4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Orbitz.com EssexResortAndSpa Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Poor fixtures and Walmart furniture

The staff are great. However , at a rate of 400 per night I expect better room furnishings. The couch I am sitting on as I write this feels like it was made from melted plastic. Very cheap fixtures and severely over priced dining options... the food here is fine, but it's certainly not worth the 14 bucks they ask you to pay for a stack of pancakes. Tourist destination prices at their worst. :(

More about Inn At Essex

Great Anniversary Weekend Getaway!

I can't say enough about our experiences at the Inn at Essex! I stumbled upon the Inn at Essex during a business seminar last summer in the Burlington area. My company had booked a private room for dinner at the Butler's restaurant. Two words: Wow! Wow! That was enough for me to book this September for my 10th anniversary weekend with my wife.

My experience making reservations was great. Every question I asked was answered with such detail and knowledge of the surrounding area. They even thought of mentioning activities I didn't even know Burlington offered (and I live just an hour from the city!). I mentioned it was my anniversary once during the phone conversation. Imagine my surprise when we arrived to find a bottle of sparkling wine chilled in our room! We stayed in a Country Inn room (their basic room) and found it quite roomy and beautifully decorated.

The staff was very helpful and professional, and really showed us that they cared about ensuring we had a memorable anniversary. They even greeted us by name when they saw us!

If I had one critique, I would say guest rooms should have 4 towels in them upon arrival instead of only 2. My wife alone uses 2. I placed one quick phone call to the front desk to have more delivered and within 5 minutes there was a knock on the door with our towels.

Keep up the good work! We will definitely be back for our 11th!

It was fun!

My stay at the Inn at Essex was nothing less than charming. Like Vermont, the Inn at Essex offers a cozy and quaint sophistication. Staying here was like drinking hot cocoa and nibbling freshly baked homemade cookies at grandma's house.

The room we stayed in was adorable, comfy and exceptionally clean. I would highly recommend staying here and will undoubtedly come back myself should I find myself visiting the area again.

If you're uptight and demanding, I wouldn't recomend it since they may occassionaly forget to renew your towels or something like that. But who cares really, one call to the front desk takes care of that anyway.

If you're laid back and appreciate charm over policy then you'll love it. Oh, they also have pet friendly rooms for anyone who's interested. We were going to bring our cat, Baby, but decided against it since he was under the weather and doesn't like traveling.

Forget it

Our stay here began with confusion at check-in. The type of room we originally booked was unavailable, and then we were given keys to a room we found already occupied. After some delay we were given a room, and upon unpacking found that the room had not yet been cleaned or re-stocked.

Dinner in the Tavern was acceptable, but nothing grand.

Breakfast the following morning was slow and the waiter uninspired.

Excellent restaurant, average room and hotel

by TripAdvisor Member cbuie

The Inn at Essex was just ok. The room smelled of smoke even though we had a nonsmoking room. There was a small hole in one of the walls in our bathroom. Other than that, the room was just fine and decorated very cute. Also, it is a hotel, not an "inn". If you're looking for a quaint New England B&B, this isn't it. It's a hotel (and there's no breakfast included). I arrived expecting an "inn", so if you keep in mind that it's not, you won't be disappointed. The best thing is the restaurant. We had an excellent meal there with excellent service. I'm not familiar with Burlington, so there may be nicer places to stay. If so, you might want to consider checking into those places. If not, the Inn at Essex is just fine. But you must eat at the restaurant while in Burlington!

Not your best choice

This is one of only two (that I know of) places to stay in Essex Junction. This one, though billed as an Inn, is really a quite large hotel. We were not impressed with our room, the hotel in general, or the restaurants. Your money will be more wisely spent elsewhere.

Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Gittith

I just returned from a really lovely stay at the Inn. I've been trying to figure why the reviews have been all over the place. I found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was efficient and helpful. We had two great meals. The food was very good and the wait staff was attentive and fast. There is definately a laid back atmosphere there but short of a wait to be seated for breakfast, there wasn't a problem.
If one keeps in mind that it's a large hotel across the highway from the outlet stores not a quaint B and B in the mountains there will be less dissapointment. Think of it as a Marriot with nice perks such as: cookies and cider by the fire in the lobby, cheerfully decorated rooms, and interesting "foodie" events at the culinary school.

Not bad but not great either

by TripAdvisor Member impudence

Before booking I had read many reviews on here regarding this "inn". The reviews were all over the place, and I assumed that the bad reviews were from people being overly picky. However I found the exact same issues they complained of during my visit. First of all this is not an inn - it is actually a rather large hotel. Second, while I found my room to be comfortable and well decorated it was nevertheless not nearly as clean as a hotel in this price range should be. My main two problems were that there were a number of stains on the bed spread of unknown origin, and that the grout in the shower was disgusting! A 4 diamond hotel, with prices in the $200 per night range should not have these problems. I also had a problem with the in room movie service, I paused in the last ten minutes of my movie and was unable to finish watching. The front desk claimed that their policy is that there are no refunds after viewing 30 minutes of the movie. This seems to be a silly policy when their service did not work as advertised.

