Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport

#8
Rank 8 of 110 hotels
in Salt Lake City
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 review

Beware of vandalism to your vehicle

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed overnight here July 31-August 1 while driving cross-country in a rented moving truck with all our belongings. It struck us as odd that the hotel posted signs indicating it was not responsible for damage to vehicles parked on its premises (where else were guests supposed to park?), so we were careful to park under a light pole less than 20 feet from a hotel entrance. After driving 150 miles into Nevada the next day, we stopped to top off our gas tank only to hear the sound of liquid running onto the ground. It was GAS from a fuel filler line that had been cut all the way through while parked at the hotel by someone attempting to siphon fuel from our tank! This is NOT an assumption; it is the only possible explanation since we had filled up before going to sleep the night before and the stop in Nevada was the first stop we made on August 1. This can also be confirmed by a mechanic named Stan who repaired our vehicle at Roadway Truck Repair in Wells, Nevada. I called the hotel on August 1 as soon as I knew what had happened and was told the manager had left for the day but would call me on Monday, August 4. When I did not receive the promised call, I called the hotel again on August 4 and was told the manager would return my call within 24 hours. Again, no return call. So I e-mailed Hilton’s customer service who told me it was their policy to allow the hotel 3 business days to respond. Again, no contact from the hotel. So I contacted Hilton’s customer service again only to be told, 24 hours later, “The hotel has advised unfortunately, they are not liable for any lost or damage (sic!) items….” The property’s only suggestion? Contact the Salt Lake City police. First of all, I didn’t learn of the damage until I was 150 miles away in another state and, second, the vehicle has since been returned to the truck leasing company. Yes, I know signage was posted; perhaps because the hotel is well aware vandalism occurs to vehicles on their property, but I didn’t know signs absolved a business of responsibility for negligence. And, besides, where can a hotel guest reasonably be expected to park, if not on the hotel’s property? All I asked for was reasonable consideration for the very dangerous situation and hazmat situation that resulted from damage that took place to a Hilton HHonors gold member on their property and all I got was broken promises and a ridiculous suggestion given the situation; pretty poor customer service. Caveat emptor; park here at your own risk!

Nearby Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Salt Lake City Travel Forum

Need advice about Salt Lake City, Utah? Visit the Travel Forum for Salt Lake City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Salt Lake City hotel reviews

Burt's Tiki Lounge
Bambara Restaurant
20,000+
Things to Do
Make time for this treasure!
The Great Salt Lake
Antelope Island State Park
Hogle Zoo
Natural History Museum
Other Mormon sites near Temple Square
Real Tacos
Darn Fine Tamales
Restaurants
A taste of the good old days
Restaurants
Don't forget your cotton candy! :-)
Museum of Ancient Life at Thanksgiving Point
City Creek Center
Great Salt Lake Access Point
Volunteer a day Welfare Square
Things to Do
Many places on VTs list don't exist anymore