Cortina Inn & Resort

103 US Route 4, Killington, Vermont, 05751-9460, United States

Cortina Inn and Resort
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

• Avoid the Cortina Inn like the Plague

If you were a previous guest of the Cortina Inn in Mendon, VT several years ago, you will be sorely disappointed with the NEW, “supposedly” renovated Cortina Inn of today. My friend and I loved the “old Cortina Inn”. It was spotless, charming, beautifully decorated, safe, and had outstanding customer service. We were saddened when many years ago we heard it was closed due to Legionnaire’s Disease and then they closed their doors even after that. I would rather stay in the back of my car than ever set forth in the “new”Cortina Inn. You will be well-advised to steer clear of the Cortina Inn as there are many other cheaper (and much nicer) places to stay where your business will be welcome and your room will be sanitary. Here is my report, which incidentally will be going to the BBB, as well as Chamber of Commerce, and Department of Health.
    1. We had reservations several weeks after “IRENE” hit. They took our reservations and said they didn’t know if the roads would be open. I asked them to be sure to let us know in advance if we were not going to be able to get to the Inn due to road closures. I never heard anything back. The day before I called to confirm and surprise surprise, the Inn was closed. We had to hustle to make alternative plans. They never gave us the courtesy of cancelling in advance for us. Oh, but they did say “we won’t charge you a cancellation fee”. How nice of them, considering I would not be able to keep my commitment because THEIR INN was closed to travelers.
    2. Upon check-in, I knew I was in for a nasty time. The front entrance was covered with debris and the trash was overflowing in the entry way. The rugs were worn and ghastly looking and didn’t look like they had ever been cleaned. Torn in places here and there. The host WAS courteous and pleasant and promptly checked us in.
    3. The room was like 100 degrees upon check-in. It was right above the pool. The room reaked of chlorine. It had crushed stone and dirt around the so called fireplace which was nothing more than a little stove type gadget. It took forever to cool off. The outside stairs which the host told me to go up were unsafe and rotted and filthy. We had to walk through pine sap to get to our room. Even though I was in a cast, he never mentioned that we should take the lobby interior path the room on the 2nd floor. There was no warning sign on the outside entrance of the room that you had to step down. With an injured ankle to boot, I nearly broke my neck. The deck was not private as depicted on their website. The adjacent room had a pool of standing filthy water outside their door. Think West Nile Virus.
    4. The bathroom was old fashioned and had new tile in some spots that were not professionally done. However, it was clean and had plenty of towels and toiletries. The light above the sink was burnt out. And it reaked of chlorine and was 100 degrees in their. The so called tub was deep but was 2 small people at best. The water temperature of the shower was cool to mildly luke warm
    5. All window sills had filth in the crevices and lots of lovely spiders.
    6. If we weren’t totally exhausted and didn’t have a dog with us, we would have went home or found alternate lodging. For $274, I could have had a luxury suite in Vegas. The Cortina Inn isn’t worth $10 a night!
    7. The beds were comfortable and did seem new and clean, though I had my doubts. The pillows were extremely thick and very uncomfortable for both of us. We checked for bed bugs, but didn’t see any. However, myself and my dog were scratching all night long so we are hoping we didn’t have bed bugs/fleas. The minute we got home, we all had to take a steaming hot shower and wash every article of clothing to try to minimize any travelling pests we might have picked up from Cortina. With dirt in the room, it’s a great environment to breed fleas.
    8. The pool we were both looking forward to using was completely empty. Now we know why. The handrail was covered in paint or bird poop, I couldn’t tell. There was a spider web hanging off the handrail. It smelled disgusting. We were both ready to get in, no towels anywhere. Poor lighting probably to hide the filth. The whirlpool had saran wrap cover and I looked under and there was a Styrofoam something floating in it. Neither looked like they had been used. We decided we would bypass the disease ridden pool and whirlpool.
    9. No dining on the premises, though they did tell us that. Very inconvenient from dining.
    10. Exposed circuit plugs in room, not cool if you have pets or kids.
    11. Air quality of the room was horrendous. I could barely breath all night probably from the mold or chlorine.
    12. To top of this marvelous stay----At approximately 12:30 AM some loud mouths checked in slamming doors. Supposedly the Cortina Inn boasts 24 hour service. There is no way in hell that a front desk person could not hear the ruckus. I gave it some time and talked to 2 of the party animals nicely and asked them to keep it down a bit. No result. I then called the front desk about ½ hour later and he said he would talk to them. No result. I waited and fumed since we all were wide awake by then. Then I called again and the desk clerk played dumb. “Oh, where are they next to your room”? What a joke! You could hear them partying I would say right in the lobby running between rooms and slamming doors and loud and obnoxious. Finally, he said he would talk to them. After another half hour they either passed out or decided to go to bed.
    13. The next day when the Manager said “Good Morning” to me, I blasted her. She is apparently the owner. And she apparently doesn’t care about retaining business. She basically said there was nothing they could do. When I suggested they could have called the authorities after the first warning or asked them to check out, she said she doesn’t call the cops on her guests unless they are committing a crime. Last time I checked public drunkenness and disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace were crimes. You can bet if my dog was barking all night, the cops would have been called if I refused to leave or quiet him.
    14. The only thing that was renovated about this facility is new drapes and perhaps beds.
    15. The tennis court was unkempt and the grounds were as well.
    16. Their website is VERY VERY misleading. Do yourself a favor and find alternate housing.
    17. This had to be the worse place I have ever stayed in my life. They are pricey and they have no grounds to be, except the greed of the owner (who is also the manager). Please heed my warning, no one at the hotel looked like they had a good time other than the drunks.
    18. I did leave housekeeping a tip as it’s not her fault, management has no clue how to run an INN and keep guests coming back for more.

Unique Quality: CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT DOESN'T GIVE A DARN ABOUT IT'S CUSTOMERS

Directions: OUT OF THE WAY FROM ALL ACTIVITIES, ON A BUSY HIGHWAY

• gripdxd's Profile Photo

Like the Movies

This was a cute inn, very homey. They serve tea & cookies at happy hour which is a nice treat from skiing. The pool and hot tub ease those aches and pains. The fireplace and games are very homesque. The staff are very friendly. It was a cozy comfortable stay. Very close to the ski resort. They also have a free breakfast in the morning, with servers (very good). They also have a restaurant for dining. It's a family orientated place and good to just relax or be with someone you care about.

Comments