18 Main St, Stowe, Vermont, 05672, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Jefie's Profile Photo

A wonderful place to stay

Since this short trip to Vermont was meant to replace the 2-week-long vacation to Florida we had originally planned, we decided to splurge a little bit when it came time to pick a place to stay, and I don't think our money could have been better spent than by choosing to stay at the Green Mountain Inn. From the moment we arrived and were greeted by Tyler at the front desk, we were made to feel very welcome. He provided us with all the information we needed to have a pleasant stay at the inn and in the Stowe area. We were upgraded to one of the inn's fantastic luxury rooms, which came with a four-poster king-sized bed, a nice fire place, and a huge jacuzzi tub. I also took full advantage of the inn's health club, but I ran out of time to book a massage or try the year-round outdoor heated pool (too many cool things to do!). There's free tea and cookies every day at 4:00 pm, and a free wine, beer & cheese tasting every Thursday night at 5:00 pm

The inn's location, right at the heart of the village, is pretty tough to beat. You can walk to all the shops and restaurants on Main Street or use the shuttle to get around Mountain Road (see my transportation tip). Since we had booked a full breakfast meal plan, we got to eat at the Main Street dining room every morning. The hot and cold buffet offered a wide variety of breakfast items (the pastry selection was pretty amazing), and on top of that it was also possible to order something from the kitchen, such as French toasts, Belgian waffles, omelettes and so on. It sure made for a nice way to get started every day!

Unique Quality: Historic property dating back to 1833

Directions: At the center of the village

• AliasGirl's Profile Photo

Classic Inn Located in the Heart of Stowe Village

This Inn is located right in the heart of Stowe Village, it's perfect location. Ski slopes are just a short drive away. All the shops and a few restaurants/cafes are located right on the same road as the Inn.

We arrived late in the evening from NY, so it was a few hours of anticipation until we arrived at our destination. We were pleasantly surprised, due to the fact that we booked three rooms, very last minute at the Green Mountain Inn.

Its a very classic and elegant hotel. It has 105 rooms, we had a smallish queen size bed with a small bathroom. Luckily, we arrived first out of the three couples and snagged the best room, it had a nice view and was very airy due to the amount of light we received everyday. The other rooms were similar but abit darker.

I later found out that some rooms were equiped with canopy beds, jacuzzis, large screen tvs, computers and surround stereo systems..more along the line of a suite.

But I was very happy with our room, just the same.

Unique Quality: The Inn has a breakfast room called the Main Street Dining Room. They serve fresh coffee, eggs, pancakes, bagels, hashbrowns, bacon and much much more..

The pool is an outdoor all around heated pool. I didn't go in but my husband and his pals enjoyed a few hours in the pool and the health club. Us girls enjoyed another massage in a small room off from the Ladies' Locker Room. Not as good as the Stoweflake massage, but a massage, just the same.

For a late lunch or quick bite, and even to buy some wine to drink in the reading rooms, try the Whip Bar & Grill.

Surprisingly, we spent sometime in the gameroom, having fierce air hockey battles!

I would return here, but first I want to try out my other two hotel tips! :)

More about Green Mountain Inn

*My dog loved the Green Mountain Inn, too!

by TripAdvisor Member antastic

I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Green Mountain Inn in Stowe. My dog was with me. Not only was the staff very friendly, the guests that I met were that way too! Loved the afternoon tea, and the opportunity to sit on the porch at night. People traveling with dogs must stay in the "annex". Although small, the room was beautifully decorated. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. There was a nice balcony that I went out on in the morning to read the paper. Across from the parking lot is a restaurant called the Malt Shop. Get their Catamount Veggie Sandwich, loved it. In the Depot Building is a small restaurant, less expensive than the restaurant in the hotel, especially for breakfast. The Inn is right in the middle of town, so you can walk to a variety of places. The Stowe Mercantile next door is a great place to buy gifts for the family. Do drive up Rte 108,though--it is magnificent. I would highly recommend the Green Mountain Inn and Stowe in general for people who are travelling with their dog.
Ann Marie from Kennebunk, Maine

Can't wait to go back to the Green Mountain Inn!

by TripAdvisor Member MG_Dallas

LOVED IT! My husband and I bought a package off Priceline that included this hotel that we otherwise might not have found. We stayed 5 nights in December, and it was wonderful. Our "standard" room was quite sizeable, and had a lovely canopy bed and reproduction antique furniture. The Inn is in close walking distance to stores, restaurants (there was even a tasty little bakery in the building next door that we went to for breakfast every morning), hiking trails, and a museum. The front desk staff was very helpful every time we had a question. We are looking forward to returning this winter, and bringing family along with us. I highly recommend the Green Mountain Inn!

The Whip Bar & Grill at the...

by jtb2inky

The Whip Bar & Grill at the Green Mountain Inn
I have eaten in this restaurant in Stowe several times and have not been disappointed once. The food, atmosphere, and service are wonderful. The restaurant is decorated with many buggy whips from ages past. Hence the name, 'The Whip'. New England corn chowder. Prime rib. Yummmm!!

Great Beer and Wine List

by dramaced about The Whip Bar & Grill at the Green Mountain Inn

Classic tavern ambience with upscale menu and first-class service. Our meal was perfectly timed and just interesting enough. Very accomodating to my 12-year-old. Portions were suprisingly generous; we both took 1/3 of our entree back to our hotel for lunch the next day. Listen to your server's recommendations--ours really helped us make the most of specials and regular menu items for a relaxing memorable meal.

Reservations are a must for weekends and the ski season.

