195 Mountain Top Rd, Chittenden, VT 05737
The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Mountain Top Inn

Started great, ended terribly.

by TripAdvisor Member Anon18964

Wanted to stay there with the purpose of checking out MTI&R for a wedding, as we were coming from Denver & driving throughout Vermont on a scoping/planning trip, seeing various Inns along the way. My fiancee called to set it up, and Kyle (the Inn's wedding coordinator) offered the High Meadow suite to us for a significantly reduced rate - we were very impressed by that.

When we walked in, we said "We're here to check in, and we have a meeting with Kyle at 9AM tomorrow". The response from the man checking us in was "Yes, I believe you do." ... but we realized later that the man was indeed Kyle himself. Seemed odd that he didn't introduce himself to us when we mentioned the meeting, but whatever.

Anyway, we go up to the room, and we're blown away. Walk around the grounds, see the lake - all gorgeous. Everybody seems incredibly nice (with the exception noted above), & the place immediately jumps to the top of our list of 8 places we're looking at - we think we've ended our search.

9AM rolls around the next day ... and no Kyle. His cell phone is tried - no answer. By 9:30, we leave to make other appointments ... and to this day (it's been almost a week now), we've heard nothing from him AT ALL. No call, no email, nothing. My fiancee was crushed (to the point of tears), because she had fallen in love with the place, but realized there was no way she could place trust in a coordinator who not only never showed, but didn't even care enough to follow up afterward. How could we trust that any wedding arrangements would happen correctly (if at all), especially when we're 1500 miles away?

Frankly, I'd love to see a mgmt response on this. I just don't understand how this can be allowed to happen in a place that is supposed to be known as a premier wedding location.

I am giving this review a second star, solely based on the sheer beauty of the location - but other than that, our visit was extremely disappointing. I cannot recommend MTI&R as a place to have your wedding, unless you have your own coordinator.

Amazing Experience for Our Wedding

by TripAdvisor Member easterbooks

We had our wedding here, May 6, 2006, and it was the most amazing experience. When we visited the hotel in December of 2005, we both fell in love with it and knew it would be perfect. It was quaint and very much a "Vermont Inn", but elegant at the same time. Our wedding ened up being more than perfect. Chelsea Howe and her staff took care of every single detail. The rooms were amazing, the food was excellent and the service was better than any hotel I have stayed at. We cancelled our honeymoon nights at the Four Seasons in Boston to stay at The Mountain Top instead. They did have some renovations happening, but we barely even noticed them as we went about our perfectly planned weekend. The views are breathtaking and there are so many activities, it would be difficult to not have fun here. I would not have changed a thing about our wedding.
Since our wedding, almost ever guest has commented that it was the most fun wedding they had ever been to. They were amazed at the service they received and can not wait to go back. As for me, I have been trying to find a reason to throw another party there! Even the cost was more than reasonable for an event like this. I will definitely be back for my one year anniversary...and probably sooner than that!
PS- If nothing else, go there for the "vermont breakfast"...it's unbelievable.

Beautiful mountain views, and accomodating staff

by TripAdvisor Member queencrowell

Just returned from a relaxing family getaway. We stayed in one of the houses on grounds. The house was just beautiful, stocked with everything we could think to need, and complete with a 4 person hot tub on the deck. We traveled with two small children and found the staff in the inn and on grounds to be very accomodating to our needs. Wonderful trip, and definitely planning to book next year for twice as long!!

Fabulous Vacation at Mountain Top Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Maggie8667

This is our second time staying at the Mountain Top Inn. The first time was over Thanksgiving, 2005. The staff was amazing and gracious and the food we found to be outstanding. This was the best experience my husband and I have ever encountered. Mountain Top Inn was very clean and everyone was very friendly. My husband and I enjoyed our stay so much at Thanksgiving that we went back over the 4th of July, 2006 and experienced the same amazing staff who could not do enough for you and the atmosphere was everything you would want in the country. I would certainly recommend The Mountain Top Inn to all my friends and business associates. Ellen Kyto, who works at the Mountain Top Inn, is an amazing woman. She genuinely cares about the people and represents The Mountain Top Inn in such a high fashion that you can't help but want to go back and enjoy it all over again. I certainly would recommend The Mountain Top Inn. Thank you to the staff and to Ellen for making our stay at The Mountain Top Inn a most enjoyable and memorable time.

