2455 South State Street, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84115, United States

Satisfaction Average

Costs 32% less but rated 13% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Salt Lake City

Meridian plaqueMeridian plaque

Rail cars in front of the hotelRail cars in front of the hotel

in the rainin the rain

Pictures through the airport windowPictures through the airport window

SLC TO YELLOWSTONE NATL PARK AND RAPID CITY

by Adrianobr

My family and I are planning to go from SLC to Yellowstone park next Jan, driving by I-15N and US-20 reaching West Yellowstone MT entrance. Then our plan is drive to Rapid City, crossing Yellowstone Park and then US-26/18 ecc... According to climate conditions, is it a good route? or I will face many closures?

by zrim

You can't drive through Yellowstone in the winter. Only the northern entrance is open.

by travelgourmet

Adriano, It is true as the first answer states. To see the entire weather information on Yellowstone National Park go to their website:http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

by bocmaxima

This is a terrible time to be driving through that region. You'll want to stay away from the mountains, in general, and stick to the larger roads. But that doesn't guarantee that you won't hit weather and/or be stuck for a little while.

by Dymphna1

The only way through Yellowstone at that time is by snow coach, and you wouldn't catch me dead on one of those. Those buffalo could over take one of those on a moment's notice and are not afraid to charge such things.

by Segolily

While it is true driving through Yellowstone park would not be possible you can still go there and enjoy the park. From West Yellowstone you could take a one day snow trip to Old Faithful. Either snowmobiles or snowcoaches, I've done both and they are both great. Yellowstone in the winter is fantastic and really worth the trip.
Then you'll have to go north on 191 to Bozeman and catch I-90 which will take you right to Rapid City.
If you didn't want to take the snow trip then from Livingston you could head south to Mammoth and drive the upper Yellowstone road which is always open. Going as far as Lamar Valley you would probably be able to see some wolves. Also a great experience. You would have to back track to Livingston to continue on to Rapid City.
That time of year there is always a chance for snow. If it is snowing travel would be slow and dangerous. All of the roads would be plowed but it usually takes about a day after the snow storm ends for them to be all clear again. If the storm is really bad they could close the roads so you would need to plan extra time into your trip in case. If it does not snow during your visit then the roads would be fine.
It wouldn't matter if you went I-80 and skipped Yellowstone the same weather conditions would apply.

by Dymphna1

Snowmobiles are now extremely limited in the park. There was a New Jersey judge that decided they were too loud to be in the park. (I am doing my best at this point not to get on my soapbox, but as a response I would like to re-instate wolves in Central Park, makes as much sense.)

Travel Tips for Salt Lake City

SLC cult classics...

by ruthiebaby88

There are a couple of classic movies filmed about salt lake city and it's people - they are hilarious you must catch them

Orgasmo and

Ruben and Ed

Call Brewvies cinema/pub - if they are running maybe you can watch them in style on one of their couches while eating pizza and drinking beer. monday night at the dead goat saloon!

Be careful drinking

by cadiana88

I've seen some ads warning about drinking in Utah, but people say that these laws were more strict in the past.

However some people say that laws are currently more strict in cities others than Salt Lake City in Utah.

Be careful anyway.

The expert on crap

by caffeine_induced78

My Brother-in-law knows his s@#t. Antelope Island is on the southeastern end of the Great Salt Lake and the only island in the lake that is connected by road. Numerous trails cross Antelope Island, some made by people and some by game. On the North end of the Island, near where the road comes onto the Island is a visitors center, full of information and history about the lake. On the South end of the Island is what is left of a ranch, preserved by the State Park system.

My Brother in law and I were hiking when we decided to check out a closed trail. We checked out some deer tracks and noticed some cat tracks. I know my tracks, my brother-in-law checked out 4 different stools and identifed the animal that produced them. On this island you might see Antelope, Deer, Buffalo and Bobcats.

Entrance onto the Island is 8 dollars per car. This is payable at the pay booth before you drive onto the causeway over the lake.

The causeway can be reached by taking I-15 exit 335 (north of SLC) and following the signs west.

japanese cousine

by zlatiq about Koko Kitchen

The only place i go out to eat. It offers "fast" home-style cooking for both takeout or dining in.
Very friendly sushi chef, great and cheap meals, a menu board with descriptions of all meals ( very helpful for a bulgarian not acquainted with japanese cuisine). Lots of vegetarian and vegan options.

Has a little patio for the warmer months. Miso soup and veggie rolls.

Gotta get my pins!

by GracesTrips about Hard Rock Cafe

There are Hard Rock Cafes all over the world and they seem to all have the same menu. So, eating at a HRC is not always appealing to me. They have great food. But since we're in a different city, we wanted to try some local cuisine. But....I have to go get my pins. I collect HRC pins wherever I go. I only have 1 pin from Denver where I have not traveled to that my boyfriend collected for me. I had to tell him in the future, he is not to do that. It's the idea that I have visited that particular HRC that I have a pin from there.

Comments