Best Western CottonTree Inn

2230 North University Parkway, Provo, Utah, 84604, United States

More about Provo

view from my windowview from my window

Utah Valley in the Summer

by smitchell00

I am thinking of taking my kids to Utah this summer. I have never been in the summertime so I was kind of wondering what there was to do. We are thinking of visiting the Provo area with my 7 yr old and my 5 yr old. Does anyone have any suggestions?

by Sydvicious

Are you visiting someone in Provo or thats just where you decided to go? I have grown up in SLC and I have always known Provo to just be more of a student town. I think you should take a drive up Provo Canyon go to Sundance and you could go to Mount Tipanogas ( I am not sure if you can do this with your little ones) Park CIty IS always fun to visit even in the summer time. I suggest you get a guide book on hikes they are all over! The Copper Mines on the west side of valley in SL are incredible, I think many people forget about it but its only $5.00 a car and the view is crazy! I think your kids would enjoy seeing all the big trucks. THere is also a theme park in NOrth SL called Lagoon... At Thanksgiving Point which is between SL and PRovo is a Dinasour Museum... my nephews loved it! Gateway Mall in Downtown SL is fun lots of restraunts and shops, they had at one point an aquarium but it may have moved. Also during the summer they have Farmers Market in the Park just across from The Gateway mall on Sat. Also on the Third friday of every month they have a an art gallery stroll for free all around downtown SL... near the gateway as well. Hope that helps I am more than happy to help you with any questions you may have. My biggest suggestion to you if you don't have a specific reason to stay in Provo I would stay IN downTown SL or up in Park City wich is only 30 min up the canyon.

by cholley

I lived in Kanab Utah for seven years. It's 1.5 hours drive from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, Lake Powell/Glen Canyon Dam, and Angel Canyon (slot canyon). Also in the area are the Coral Pink Sandunes, Buckskin Slot Canyon and Grand Staircase. The kids would love the sand dunes, lake, and slot canyons. There are some old western movie sets turned ghost-towns as well.

by Segolily

Since most of the answers listed activities not in Provo I thought I would add these-- all in Utah Valley but two.

1)Monte L Bean life science museum on the campus of BYU http://mlbean.byu.edu
this has lots of fun things to look at and explore, geared in many ways as an educational tool for children, we always took field trips there.

2)Thanksgiving point museum of ancient life http://www.thanksgivingpoint.com/information/ features dinosaurs-big ones, ones you can uncover, etc, haven't been but I've heard it is good. There is also a farm life experience at Thanksgiving point with live farm animals.

5)Seven Peaks water park will be closed however Peaks Ice arena is open year round. This was one of the Olympic sites, so you can say you skated with the best of the amateurs.

6)A drive up Provo canyon will lead to Bridal Veil Falls. Fun to see, though nothing at the moment to do but look. Further on though will be the Heber Creeper http://www.hebervalleyrr.org/ They have theme rides like murder mystery or the polar express. But this is an old steam engine train and it is always fun.

7)Cabela's - outdoor merchandise- has now opened just off of I-15 north of Provo. They say it is an experience just to walk through the store

8)Peppermint Place: they make candy canes and you can watch the whole process and then get your pick of flavors in the store. This is in Alpine north of Provo.

9) rent a bike and ride along the Provo river parkway, a nice shady area made for enjoying the river.

10)If you are into art at all the place to go is the Springville Art Museum. The best of Utah artists

11)If you have the time go out to Cedar Fort west of Provo about 1/2 hour (maybe more-there is alot more traffic than there used to be) and see the Stagecoach Inn Museum and military cemetary. This used to be the road to California and all the stagecoaches came this way.

12) Trafalgar Family Fun center has miniature golf and arcade games.

13)The Indoor track opened recently and has had good reviews.

phone numbers for many of the above are found at http://www.utahvalley.org/index.asp

Travel Tips for Provo

The views around Provo are...

by Beach_dog

The views around Provo are beautiful, it was January and there was frequent snow. Provo is sited between the Wasatch mountains and Bear Lake. The Olympic Hockey matches were being held here two weeks after I left. The rest of the Olympic events were held at Salt Lake and Park Cities to the north of Provo.

Comments