Aditionally I was unimpressed by the restuarant at the hotel. The food was perfectly fine and in fact quite good. Yet, when I go to a restaurant of this price and caliber I expect better. It was just good not great. Also the service was oddly slow considering the number of customers.

All in all a perfectly ok hotel just not up to expectations for a 4 diamond hotel in this price range. I would probably not stay here again considering the price.

A MOST ENJOYABLE STAY

by TripAdvisor Member Wander-Winner

After checking out many of the reviews, I'm glad to say that our experience at the Inn at Essex was totally positive.
I can't agree with one writer "to think of it as a Marriott." Although it is not an "Olde" inn, nor a quaint B&B, the way it is broken up into three buildings gives it an intimacy that a large hotel never achieves.
Our room was very clean, and made up each day by the friendliest Bosnian housekeepers. There were plenty of pristine towels and terry robes; a Jacuzzi tub and good showers; a well-equipped kitchenette; and best of all, as we were there during a cold snap, the cozy gas fireplace, rocking chair and wool throw.
We had one dinner at the pricier Butler's and had a fine meal, including the best cheese souffle ever. Sunday brunch was outstanding, not only in its culinary offerings, but in value.
The staff was unbelievably friendly and helpful, having little printed cards with directions for most any destination one needed (Stowe, Burlington,etc.)
All in all, I can recommend this Inn as a place to relax, to feel pampered, to thoroughly enjoy oneself.

What a waste. Beware.

We recently spent a weekend at the Inn and were very disappointed with the experience.  The Inn really failed to meet our expectations - expectations framed by the Inn's marketing and the room rate.

All reviews are subjective; however, it is clear that the price of your lodging is an objective measure to judge the quality of a particular establishment - you would not expect the same level of service or amenities for a $70 room as a $300 dollar suite.

Hardly the country Inn I expected. It's right off the highway with close proximity to a golf course and an outlet mall.  Most of the shops were not 'premium' and some storefronts were shuttered.

As we pulled into the Inn's driveway, I noticed the grounds were not landscaped and there were deep tire marks in the paths surrounding the property. On closer inspection I noticed the roof was in disrepair with missing shingles and no signs of efforts to repair.

There was no doorman on duty and instead a rack of tourist brochures greeted us.  I was starting to have a bad feeling, but I was hoping the room would melt away some of my misgivings.

Check in was another let down. The receptionist could not locate the reservation by name, instead she asked for a confirmation number. I travel frequently, and I recall having to present my confirmation number only a few times. After returning from my car with confirmation in hand, the receptionist realized she was searching my first name and not my last name (not sure why this should have made a difference).

Next she discussed the restaurants, and how unfortunately the Easter brunch was totally booked up. We had not even asked about the brunch - just a little marketing note here, tell me what you can do, not what you can't do (especially when not even asked). The front desk experience ended with a discussion about the resort fee. I noticed a small amount had been tacked onto the confirmed reservation. She said this was a $5 dollar resort fee to cover 'things like the shuttle bus, coffee, and Internet access'. All these amenities were advertised as free services. When confronted, she removed the charges. (More and more hotels are adding these fees. IMHO, if the resort needs to cover these costs they should just add it to the room rate. Don't advertise a free amenity then charge me for it. This is not being cheap; I would have gladly $20 a day for Internet access.)

Entering the 'mansion' where the suite was located, I noticed the carpeting was stained, not just in one area but also right down the hall leading to our room.

This suite was even more disappointing. For$300 you would not expect:
- Cigarette burns in counter tops
- Noisy refrigerator
- Poor quality TV
- Substandard toiletries
- Loose faucets
- Small shower stall
- Scratched and scuffed furniture
- Stained bed linens

The final straw for me was calling the front desk for bath robes (which should have already been in the room), the exchange went like this:
"Should we have robes in our room?"
"Do you have robes?"
"No, we don't"
"Would you like some robes?"
"Yes, thank you"

The Inn failed miserably at meeting my expectations.  If you find these comments as 'nit-picky', and feel $300/ night ($305 if you pay the 'resort' fee) for all the ‘amenities’ is reasonable, then you should book a suite here.  Otherwise, buyer beware.

One final note on the restaurants.  One is more upscale with $50/ plate and the other is more casual.  Note, they share the same kitchen -- this is like paying for a dinner at the Four Seasons, but your meal is cooked in the same kitchen as the TGIFs next door - think about it.

Wedding planner not good

Planned a wedding at the Inn at Essex and found the wedding coordinator to be extremely rude and unfriendly. Wasn't nice to work with.

Comments