Knights Inn St. George

1140 South Bluff, (formerly Bluffs Inn), St. George, Utah, 84770, United States

More about Saint George

St George from the bluffSt George from the bluff

Kathy and Earl at their wedding (1991)Kathy and Earl at their wedding (1991)

Advice about Grand Canyon ?

by elmoman1

I would like to visit the Grand Canyon from St George but I will only have one day to spend. Having never been to the Grand Canyon before I am hoping that someone could give me some advice about how to use the time.

After looking at maps, I think that I could drive to the Grand Canyon Lodge and then drive back the same day. I assume that there would be a good view at this location.

Please give me any comments or suggestions.

Elmo

by Segolily

It would be at the least a 4 hr drive there, making it an 8 hr round trip drive. Are you sure you want to do that?
If you do then leave before light in St George and plan on getting back after dark so that you can spend some time while you are there.
The Lodge is a very small area, but there is a great view from the lobby. You should take the Bright Angel trail and then either to the right is the Bridle Trail or to the left is the Transept trail. Both are wonderful, easy and quick trails along the rim which would give you a sense of what the canyon is about.
Make sure you find a place to sit where you can watch the light change on the cliffs and see the birds floating on the wind, hear the squirrels and watch for deer.

by elmoman1

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps you could help clear up some confusion. When I checked the route on MSN maps The distance from St George to the Grand Canyon Lodge is shown to be 146 miles with an estimated drive time of 2 hrs and 40 min.. I do not care to drive at night if I can help it. Would you please look at the route and tell me what you think? You can cut and paste - http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=36.692526~-112.810813&style=r&lvl=8&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&rtp=pos.37.1052852272987_-113.569037988782_St%20George%2C%20UT__~pos.36.1972049_-112.0532243_Grand%20Canyon%20Lodge%2C%20AZ__&rtop=0~0~0&encType=1

by Segolily

I use Google maps, I find they are very accurate taking into consideration speed limits and traffic conditions. I recalculated it (had the wrong endpoint) and it did change to about 4 hrs (3h50m). Probably due to the 25mph speed limit in the park. So plan between 3-4 hrs each way.
Now if you go in June when the days are long you might find enough time to have a good enough visit to make it worth while. Each of us has our own priorities as to what matters, I know I spent my only free day in London my first trip there getting out to Stonehenge and back,,,and it was very worth it!!

You definitely need to go to the Lodge area, and spend some time there, but if you have more time then I find the better views are at Point Imperial and Cape Royal...If you rush you might have time for both, but I think it would be better to go slow and just head to Point Imperial after the lodge and enjoy what you see rather than trying to see it all in a day.

by acprincess

It's worth the drive.

by pfsmalo

If you are comfortable driving on trails why not go to Toroweap point. Easily doable in a day from St. George. Just make sure to find out if it has rained or not in the couple of days preceding the drive. I did it in a regular car on BLM-5 via Mt. Trumbull and out again via BLM-109 to Kanab.

Comments