The View Hotel

4 Miles E Highway 163, Monument Valley Tribal Park, Monument Valley, Utah, 84536, United States

Costs 182% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• jokon70's Profile Photo

Excellent!

Just what the Dr. ordered! Wonderful accommodations - comfortable and well furnished rooms, esthetically pleasing, mannerly staff, good enough food (particularly since one can note how far removed this place is from everything) and the PRICELESS view. I had been in MV twice before and felt it was a sacred place, and "needed" to return before I kicked the bucket. Despite the cost of the room, and my being on a very limited budget, I could not have asked for anything more. A meditative and spiritual experience, the sense of being connected to the place overwhelming, to the people living here and visiting, to the desert, colors varying during the day, the quietness, the sunset, moon, stars, and the sunrise. Mittens, (and The View ) I still see you a year later. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Breathtaking Views

We were lucky enough to stay at the View Hotel for one night in June 2010.

Our original hotel for this part of the trip was outside of the Valleyin Page. We prepared ourselves for a three and a half hour trip to the valley from the Grand Canyon and then a two or three hour drive to the hotel in Page.

We changed our plans at the last minute because the View Hotel, which is the only hotel inside the valley, suddenly had some rooms free for the night we wanted. The hotel was fully booked for the months of May, June and July. But as soon as the 30 day cancellation date became due I suppose the tour companies, who had originally block booked, firmed up their room numbers.

This was excellent news for us. So we booked a room for the night. This meant that we could spend more time in the valley and enjoy a sunset and a sunrise, both of which were spectacular.

Unique Quality: Every room has a balcony which has a glorious view of Left and Right Mittens and Merrick Butte.

We took some posh clothes for dinner but the atmosphere is really casual. For dinner we went for the local Navajo dishes of three stews and tacos. This was excellent and the plates covered the whole table. The steaks also looked tasty and on my next visit maybe I'll go for a medium rare "Duke".

Breakfast at the View was ok, although because the fact that that everybody gets up early to enjoy the sunrise, be prepared to queue.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

New 2009 Hotel in Monument Valley

I read in Yaqui’s Review that there is a nice hotel being built on Monument Valley itself which has a great view. Well, it was already open and operational when we got there and it is called appropriately, THE VIEW. Just opened 2009!
    The Visitor Center beside it is still being renovated/built, but everybody visiting Monument Valley seems to be enjoying the view here. I did go first to the Reception Area which has awesome southwestern designs and also Native Indian crafts plus a huge bronze cowboy on a horse statue. I asked the lady at the Reception how much a standard room was and she said $195 plus tax a night, and she was not smiling, looked annoyed, and maybe thought I could not afford it, hehehe…So, I just looked up and said, “Wow”. Forget about asking to see a room with that…lol.
    But according to their brochure, they do have Flat Screen TV, aircondiitoning, a balcony facing the Mittens! (nice!), wireless, ref, microwave, cable TV, coffeemaker. The Mittens include the left thumb, the right thumb and the third monolith Merrick Butte.
    But despite the cold reception, this hotel is awesome. The view at the huge patio at the back was great and tour groups seem to bring their people here and they are all sitting outside, enjoying the awesome views. Then, they do have a nice cafeteria with sandwich choices and soup…hopefully they will have more selection in the future. But the jumpingfamily enjoyed the Haagen-Daas ice cream selection!
    There’s also a huge gift shop with lots of women clothing and jewelry. Also, restrooms are conveniently located in this nice stop.
    I did look for hotel on Expedia in Monument Valley, but this was not there as of yet so I was not able to reserve this. But staying in Kayenta was just as good, besides I did not wake up early to see the sunrise and it was raining anyway the next morning.
    PO Box 360457 Monument Valley Tribal Park, UT 84536
    MonumentValleyView.com
    info@monumentvalleyview.com

Unique Quality: Great Views of Monument Valley

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Beautiful Valley Views

This hotel was still being constructed when we visited, but I can tell for sure it is going to have one of the best views you will ever see from a hotel room. Located adjacent to the Tribal Park Visitors Center and gift shop, it will have a restaturant and a spa.

Directions: From Flagstaff, AZ, take U.S. Highway 89 north, 67 miles to U.S. Highway 160. Continue northeast on Route 160 for 62 miles to Kayenta, AZ. Monument Valley is 22 miles north of Kayenta Arizona, along U.S. Highway 163.

More about The View Hotel

Beautiful Sweeping Views

by Yaqui about The View Hotel

This hotel was still being constructed when we visited, but I can tell for sure it is going to have one of the best views you will ever see from a hotel room. Located adjacent to the Tribal Park Visitors Center and gift shop, it will have a restaurant and a spa.