Wonderful Wedding Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member Babs45_2000

We got married at the Mountain Top Inn in January of 2006. It was a destination wedding. None of our family or friends is from the Vermont area (or even close to Vermont) including both of us. We are actually from the Philadelphia area and so are our families and friends. We thought that planning and organizing the details of the wedding would be very difficult but that is contrary to what occurred. Starting with our arrival on our very 1st visit to view the inn as a potential wedding site, Chelsea (the wedding coordinator) made us feel so at ease and relaxed. We always felt like things were in good hands and never felt anxious about planning the details of our rehearsal dinner or our wedding day. She truly was a great asset to us and our guests. Her professionalism and attention to detail was superb. She was always on top of every aspect and that was such a comfort especially planning it from such a far distance.

I am also grateful to Jay and his staff for the incredible job he did planning our Tour of Italy wine paired rehearsal dinner. The food was fantastic and the wines selected for each gourmet Italian course were perfect. Our family and bridal party enjoyed that night so much that we have received several requests for the wines and also the specific menu items that were served. Everyone couldn’t believe the quality of food that kept coming out (there were a total of 7 courses served including dessert). I would rate it 5 stars compared to other fine dining establishments. I highly recommend that type of rehearsal dinner to anyone planning a wedding there. It was excellent and provided a very unique type of celebration for a rehearsal dinner. It definitely helped to take the pressure off of us after the rehearsal and made the focus of the remainder of the evening more about the food, family, and friends.

Our wedding day was no less spectacular. The presentation of the food and service was impeccable. It resembled more of an upscale big city restaurant than a wedding at an Inn. Our guests were very impressed with the level of service and professionalism by the staff too. No one ever had to ask for a refill of wine, water, or other things during the reception. Every server helped to make our guests feel pampered and special.

We had a large crowd of guests that stayed at the Inn and in the surrounding Chalets. An added benefit is that some of the chalets were pet friendly which allowed more of our family to make the commitment to travel that extra distance with their beloved pets. Most of our guests stayed for an extended weekend while others hung around with us much longer after the wedding to enjoy some skiing and activities provided at the lodge. Our guests felt very comfortable and we continue to hear about what a great time everyone had.

In short it was a great experience. We don’t have any negative experiences to report, unless you count the behavior of some of our guests during the wedding and rehearsal dinner but that had absolutely nothing to do with the inn, staff at the inn, or the service we received. That was mostly the result of the open bar and some bad behavior. I have to reiterate that the staff, in particular, was great. Even when some of our friends were a bit on the naughty side, they handled them with the utmost respect (more then some of them actually even deserved considering how they were acting).

As far as the excessive prices go it’s a case of you get what you pay for. It is not a cheap place. The quality of the lodging, food, wine, etc… is very high so we expected to pay a little more then most places. We did not experience any over charges that were unanticipated. If anything the cost was a bit less for our rehearsal dinner which was a pleasant surprise. We wanted something that would be memorable not only for us but also for our guests and that’s exactly what we received. So for us the overall value was more than worth the price.

Even though the weather wasn’t exactly the winter wedding we dreamed of, the overcast backdrop of the mountains provided the most breath-taking pictures. We couldn’t have found a better environment for pictures, rehearsal dinner, and wedding day. It honestly was the perfect wedding and vacation for both of us and many of our guests. We couldn’t have planned it any better. We are very happy with the results. And so were our guests. We didn’t hear any negative comments from anyone and our families aren’t shy when it comes to complaints.

We were surprised by so many negative comments on this site and felt a response from us was absolutely needed. The bottom line is that we always had a great time at the Mountain Top Inn. We had visited so many times during the planning of the wedding and every time we were very pleased with our stay. We are looking forward to the chance to visit it again. We envision bringing our family regularly to the Mountain Top for many more memories to come.

