Everything u need to know about Hilton(Burlington)
This hotel sucks!! I know that everyone has an opinion,.. and everyone’s personal experience is a little different,.. and you shouldn’t base your decision on any one person’s opinion or review, but if you want to avoid making the same mistake that I made (and I’m sure many other’s have), then read this and take note. I will do my best to simply give you the facts.
1) First off, ignore the rate’s that are posted on the internet. It’s all a lie! They say prices start at $169, when it’s more like $320 (with tax included). For some, the rates could be more or less.
When I walked in, the desk clerk slid a piece of torn paper across the desk (where he had written down $290), and whispered to me “this is tonight’s rate”. This was obviously so no one waiting behind me in line, could hear him. Why? Perhaps it’s because everyone at the hotel gets a different rate. This may be based on your age, sex, race, or even how your dressed. If your dressed nice, and look like you can afford more, then they can (and will) charge you more. Its all negotiable. Nothing is set in stone. If it was, then why wouldn’t the hotel just post the rates on a sign for everyone to see? I’m not sure how hotels get away with it (legally), but they do, and this hotel is no exception. The worse part is, the idiots that jack the rates up, often don’t even make a commission. They just do it to keep their bosses happy, so they can hold onto their $8 an hour jobs.
Hotels even have the power to place whoever they want, wherever they want, on any floor they want, in any room they want, just based on how a person may look.
2) If you want a view of Lake Champlain here, your going to have to pay extra for it. I did, however I was given a room on the 2nd floor, so unfortunately the only view I got was of a tree. If you really want a view, get something on one of the upper floors.
3) Don’t expect a free breakfast (even though it’s located in a State that is loaded with quaint bed and breakfast hotels, that will charge you half of what this hotel will).
4) Parking is NOT free. It’s $10 dollars. Unless of course, you are NOT a guest. Then you only have to pay $8 (for whatever sense that makes).
5) The hotel advertises high speed internet. This however, is also NOT free. It’s $12.95
6) The rooms have no fridge. They provide you with a bowl. You must fetch your own ice
7) Remember this. The money you spend here doesn’t buy class or hospitality. Actually, it doesn’t buy anything.. except for a bed.
I could also tell you that 8) the service was bad, 9) the rooms where dirty, & 10) small, but I’m sure opinions vary in those departments. I am simply trying to state the facts.
In my personal opinion, I found nothing good about this hotel. The best feature is its location, which is probably why they get away with charging so much. If you want a hotel downtown Burlington, you only have 2 choices. You have the Hilton, or the Marriott (which is next store). Both, ironically charge about the same rate.
Bottom line, if your a yuppie or some other idiot that enjoys spending 6 or 7 times the amount that something is worth, then your going to love this place! However, if you actually work for a living, and value your dollar, I strongly suggest looking elsewhere.
If your looking for a place to crash, and don’t want to overspend, and enjoy getting straight forward answers (with no hidden fees) try going just a mile or two outside of Burlington. On US-7, South Burlington, you can find decent hotels there for around $80 a night (and yes, even on weekends).
Lastly, don’t believe any hotel managers who say there looking into reported matters and will try to fix them. Nothing will change. Making money is there only real concern.