423 West 300 South, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84101, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Salt Lake City

Mormon Battalion memorialMormon Battalion memorial

Pizza boxPizza box

down the end of the blockdown the end of the block

Mountains from plane June 2010Mountains from plane June 2010

How is it like there!

by matchbox20

Hi there,
Am planning to visit SLC soon but its gonna be my 1st time ever there, I m so worried about going there especially it's gonna be my first time in the Mormon state!
Been to NY & CA & NV before but never been to Ut before, how is it like over there? what about the people there are they friendly? are they open minded? considering i m a Muslim middle eastern guy will they accept me there, i am afraid i wont be comfort there.
I might be staying there for sometime so i wanna make sure everything is gonna be OK as a start.
what about hanging out and renting flats there are the prices reasonable or like NY?
I m so worried but i wanna go, What do u think about this step?
Please give me some info about salt lake city.
Your reply is highly appreciated
God Bless
Thanks Much

by craic

there are a few pages here on VT - I read a book about Salt lake City etc and got curious - so I read some of the pages - very intriguing - as a muslim guy you will find the *dry* aspect of the city less unusual than I found it

anyway - i hope you get some good answers

and may I suggest you post a question on the misc forum - we are a chatty lot out there and you might get a conversation going that gives you some insight

by craic

vt is misbehaving a bit at the moment - a few glitches - it was taken down for a little while earlier today for maintenance and there are still a few wrinkles

but anyway welcome - and greetings from australia

by Iowa2

You could not ask for more gracious people. Even the homeless are treated with respect there.

One thing though. They are obsessive about perfection and efficiency. Waste is not tolerated.

We were just there for a convention and Salt Lake is easily now, one of our favorite cities.

Like anywhere else in the world, you do need to show a sincere interest in their culture. They will share as much or as little as you are willing to accept.

by Segolily

If your mind is open I'm sure you will be able to enjoy your stay. Not everyone is Mormon, there is a thriving Muslim community, and great interest in middle east history.
Prices for rooms are nowhere near NYC prices.

by craic

fascinating - there is a muslim community in salt lake city? see - I never knew that

by mittens

I don't think you'll need to worry. People here are very nice. The city itself is less conservative than the rest of the state (but still much more conservative than a lot of places). There is not a big Muslim community but you shouldn't expect to be discriminated against. You can probably find the greatest diversity and an active Muslim community at the University of Utah. There are students there of all ages (not just 18-22 year olds) and you can find events, etc. to attend.

The housing prices are pretty good compared to larger cities (SLC is not a large city). You can find a 1 bedroom apartment in the city, near public transportation (trains, buses) for less than $500/month.

some web resources

by mittens

Matchbox,

Here are some links that may help:

The Utah Muslim society:

And Craiglist, where you can see what kind of apartments are for rent and for how much, many with pictures:

Travel Tips for Salt Lake City

Beauty in Abundance

by Jmill42

Utah is one of the most beautiful places I have been... I am a sucker for a wintery mountain scene. Without the lure of a kickin' nightlife or other "big city" type of things, you get the chance to concentrate on the beauty of the nature surrounding you.

I'm adding this here for lack...

by worldtrekker

I'm adding this here for lack of a better spot. When I was here skiing here in '97, I fell on the mountain one day and hurt my back. Once I got back to SLC, I searched for a place to get a massage that wasn't too expensive. That's when I found the Utah College of Massage Therapy. It's really inexpensive because the students are practicing on you! You get an hour, so I got much more than just my back massaged - shoulders, arms, legs, etc. This was my first ever professional massage so I have nothing to compare it to, but it helped my back. The male masseuse did ask if I wanted my glutes massaged which I didn't (how would that help my back? :) ) I know that's part of the training and all, but it would have made me very uncomfortable and tense, which you don't want to be. Anyway, I thought some of you weary travelers would have an interest in this.

Take in all the sights

by Yaqui

The square has some the most beautiful gardens and I enjoyed walking around and taking in the sights. If you love blooms,they have so many to enjoy!

50 E. South Temple
Salt Lake City, Utah 84150

Schedule:
May through September
Church Office Building Plaza
Begins at the southwest lobby
Monday through Friday, 10:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M.
Tuesday and Wednesday, 7:00 P.M. Sunday, 10:15 A.M. at the east gate of Temple Square

Conference Center Roof
Begins inside door 15
Monday through Friday, 10:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M.
Tuesday and Wednesday, 7:00 P.M.

No tours on holidays.
Private tours available upon request: 1-801-240-5916

Garden Talks on different subjects every Wednesday evening through August 2005 beginning at 7:30 for an hour. Location is the Brigham Young Park on the corner of State Street and North Temple. Parking available at the lot on the north side of North Temple at State Street.

Cost:
Admission is free

Cheap Chinese reminiscent of China Town

by cnel355 about Little World

Looks like a dive, but tastes great! I love getting their lunch specials. Ranging from $4.25-$4.95 for soup, entree, and appetizers. It's a small place with quick service. It got a 9.5 out of citysearch, which is extremely good. Everything I've had has been good

Little America Coffee Shop

by dzni about Little America Coffee Shop

No, this isn't some gourmet coffee place, it's just a casual place to grab some dinner or breakfast, or what-have-you. It's the more affordable place to eat in the hotel! ;) Anyway, food was pretty good overall and obviously convenient.

Comments