1516 Zion Park Boulevard, Utah, 84767, United States
Travelocity Quality Inn Booking.com

More about Zion National Park

Riverwalk, Zion NP (09.18.10)Riverwalk, Zion NP (09.18.10)

Middle Emerald Pools Hiking TrailMiddle Emerald Pools Hiking Trail

Zion CafeZion Cafe

The NarrowsThe Narrows

Zion vs Bryce horse ride

by bshiv999

I'll be visiting Zion and Bryce parks in September and want to take a horse ride. Any recommendations which park would be the best and should I do a 1 hr ride or a 4 hr ride (this will be my 3rd time on a horse). All suggestions appreciated.

Re: Zion vs Bryce horse ride

by Segolily

I would not bother with a ride at Zion's. You would not see anything that you wouldn't see anyway.

The ride at Bryce you need to be sure to get the one that goes into the park (ruby's does other rides which may be nice but they aren't in the park). It sounds like you are looking at Ruby's site.

Try this one: http://www.canyonrides.com/bryce_canyon_rides.html
and go with the half day ride.

Re: Zion vs Bryce horse ride

by pfsmalo

I agree with Segolily, Zion is a nice ride for starters but if you are looking for something better go for Bryce and the descent into the amphitheatre. I must add that if you are a little bit hesitant on a horse, going down and then up is rather steep, so be careful.

Travel Tips for Zion National Park

Las Vegas

by Sharrie

As with all my day trips to the many canyons in the Southwest, I based myself in Las Vegas. Vegas is one of the most fun city to be in in USA. In addition, it's the city with the most things to see & do (day & night) & cheap 5* accommodations (as compared with other cities like San Francisco & L.A.)! Here, you'll be bombarded with a tremendous choice of hotels, restaurants & world-class entertainment (if not the very best)! From Vegas, I signed up on a day excursion to the Zion National Park with Gray Line where the coach will pick me up from the hotel in the morning & commence a day of interesting & awesome discoveries.

Zion has various locations...

by Pavlik_NL

Zion has various locations that you must visit, but do not forget the overlookpoint on the Eastern Exit. Just after driving through a tunnel there is a small parkingplace and a trail starts going up on the other side of the road. The outlookpoint opens a truly breathtaking view over the Zion Valley(s) and the winding road that comes out of the depths that lay beneath your feet. The weeping rocks have a melancholic emotion. Who said that nature can't cry bitter tears.

Zion National Park Tip

by smoox

Coming from Hurricane (west), you see some spectacular mountain scenery, but you do not expect beautiful valleys behind the barrier.- Note the colour of the road surface: It will change once you are within the park boundaries!

Bighorn Sheep and Angels Landing

by UtahTravelers

Go through the mile-long tunnel in your car. Either way you are traveling, you'll want to stop at the east entrance of the main tunnel (park your vehicle), and hike the overlook trail (1/2 mile each direction). This is the best way to see the park, from the top-down without significant effort. Two of the best things to do in Zion are to catch a view of the bighorn sheep that wander on the east side of the tunnel at Zion National Park. You can see a photo of one of them on this site: http://www.dozionnationalpark.com. and I have attached a few pictures of the bighorn sheep.

And we hiked the Angels Landing trail. See a picture from the top in this post.

We also stayed at Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort on the east side of the park and we enjoyed their activities (climbing wall especially). We stayed in a vacation home that was quite deluxe.

gnats a reminder

by richiecdisc

Small gnats flew around my head, a reminder to enjoy what you have when you have it. Just twenty-four hours earlier in the very exact spot, sans the insects, I had sat, sadly looking at the remnants of a burned down forest, wishing our choice of a camping spot had been more lush and vibrant. It's funny what some perspective and a little breeze can do.

Arriving at Zion National Park in Utah just under a week earlier, we had not planned on doing any backpacking. We'd just finished a two night hike into the Grand Canyon and looked forward to some medium length walks in Zion and especially not lugging our backpacks around. But after tackling just about every hike in Zion Valley we had not had enough of the gorgeous valley and looked for more to do to enjoy a bit longer. A two night backpacking trip on the West Rim was too easily arranged and for only $10; it was hard to resist.

The drive to the remote Kolob Terrace area of the park was pretty and if we had wanted to escape the crowds, we couldn't have made a better move. The trail head at Lava Point was not only empty but showed ample signs that winter had just barely ended in that part of Zion. There was lots of ice and we felt guilty leaving our car in the frigid, lonely patch that was to pass for a parking area. We marched off through some sizeable snow drifts through a rural area that looked more like a closed for the season ski resort than a National Park and were soon tramping through mostly forest, wondering who had turned the light switch off on all of Zion's breathtaking red rock scenery. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

Comments