Fairytale wedding!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member THoule

First and Foremost, I must say that the negative reviews that i have read have truly disheartened me. This is by far one of the most beautiful resort properties that I have seen in New England and i could not have dreamed up a more perfect place for our wedding celebration!!! I cannot even imagine the staff members acting as some reviews said...i got to know them on a personal level and it is just not in their nature to be rude!

I will begin by saying that my review is long overdue. My husband and I had a fabulous destination wedding at the inn in October 2005. Everything was so perfect, I am not even sure as to where to begin my praises...

When we began our search, we had one description for exactly what we were looking for…RUSTIC ELEGANCE!!! We went in high search to find the perfect location, from Colorado to Wyoming, and other western locales. Little did we know that exactly what we were dreaming up was right in our own New England backyard.

WEDDING COORDINATOR: I must say that the year of planning was far from stressful. Chelsea was absolutely amazing; the most organized and calm person that I have ever met. The perfect type of person you want planning and organizing the biggest day of your life. There was no detail overlooked, and no question was too small when it came to our wedding. I received immediate email responses when i had any concerns. Even when our cake was delivered (from an outside vendor) and looked horrible...Chelsea came to the rescue and made it very presentable for the big day! She was such a huge help that after our wedding was over, i had tears in my eyes because i was going to miss her.

FOOD: My family is still raving about the food, almost a year later. Chef Casey is comparable to some of the gourmet chefs that we have experienced in CA's wine country. Every piece of food perfectly paired with a complementary wine. Jay has an excellent knowledge base on various vintages and pairings as well. The Vermont breakfast is to die for...i can guarantee you have never had eggs benedict like these...the hollandaise sauce is just plain dreamy!!

LODGING: The lodge rooms are elegantly decorated with an abundance of charming rustic touches. The views are truly out of this world. My husband and i do an extensive amount of traveling for work and this resort can be easily compared to many of the 6 star properties that we have visited. Yes, it may be a little pricier that the motel 6...but how can that even be compared??? I agree with the last reviewer who said...you get what you pay for.

Please read on for a glimpse of our MAGICAL WEEKEND:

Friday night was the rehearsal, with dinner in the tavern and a lakeside bonfire to follow with live music. The food was excellent and of course the wait staff was unobtrusively attentive to all of our needs. All of the little touches did not go unnoticed.

Saturday was the big day. It was a chilly start with rain predicted for our outdoor ceremony in the afternoon. A bride’s dream come true…rain! In the morning, the guys went shooting at the range and the girls went horseback riding up the mountain. The activities were organized extremely well and the staff excellent.
I felt very comfortable with the experience level of the guides on the trails, says alot given that it was my wedding day and that i didn't want a broken leg.

Chelsea had all the backup arrangements pre-planned of course in the event of rain. I remember when the carriage pulled up at the entrance to take us to the knoll…it was much colder than it had been earlier in the day. As we approached the knoll, it appeared as though we had frozen precipitation. Yes, it was cold…but so magical. How the temperature dropped and the rain turned to snow, once again convincing me of the magic that is present at this inn. The wedding was chilly, but an event to remember. The carriage ride after with Mike was amazing. He made us feel like we were royalty as we drove down the country road enjoying each other and the beautiful foliage that remained. The reception was phenomenal, once again I cannot say enough about the wait staff: Jeff, Jody, and Tom did a first class job.

Jeff’s charisma and personality were top-shelf. He did an excellent job at managing the staff and our guests. My family can tend to be abit on the particular side as well. No detail was overlooked and the staff appeared as though they were having a good time with our group, which was very important to us. Chelsea, Jay, and Jeff did an exceptional job organizing the event. They truly made us feel like we were the only guests at the inn!

Tom and I are avid outdoor enthusiasts and could truly appreciate the touches of nature that no staff member could control, not even Chelsea (ha-ha), who provided me with regular weather updates.

Our family and friends were amazed at the care and attention that was paid to them during their stay. We will for years hear compliments coming from our guests about their weekend at the Mountain Top Inn. Once again, the smallest details were not overlooked; they were noted by many.

The inn is truly a magical and special place for Tom and I, not only because we recently married there but also because of all the friends we made there over the past year while planning our wedding. When we enter the lobby now, we feel like part of the family. A family is truly the best way to describe the staff. We genuinely appreciate all of the efforts that were gone to, to make us feel at home.