Our Favorite American Camping View

by AKtravelers about Monument Valley Campground

We have not found a campground in America that has a better view than the campground at Monument Valley. It is set on a plateau that overlooks all that is famous in Monument Valley. Unfortunately, we didn't arrive early enough to get the primo sites -- those on the rim with a tent window view overlooking the valley and the buttes. However, we pitched our tent just a few rows over and were able to see the state of the sunrise from our tent flap and arise in time to take good photos (as you can see from the opening page). To this day, I'm still envious of those who got the campsites on the rim.
The campground has no trees to provide shade or protect against the wind. Because its on an Indian reservation, petty crime can be a problem, so sleep with your wallet and cameras.

Monument Valley under the stars

by goodfish

There is only one campground near the park as I read that the old Mitten View Campground near the Visitor Center was cleared to make space for The View Hotel. So, the only other option close by is the campground at Goulding's Lodge. Facilities include tent and RV sites, and a couple of cabins. It also has trees, sites are supposedly level and the views are excellent. Picnic tables, grills, and a comfort station are provided, as well as 50 amp power, water and cable-tv hookups and wi-fi. There is a playground, indoor pool, laundry facilities, convenience store and shuttle service to-and-from the lodge. This campground is open March 15 to Oct 31. Contact Goulding's Lodge for more information and reservations.

Like its name you can't beat the view into Monument Valley

by TripAdvisor Member njoylyf

We just returned from an overnight trip to Monument Valley and stayed at the new View hotel, located just inside the park. The rooms were large, very nicely furnished, comfortable beds, nice linens and above all clean. Each room faces the park and each room has a balcony. The orientation of the hotel is such that you can see the sun rise and moon rise over the park. The dining room is very nice and looks out into park with an outdoor terrace. The menu is limited and features Navajo entrees. The dining room was well staffed and the food was well prepared. Navajo and Federal law prohibit alcohol beverages from being served. There is a well equipped fitness center. I would say that if you planning to be in the area you can't go wrong staying at The View.

Magnificent

by TripAdvisor Member immeme

The View is what we went there for, and we got it. Beautiful!!! The hotel is probably the cleanest I have ever stayed in. The word spotless comes to mind. The food in the restaurant was great. Loved that we were able to sample Navajo dishes and of course the wonderful "fry bread".
The staff was helpful and very friendly. All in all our stay in Monument Valley at the View was just about perfect.
The View Hotel is a comforting oasis in the middle of a wonderous place.
Thanks for the memories,
Luane & Tom Howard
Portland, Maine

An Excellent Addition To Monument Valley

by TripAdvisor Member TUA61

The View Hotel certainly lives up to its name. Every room comes with a private balcony providing guests with extraordinary views of the "Mittens". And since all the rooms face east, you'll be able to sit and watch the sun rise quietly over the valley floor. So quiet in fact that my brother and I felt compelled to whisper while sitting out on our balcony so as not to disturb any of the other guests. The hotel is brand spanking new so everything is clean and bright. The bathroom was one of the largest I've ever encountered with nice big fluffy towels along with the usual (though higher-end) complimentary toiletries. The rooms are tastefully decorated with traditional Navajo accents and I particularly loved the bedspreads. And speaking of the beds, they were very cozy and comfortable. There's also plenty of extra room for a roll away if need be. The staff was very warm and cordial and all were more than willing to assist us with any need, question or concern. Case in point: We arrived too late for dinner at The View but Goulding's was still open for another few minutes, so our check-in staff phoned the cafe and asked if they wouldn't mind staying open a few extra minutes to serve us. Now that's service! We did manage dinner at the hotel's new restaurant the following night and the service was very capable and the food yummy. They serve their own version of the Navajo taco (which was just as good as Goulding's) and of course, there's that view from your table. The new and improved visitor's center is still under construction but the trading post (adjacent to the restaurant) is open for business. My only complaint is that the rooms could be a bit more sound proof in regards to noise from the hallway. I also wouldn't recommend having any private conversations too near your doorway. My brother said he could hear me (in a normal speaking voice) talking just inside our closed doorway from several steps away out in the hall so word to the wise. Also, be careful about going out on the west sunset view patios without your card key. I got locked out until some nice Japanese tourists were kind enough to let me back in. Not sure why the hotel felt compelled to install card key locks on these patios. Seems a bit unnecessary to me as I'm sure many future guests will end up stuck out as well. Other than these very minor issues, I was very impressed with The View Hotel. Once the word gets out, I have no doubts that they'll be booked solid for the rest of spring & summer.

Great way to enjoy Monument Valley

by TripAdvisor Member SoTi

Monument Valley is incredible and being able to stay in the middle of it is amazing. The hotel is great - the rooms are lovely and spacious, the staff is very friendly and went out of their way to look after us. Highly recommended.

