1275 East Red Mountain Circle, Ivins, Utah, 84738, United States

Red Mountain Resort
Booking.com Tingo.com Hotelsclick.com

• Nice retreat after week of hiking

The rooms had just been redone when we were there in summer 2005. The rooms were very modern with the most amazing comfortable beds. Watch out for the bathtubs however, they are extremely high and a bit of a challenge to get in and out of! The spa facilities were undergoing change as well so haven't seen the new ones. However the services (massage, facial) were excellent. The outdoor pool is very sparse and could use some updating as well as having some amenities around it.

Unique Quality: Loved all the hamocks that were around the grounds. Great for relaxing in the shade. Really enjoyed the hikes that were led in nearby Snow Canyon. I also recommend the Astronomy lesson.

Directions: Located on the outskirts of St George

More about Red Mountain Spa

I'm a return visitor to Red Mountain Spa

by TripAdvisor Member hhl

I have been to Red mountain Spa about 6 times over the past 5 years, sometimes with friends or family. On my first visit, I was a bit disappointed. The appearance of the buildings is not very elegant, you are on your own for setting the pace and deciding what services/ exercise regimes are right for you, and I had never been on an aerobic hike before so I didn’t quite get the picture.

However, I always liked the cuisine, which seems to improve near the weekends. First there are lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, and the menu breakdown of nutritional elements (protein/fat/carbs/calories) in each dish is instructional. The cooking classes are fun too with lots of good tips for cutting fats and excess calories while adding flavor.

The Red Rock setting is spectacular, and while I don’t find Red Mountain a thing of architectural beauty I must admit that it is difficult to find much architecturally that does work well in this spectacular setting. Putting that aside, the rooms are comfortable. They keep redecorating the rooms, which doesn’t really add much. The rooms I stay in have 2 comfortable queen beds. That doesn’t leave a lot of extra room, but there is a desk and dresser, walk in closet and adequate bathroom, nice sheets and towels.

The facilities are very nice, the indoor pool is a great lap pool with good temperature, there is a small outside whirlpool bath, and a large outdoor pool. The workout rooms are well equipped for all the classes or personal use, from weight work, cycling, yoga, stretching to nia, etc. The dining rooms, indoor and out are very pleasant, elegant, with nice views and fireplaces, well decorated and the staff is very helpful. I especially like being able to come into the buffet area for drinks at any time. Yes, buffet for breakfast and lunch, menu for dinner with buffet for salad. Wine, sodas and caffeinated coffee are available, yes chocolate for dessert too, so it’s not over the top spa oriented, but healthful options are available.

They also offer lectures on a large variety of things that I have found really great. This is also the opportunity for you to decide whether you’d like a special session in this area of development. They use to have a great weight work guy. My mom, sister and husband all had a private session with him and he was very diligent in providing an individualized work out program and a follow up post spa. They have a new fellow now who I don’t think as highly of but he’s new. So like everything else in life you have to know what you’re looking for in instruction and be able to tell from a lecture whether or not they can help you.

The spa stuff – I have only gone in for massages, but my sister had a great facial. This last visit was a little disappointing for massage. They have had a turn over in staff and seem to be training lots of new people. I think I should have been more precise about what I was looking for when I booked, but on my previous visits I have had great massages. I am picky I admit.

The hikes are the reason for going to Red Mountain. They have 3 levels to suit everyone’s abilities. The guides will speed up or slow down to accommodate individuals within the group. The places you hike are beautiful and would be difficult to find on your own because the ‘trail’ is invisible on rock and sand. Plus I have gotten to enjoy the fast pace and pushing myself on these hikes. I also would not get up and out at 7:30 am for a hike without and appointment. But I come here to get in shape and learn new things.

They also have side trips to hike in Zion and other beautiful places, so if you’re alone or don’t have anyone interested in exploring these types of places with you, this is a great option. Many people come alone and I always meet a variety of really interesting women here. I would guess about 20% of visitors are men who are often trying a stretch class for the first time, so they are pretty brave.

If you’re looking for more pampering and individual attention you might want to try Miraval, but if you’re looking to eat well, explore new ideas, and get in some beautiful morning hikes, this is a good spot.

Snow Canyon State Park

by goingsolo

Snow Canyon State Park is just outside of St. George. Its a great place to go hiking or rock climbing or to spend a few days at the Red Mountain Spa.