Our Warmest Thanks,
Thomas and Tracey Houle

Best of Vermont for R&R, Activities, Food and Views

by TripAdvisor Member Amy_VT

Count me in with the long list of satisfied people who've had dream-come-true weddings at Mountain Top in recent years, but I'm also an avid TripAdvisor reader and a seasoned traveler, so my comments will be based not only on our experience as bride and groom but also as guests of this Inn and dining room on more than a few occasions.

Our October 05 wedding was nothing short of amazing, and our friends and family are still talking about what a wonderful weekend they had in the splendor of a late Chittenden fall in that gorgeous setting by the reservoir. The Mountain Top Inn provides an ideal combination of opportunities for being active--or for just simply relaxing--in all seasons. We loved knowing that our most outgoing guests could find plenty to do, like hiking in the woods, going horseback riding or clay-pigeon shooting or exploring the charm of nearby towns like Pittsford and Brandon. At the same time, we knew that people who just wanted to unwind would be happy strolling down by the water, enjoying a massage or just curling up with a book by the fireplace. As wonderful as the resort is in summer and fall, we'd been tempted to hold out for a winter wedding just so our guests could enjoy the wonderful cross-country ski trails, sleigh rides, and winter wonderland ambience. As it turned out, we had the best of both worlds in late October, with late foliage remaining on the trees and a dusting of snow dappling the ground. Whether you're planning a wedding or just wanting to get away and enjoy the beauty of Vermont's mountainous landscape, I can't imagine a more splendid backdrop.

My husband and I were so enamored of the setting, the luxurious-but-not-stuffy accommodations, the friendly staff and the tremendous food that we couldn't wait until our first anniversary to go back for a visit. We celebrated our 6-month anniversary with an overnight getaway at the Inn. We both agreed that as magical as it was to celebrate our wedding weekend with dozens of friends and family, we enjoyed almost more getting to visit as regular guests on our own. The Inn staff treated us like family, going out of their way to make us feel welcome and pampered. Considering we had a small wedding that by no means was in the category of some of their biggest profit-making events, we particularly appreciated the genuinely warm treatment.

Though Rutland and Killington are but a short drive away, with abundant dining and entertainment opportunities, you won't find a better meal than right there at the resort. The Inn's membership in the Vermont Fresh Network is evident in the seasonally-inspired menu featuring the best local produce and meats of the region. A favorite of ours is a wonderful salad they have with goat cheese in pastry over mesclun greens. The filet is always outstanding, and the chef has a wonderful hand with fish and other seafood. If sea bass is on the menu, don't hesitate to order it. Breakfast, too, is incredible, with an impressive buffet of hot and cold items. Their eggs benedict is outstanding, and the Applewood Smoked Bacon is downright addictive! Oh, and the wine list is impressive. There are always interesting and inspired wines by the glass, and the Dining Manager Jay will be happy to talk with you at length about the selections.

Mountain Top Inn combines the best of Vermont charm with an ability to delight discerning travelers. You'd have a hard time finding a New England resort with a better combination of surroundings, activities, food and amenities.

CAMPING WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER

by TripAdvisor Member jinkys

We stayed at this place just this summer. I really wish we would have taken the reviews that we read to heart. Here is our story.

We booked the suite with the ONLY balcony. The cost was about 380 a night. When we got there we checked in and got the key. We were not escorted to the room or given any info about the place. We then went to look at the room. I came back down to get some of the luggage while my husband freshened up from the drive. I came back in carrying 3 large bags. I walked by 3 staff members and no one offer to help in the least bit. Not even to hold the door.

After unpacking we decided to see what activities were available at that time. E VERYTHING had a price tag on it. Even the boat ride around the lake. I totally understand the horseback riding but the canoe and skeetshooting?? And these were not cheap. 20 per person to ride on a pontoon.

The pool was very small...my apartment has a bigger pool.

The food was close to Applebee's and twice as expensive. 11 dollars for a burger and that was at the bar.

They had no pineapple juice, no canned or bottled soda except for odd ones. No room service.