Better hurry the word is getting out.

by TripAdvisor Member CustersDoctor

This hotel is well built and well designed. I worried that maybe they'd cheat a little on the quaility of the hotel knowing that the location is what people are paying for. But this building is solidly built. Have you ever been in a hotel where you could feel the floor vibrate and bounce as you walk down it? Not here. This hotel opened in December and the resturaunt has only been opened a month. You'll be pleased with things besides the excellent view. Oversized towells, comfortable beds with beautiful native american comforters on top make the hotel relaxing and a great value. Every reviewer of this hotel will tell you how spectacular the view is and it IS. Thats what your paying for but you will be getting a good nights sleep as well. I highly recommend this hotel. Stay there soon. It is booking up fast. It was quite full for a hotel during its off season. There were two men at the front desk one was checking people in and the other was answering the phone and taking reservations as fast as he could. My prediction is that this will soon become the kind of hotel where reservations will be needed at least 12 months in advance and as it starts filling up they will be able to charge more for rooms. With tax the nightly cost for our room on the second floor was $155.68 per night.

Each room faces east towards the landmark Mittens. But the hotel designers didn't stop there. There are two sets of outside staircases that lead up to the second and third floors. At the second floor and third floor there are escarpments facing westward towards the sunset. There are about 6 chairs on these porches so you can sit down and watch the sunset. The restaruant has massive windows facing into M.V. as well. The are at least two large group room at the restaraunt for tour groups or other large parties. There is a very large souvenire shop with lots and lots of stuff that isn't to overpriced.

The staff is friendly and is doing a good job. Most seem to be locals and are very proud of this Hotel. One that I talked to extensively was glad for, 'the real job opportunities' that the hotel offered and was really really proud of 'the image' this hotel portrayed. They should be proud of this facility.

I do recommend this hotel but I will share some of its imperfections. The restaraunt has some logistical problems. The first two nights that we were at the hotel ( we stayed there four nights) the restaraunt was out of food! Well, we could have had either a grilled cheese sandwich or a PB&J but what kind of choice is that. The food truck has to travel there from who knows where and if you run out of something then you're just out for a while. We drove three miles to Gouldings for dinner. A tour group that was staying at M.V.V.H also had to go to Gouldings for dinner. Wednesday morning a food truck showed up and about 95% of the menu was then available. The taste of the food was closer to in quality to Denny's or Sizzler. Giving the steak choices names of famous Western stars didn't make them better. The room we stayed in didn't seem to have been used before. The towel rack came right off the wall when I pulled a towell off it. I reported it to the front desk and it was fixed by noon(good response time I thought). The thing I liked the least was the programable thermostat in the room. It had never been set, so I took the tape off the panel and had to figure out how to program it. Spending some of my vacation nap time figuring out how to get the AC setting off of 90 and the heater setting off of 58 was just irritating. The next person who uses that room better be happy with the AC coming on at 73 and the heater at 69. I guess all newer hotels will have programmable stats but its alot harder to use than just turning one dial or pushing an up or down button. Another bummer is that the wireless internet is available only in the lobby. So in the evening the lobby is full of people with their laptops.

Driving the loop in Monument Valley

by JanetLC

How long does is take to drive the 17 mile loop in Monument Valley? Does anyone know the cost of the Jeep tours and how long they take? If a person has two hours to spend there, would they be able to see much?

It took me ten seconds to find this URL

by PR-7

> Does anyone know the cost of the Jeep tours and how long they take?

I imagine these tours would be typical for time and cost:

www.monumentvalley.com/Pages/english_homepage.html

If you do an internet search for the term

"monument valley" tours

you'll find several other choices. One of them is bound to meet your needs.

If you drive your own car on the gravel / dirt road open to anyone paying the entrance fee, plan on spending two to three hours. You won't get as much as you would in a guided tour, but you'll pay less.

Note also that hiking in Monument Valley is ABSOLUTELY forbidden.

by heywinks

bookmark

by Kakapo2

How long it takes to drive the loop totally depends on you - how long you stop at all the suggested buttes and mesas. As you are not allowed to hike you will not spend a lot of time at each stop, so you can easily do it in two hours, especially if you are in a little hurry.

The jeep tour we did was a half day tour, so about 4 hours. It did not only lead to remote areas of MV you are not to go on your own but also included a visit to native Americans and their homes.

by acprincess

I was just looking at the View hotel website - they said there's a hiking trail that leaves from the hotel.

by Kakapo2

Interesting information!

But obviously this trail is 4 miles long, whereas the loop drive is 20 miles, so this is not identical.

Comments