There are a variety of trails here, many of which are beginner level. But the small slickrock hills can be quite a workout. If visiting in the summer, its best to time your visit for an early morning or early evening hike, as the climate here is similar to the desert and temperatures reach easily into triple digits.

For more information, feel free to visit my Snow Canyon State Park page.

What's not to love?

My daughter and I just returned from a visit to Red Mountain Spa. We found everything about the place to be delightful. The staff were all very helpful and friendly, activities varied and fun, healthy food delicious, spa services relaxing and professional, and rooms well appointed. I would highly recommend a stay there for active people who want some down time and pampering, too.

A simply, wonderful place

Over 10 years ago, a small group of us started going to Red Mountain Spa. We were intially attracted by their wonderful hiking program and the beautiful surroundings. Over that 10 year time period, we have grown to a group of 20+ and come to love their friendly staff, fun classes and terrific spa services. They also now have fabulous spa cuisine and a really thoughtful approach to healthy eating, i.e. you make choices just like you do in the real world. Whether you're a serious hiker or just a casual walker, a bike rider or a yoga enthusiast, you will find a program that works for you.

As spas go; Red Mountain is a great value.

by TripAdvisor Member MMBINNJ

I organized a group of six on a March visit to Red Mountain and had a great time. Two of us had stayed about 18 months before and returned after the new spa opened. Sagestone Spa fixed many of the shortcomings from our previous trip (no locker room, no steam room, noisy treatment rooms- but still no whirlpool to soak in before treatments). The morning hikes are the same- spectacular. The guides are often retirees who are colorful characters adding much to the hike. The food was the same- be prepared for healthy cuisine (no cookies but lots of trilogy of grain dishes). Breakfast and lunch is buffet- but dinner is portion controlled. Lunch and dinner have a great salad bar and soup station. You will not have vacation constipation! Plus you will not gain weight (unless like us you go offsite to Keyente and get mocha frozen coffee drinks and cookies). One funny pregnant woman from NJ (getting away from husband and job) said she had been sneaking into the dining area to get food, as she was hunger. Honestly, the food is good- do not worry! It gave me pause about the too large quantities us Americans eat!

So what is Red Mountain Spa? Is it a spa or a fitness/wellness retreat? It is not a Canyon Ranch (w/o the price of Canyon Ranch, too). I consider it to be more of a fitness retreat with some spa treatments available. It is not luxurious- but it is very nice. The surroundings are beautiful and tranquil (although much building up is occurring in St. George- too much I thought). I recommend RM as a getaway to "regroup" after a major event- or just a place to "re-center" you. Many (women mostly) go alone- which I think is so cool. Not sure I would do that- but I admire the solo travelers. I read some people complaining about the rate- but remember all food, hikes and exercise classes are included. If you add in 3 meals and a guided hike, you will realize it is a good deal.

Here are my complaints: The tipping thing is absurd. Let’s say you pay $239 a weekday (weekends are more expensive), it does not include tips for the maid, dining room, hiking guides, front desk staff, fitness instructors, and the list went on! (There is even an option to include a baggage charge to our bill but no one ever offered to handle our bags??) I got a long lecture from a spa clinician about how her tips were not included. I had booked a package- and had wanted to give one large tip and have it split amongst the treatments. Cynthia explained how she would then not get it- and it would be split amongst the whole resort. Really? So after each treatment, a slip was given with the total package cost and a line for a tip. It meant you had to quickly calculate that treatment cost versus the package price and tip accordingly. Ugh. I did feel the tipping situation was stressful (in what is supposed to be a stress-relieving place!). They do offer to include a per day $20 tip to our bill- but then in a group of 6 in the dining room they included our tip. Let’s talk about the dining room- they give you a bill with inflated prices that zeros out. I guess you are to then tip on that amount- which would be something like a $48 tip (with us getting our own salads, drinks and soup). OK enough about the tips. Other issues- room could be cleaner. I will leave it at that- just seemed rugs were not vacuumed and bathroom mirror had toothpaste speckles. They charge for some lectures ($55 for a spine strengthening/posture class). Why? Lastly, they should have a cookie tray at lunch (make it nutritious- but I need a cookie every now and again).
I will close with recommendations: if you can be flexible- they offer last minute internet deals on low occupancy weekdays that are around $199/each a night. We flew into Vegas and found renting a car was a lot cheaper than the shuttle (if there are a few of you). We stopped in Oasis (a town before Utah) and bought some wine, etc. for our own happy hours. We did buy wine at dinner (there’s another person to tip BTW). Singles in a room are reasonable (about $50 more). Spa services before 2pm are discounted. I recommend Peggy and Tyler for massages-unbelievable. Bring a waist pack to hold your water bottle. Make sure your room is up a hill for views. Go and have a ball. It is a great place. Jumpstart a fitness program, take stock of your life, learn to eat better, hike every morning and get the 3-massage package!