We went to go to the pool and noticed there were no towels yet so we asked at the front desk and the young girl expected us to know that they were kept in the hall closet.

I stopped at the desk to ask for something and the person was on the phone. Two employees went by and no one offered to ask what I needed. I had to wait 10 + minutes for the person.

I do not recommend this hotel. Yes the view is great. But the price tag was not worth it. I really feel that this resort only cares about booking weddings and does not even remotely care about the 2 day person. We would have loved to find a place to come every year. Obviously this is not it.

The ultimate Vermnt experience

by TripAdvisor Member johnbj

Our family spent 7 days at the Mountain Top Inn over the July 4th holdiay. It was truly a great vacation for all.

The grandaughters had riding lessons and trailrides each day. The instructors were knowledgeable, practiced safety and gave the girls, ages 10 and 12, confidence and skill. The thing that impressed us is that the instructors and staff seemed aware that they would influence the girls love for equestrian training and they worked very hard to give them a positive experience. It was a week that the girls will not ever forget.

We had a beautiful and recently redone cabin with a wonderful kitchen and many amenities; however we did have to change rooms to make way for a wedding party for the last evening and found the second cabin to be less attractive although it was certainly acceptable.

Since it was 4th of July week, the Inn offered barbeques and we were fortunate enough to be there on July 6th when the Inn hosted the Vermont Symphony Orchestra in the meadow. A delightful evening of good food, and patriotic music was followed by spectacular fireworks. The Vermont Symphony is very good. If you get an opportunity to see them - DO SO!

We feel that you must truly search your soul for the kind of vacation your family wants. Our goal is to get away from the malls, traffic and thrill a minute living. We look for calm, peace, waking to birds in the morning, quiet walks and a view to bring tears of joy to your eyes. This is the Mountain Top Inn.

On one rainy day, we found ourselves in the lodge with other guests putting together puzzles, and playing games. There were plenty of things to do, however -its your choice - you did not feel compelled to do anything. We did hear one or two negative comments about the lack of computer service in rooms and organized activities, but we were on vacation to get away from computers, chaos and over organization of our lives.

We found the meals to be no more costly than other places we have stayed in Vermont - certainly less than the Equinox, the Woodstock Inn and some Killington restaurants. The wait staff was just as attentive to us at breakfast(included) than they were at dinners. Breakfast held good choices for every taste and diet restriction each morning and if there was something you wanted that wasn't out, they would get it for you in a jiffy. We have friends who live in the Rutland/Chittenden area and every single one said that they look forward to going to the Mountain Top for special event meals ie. birthdays and anniversarys. Vermonters are pretty particular about spending their money. Enough said.

The landscaping was lovely, the stables were clean, the horses well kept and beautiful, the lodge was typically Vermont, the staff was kind and attentive, the first cabin was way above average, the cabin was serviced daily and kept immaculate, the food was good, the activities were there for the asking; including canoeing on the lake, tennis, kids were in the very clean pool almost daily, the view was breathtaking. We all came away feeling rested and at peace, and very sad to leave.

Our comment would be to honestly discuss your travel expectations with your family and make sure that you are all in accord before you spend your travel dollars. The Mountain Top Inn is one of the best choices we have ever made, however, we were looking for an overall sense of tranquility in a quiet but upscale setting. It's very worth it to pay a little more for first class.

If you go you must meet Ellen at the front office. She was attentive to our every need even finding me a pie plate from the Inn's chef when I decided to make a home made apple pie in my lovely kitchen.

We'll be back very soon!

The idyllic summer vacation

by TripAdvisor Member dallasheat

What a perfect summer vacation! We stayed in one of the newly renovated cabins with our kids and dog (such a bonus to have our family pet with us!). Everything you think a summer cabin would be on beautiful grounds. There's something for everybody - horseback riding, kayaking/canoing and beach actvities, fishing, pool, tennis, shuffleboard, clay bird shooting. Dinner outside on the terrace in the evenings is a treat! Such a view! We loved BBQ Wednesday outside with a folk guitartist. Try to catch the jazz on the terrace on Thursdays, too! Guided trail rides are available with a picnic option - go for it - the incredible view comes with it! We'll be back next year.

Comments