operated by a very friendly and helpful proprietor.

In retrospect, I would recommend staying in Mexican Hat instead and then returning to Monument Valley again the next morning before continuing north to Moab.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written November 19, 2004

• Pavlik_NL profile photo Pavlik_NL
  • Reviews: 3267

Best place to stay is the...

Best place to stay is the village of Kayenta, though it is pretty far from the Tribal Park itself. Here are several hotels and motels and smaller types of staying-possibilities. Prices are relatively high as for the kind of monopoly-position within Indian Navajo-reservate. This is however equalised by the tax free status.

• Written October 15, 2002
Tip Photo

• smoox profile photo smoox
  • Reviews: 793

Not far from Monument Valley...

Not far from Monument Valley is Goulding´s Lodge. It is absolutely vital to book ahead if you want to spend the night there.
More accommodation can be found in Kayenta and Mexican Hat.
There´s a campground near the visitors center.

Goulding´s Lodge was the place where the film crews stayed when making all those Westerns (director John Ford). The Lodge also has a small museum with pictures of those days.

• Written September 2, 2002

• worldtrekker profile photo worldtrekker
  • Reviews: 666

Mittenview Campground: Mittenview Campground

I think it costs between $10 and $15 per site.

Fantastic view of Monument Valley and the famous Mittenview buttes. Sites available first come-first served. Coin operated hot showers. Being that this campground is at a high view point looking down into the valley, it can get really windy.

• Written August 25, 2002

• worldtrekker profile photo worldtrekker
  • Reviews: 666

Black's Tours.: Black's Tours.

Approximately US $75 for the overnight, dinner, breakfast, entertainment, and approximately 5 hours horseback riding between the 2 days.

Great spot in the middle of the valley at the base of a sacred mesa which was used by medicine men. Bring your tent or sleep under the stars. This outfitter was pretty reliable with entertainment. Pit toilets, no showers or running water. Photo: I found sleeping on a table with a thermarest mattress quite comfortable, Sept. '96.

• Written August 25, 2002