over rated, over priced and over-joyed to leave!

by TripAdvisor Member Daphne Sterling

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Red Mountain Spa in January of this year. It was recommended to us by a family member who had read a review in the New York Times. Since we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and a major surgery recovery, we felt that this would be a wonderful, healthy way to celebrate and recuperate. It was nothing of the sort!- from the moment we entered the grounds we were disappointed- the close proximity to the main road as well as the construction going on around the area did not feel at all as though we were entering a retreat. The rooms were awful- old apartment building that has been basically revamped, but cannot get away from the extremely low ceilings, claustraphobic feeling and paper-thin walls from room to room. We requested another room, were shown a couple others and then told we could upgarde to the suite for 100 dollars more EACH a night- we took it! As we were not able to get our money back at all, it was decided we would try and make the most of our time there- and try we did! It felt like boot camp, with little time to relax and even when we chose to, at the rate we paid, the room adjoined another suite where we could hear the entire conversation of the occupants with all doors and windows closed! We asked them to keep their voices down, and they were very angry- slamming doors at sucha request. The food was mediocre and not one great idea for healthy choice eating. I will compliment the natural scenery as we took early morning hikes every day and loved them! On taling to the management and sending an e-mail/review after our stay we have not been contacted with any apology or anything! Our advice- stay away!!!!!! And don't always trust reviews from credible sources, especially when the place does not refund if you decide to leave early!

Very happy return guest

by TripAdvisor Member Mtngrl

We were return guests at Red Mountain Spa recently, and were very pleased with the new changes.

Our room was beautiful, and very comfortable. The beds and bedding were so comfy it was hard to pull ourselves out in the mornings to go hike (but we did). The large bathtub was very nice, and the dual vanities made it much easier to each get ready. There was a soft ottoman to sit on, but a comfy chair would have been better.

The new spa was very nice. The relaxation room was truly relaxing. The lounge chairs face out onto the beautiful scenery, and coupled with a warm neck pillow, this is relaxation at its finest. The spa menu is extensive and has something for everyone, including men and teens. We sampled about a dozen of the treatments and they were all very nice.

This stay we opted out of the guided hikes in lieu of going on our own. The resort is close enough to walk to some beautiful hiking trails without needing a car. There is also a short lava loop to walk if one does not want to go for a hike.

There are numerous fitness classes that we enjoyed. We noticed that there were fewer classes during our stay this time, but perhaps that is due to the different time of year of our stays. We still had plenty of classes to enjoy. We were quite impressed with each instructor, as they really knew what they were teaching. Each had their specialty and it showed.

The dining options are nice. Breakfast and lunch are buffet, while dinner is served. A newer feature is that beer and wine are available with dinner (for an additional cost). Each item in the buffets as well as the dinner menu list all the nutritional information. If you are out and will miss a meal, the spa will make a box meal for you to enjoy at your leisure.

The cooking demonstrations are very informative and fun. We have learned so many new tricks, and also have some new recipes to use at home.

We did not see any unkept grounds or towels laying around. The jacuzzi had plenty of towels in the rack each day. Everything was neatly kept and very enjoyable.

The only negative that I can think of, but is out of the spas realm to fix, is that having to fly home out of Las Vegas is not relaxing.

We are already planning yet another trip to Red Mountain!

Some great things, but disappointing for the price

by TripAdvisor Member CarolSLC

Red Mountain could be a fabulous place. But inept or uncaring management is ruining it.

Red Mountain Spa has some wonderful things going for it: Fabulously comfortable beds, stunning scenery, nicely decorated buildings and rooms. The setting is great. You are at the entrance to a gorgeous state park. You can hike or bike right in without ever getting on a road with cars. The spa had excellent mountain bikes for rent at a very reasonable price. I would highly recommend doing this. We heard great things about the morning group hikes but we chose to go hiking on our own and loved it.

The food tries to be very healthy. I could have used a few more indulgent options, but it was inventive with lots of variety and spices. We were generally pleased, although I did crave a soda and candy bar as soon as we left.

What ruined it for us? Lack of attention to detail. For what you pay (over $500 per night for us as a couple), there are many things left undone. Examples: trash cans overflowing and falling over. Full trash sacks, dirty towels, left on sidewalks for days. Construction containers and trash left around to look ugly and blow around the grounds. No towels at the hot tub in the towel holder. A broken clock in the fitness center, so we didn’t know when to leave to be on time for a class we wanted to take. Some magazines in the fitness center would have been a nice touch. Even better would be an employee around to answer questions, hand out towels, etc. Even my local fitness center has that. If I had questions about the machines, there was no one there to answer them.

Someone should be walking the grounds all the time looking for things that are wrong. And spend a little money on the landscaping. Granted, we were there in the winter. But the nice resorts in Arizona manage to have beautiful grounds, in a desert, all year long. In addition to trash, the grounds looked barren and unkempt. At least, they should have nicer landscaping around the guest services building where you check in. Our first impression upon driving up was poor.

On top of that, the customer service experience was extremely lacking. For the money you pay, every guest should be treated as though they were royalty. We were treated better by staff at a $60/night motel in St George. Check-in was unorganized and indifferent. We were given a room and directions to get to it. A nice touch would have been for one of their staff to drive us or meet us in one of their golf carts. When we got there, maintenance was working on the room. Rather than changing quickly to get to a class I wanted to take, we were stuck sitting there waiting on them to finish.

Later that evening, I was taking a shower. My husband was sleeping. A fire alarm started going off. I jumped out of the shower, husband about had a heart attack. I wondered whether to throw on my robe and run out in the cold because the building was on fire. We finally figured out that it was the smoke alarm in the room, apparently set off from the steam in the shower. A few minutes later, guest services called. When we told them what had happened, their reply was “oh, good – just wanted to make sure everything was okay”. Well, no, everything was not okay. We can’t take a shower without the smoke alarm going off. Their reply? “Yes, that happens a lot. Just wanted to make sure everything was okay.” Happens a lot? They should be fixing the problem, and falling over themselves to apologize and make it up to us – not blowing it off. No relaxing hot showers after a hike or workout here.

Service at the restaurant was about non-existent. Our first meal there, we walked in and got no instructions on how meals there worked. It would have been nice to know to go help ourselves to the buffet. Were we supposed to get our own water and other drinks or did someone bring them? There was a hostess seating people at tables. We ended up being sat at a table with another couple. That was not a bad thing. There are a lot of interesting people at the resort and it’s fun to get to know others if you get a chance. But it would have been nice to have been told when we got there that was how it worked.

An example of the lack of appreciation for customers? Our dinner table-mates were there for 5 days. They were return customers. All of the resort information about New Year’s Eve said to wear your “Red Mountain Pajamas” to the party being held for all guests. When they asked about their pajamas, they were told they “didn’t qualify” for pajamas. Apparently they handed them out to some guests but not others. How do repeat customers, who were spending thousands of dollars at the resort on this trip alone, not qualify for a $3 pair of pajama bottoms? And why would they advertise repeatedly to wear your “Red Mountain” pajamas when many who would be attending were not deemed worthy of them? And we didn't qualify either by the way.

The rooms were a standard hotel room configuration with much better than average beds. Also nice flooring and fixtures. Unfortunately, no chair in the room – just the two beds. It would be nice to have a small sitting area.

Overall, if it were half the cost, it would have been fine. But with the cost, things need to be improved. It wouldn’t take a lot. With management who cared or who were up to the task, with better training for the staff, it could be an exceptional place. As far as we could tell, there is little competition in the area for a very nice place to stay. And maybe that’s the problem – management doesn’t think they have to care.

Utah retreat

by DebbieLA

"Sunset at the spa"

After a week of hiking around Utah the Red Mountain Spa was a great way to finish off the week

"Snow Canyon"

The landscape in Snow Canyon was different from what we had seen elsewhere in Utah. Great place to go hiking

Comments