The bar, which serves a nice selection of microbrews, looked like a good spot to socialize. Gorgonzola Crusted Filet Mignon
grilled Black Angus filet, Gorgonzola cheese, fresh herbs, roasted shallot demi-glace, white truffle-scented mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables $29.95

I would seriously consider driving to Vermont to have the truffle-scented mashed again...and the filet was everything you hope for but seldom get: a very generous cut of meat, cooked medium-rare to perfection: slightly crusted outside and pink but warm inside, with an excellent herbed gorgonzola and flavorful but not overpowering demi-glace.

Loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member duckiest

First time visitor. The best things about Green Mountain Inn are the staff and it's cleanliness. The bathrooms are spotless. The front desk was very friendly and helpful as was all of the staff. Location is great. Can't waint to go back.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member MES899

My husband and I stayed at The Green Mountain Inn this past December. It is absolutely beautiful...like staying in a dollhouse. We stayed in a Standard Room. The room was small (not too small), but the queen canopy bed was comfortable with a warm quilt. I felt safe the entire time, which is something very important to me as a traveler, and the room and Inn were very clean, also important. Stowe is a lovely little village...it's like staying in one of those Christmas Villages found under a Christmas tree...just beautiful, peaceful, and picture perfect. The people are friendly and extremely helpful...plus, it is pet friendly. We highly recommend a visit to Stowe, and the Green Mountain Inn is in an excellent location...not far from many sites and activities: Skiing, Ben and Jerry's, Shopping, Sleigh Rides, etc. You will absolutely loves this place. Also, many nice eateries in the area. Pie in the Sky for some pizza; The Swisspot for some fondue and try some hot apple cider-yummy. We skiied at Mt. Mansfield and had a blast; I am a novice, but there are many easy trails. After our day of skiing, we had a couples massage at the Inn. Wonderful! Excellent massage--very nice "spa" area. Sleigh Ride at Trapp Family Lodge was very romantic! Don't forget to check out the Cabot Creamery for delicious cheeses and and the Cold Holow Cider Mill. Best vacation we had in a long time! Enjoy!

not much help at the front desk

We recently stayed three nights at Green Mountain Inn during President's week. Our room was quite small with not much walking room, but very clean. The beds and pillows were very comfortable- I'd say the best I've ever had at any inn/hotel which resulted in a very wonderful night of sleep.

However, when we asked the front desk some basic questions like local church services, prices of buffet at their own Inn's restaurant, and location of attractions, the hotel desk clerk did not have any answers and wasn't interested in finding anybody who did, which I found to be quite annoying at a top notch Inn.

The afternoon tea/snack hour was very nice and games are placed around at tables to encourage good old fashion family fun, which was a treat.

Overall, our stay was very nice. Front desk help just needs to be trained a little better on answering questions or finding someone who does.

Very Nice Place

My wife and I just returned from Stowe and a weekend stay at the Green Mountain Inn. Our stay was short and sweet, and we were very impressed.

The inn has a great location right in the heart of Stowe village. There's lots of shops, galleries and restaurants within walking distance, which we took advantage of despite the torrential rain on Saturday. It is also within walking distance of the Stowe Recreation Trail, a 5.5 mile trail through woods and fields and over many bridges. On Sunday we rented bikes and rode the trail (11 miles roundtrip). It was great.

We dined Saturday evening at the Blue Moon Bistro, located about a block from the inn. We enjoyed that as well.

The Inn itself was extremely nice. We stayed in a luxury king suite in the Mansfield House. It was extremely well appointed with a marble bath, very comfortable bed with a handmade quilt, a fireplace, in-room jacuzzi, and an in-room PC with high speed internet. There was also a 27" TV (two, actually) with a DVD/CD player with five speaker surround sound.

We booked the Green Tree Inn as part of a last minute get-away package on the internet. We were extremely pleased and would return in a moment.

Nice Old Hotel, 4 poster bed, Great Restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member TheStaples

We spent one night at the Green Mountain Inn at Stowe in July travelling around Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

The Green Mountain in is quite old (in american terms), is clean and well presented, has nice bedrooms - we had a four poster (they are very high beds as an aside, not a criticism) and a great restaurant, 'The Whip' that has assorted horse's whips making up some of the dividers. It is right in the middle of Stowe and has plenty of parking and is opposite the Tourist Information that we booked it at - very helpful. We got the hotel for $99 for the night as we stayed midweek - the rates seem to vary quite a lot - plus taxes ($15 ish). We thought this was pretty good value.

My criticism's of the hotel would be minor - ask for a room at the back of the hotel as Stowe is quite noisy through rush hour and the room faces the main road - it didn't really stop us sleeping though. Also, the breakfast menu is quite expensive $15 per head - there is a bagel shop just up mountain road that provides hot tea and good breakfast bagels and gives you change from $15.

Generally, we would recommend this hotel for a stay in the Stowe region which is very very pretty, has lots of other good restaurants to choose from and is probably nice in autumn (fall), winter and spring.

Clueless about Vermont

by cuckie

Hi everyone!
I will be taking a trip to Vermont in mid February from NYC. I really have no knowledge about Vermont at all. I'm looking to have a nice romantic getaway with my to-be husband. I also want to do some snowboarding. Can anyone shed some light on me?
Which is the best place to visit? What activities are recommended?

Thanks for your help!

RE: Clueless about Vermont

by wolfhoundvt

Hi there,
Vermont is amazing and you will love it here! I would recommend Stowe as a good place for a first visit to Vermont - it's a lovely little historic town with lots of great shops and restaurants. Stowe Mountain Resort is here if you like to ski, there are also miles of cross country skiing trails. If you don't ski, there are sleigh rides, snowshoe tours, sledding, etc. etc. if you're looking for fun in the snow. Restaurants are plentiful. For a romantic getaway I'd look at the Green Mountain Inn (greenmountaininn.com) - they have romance packages and their luxury rooms are to die for - canopy beds, fireside jacuzzis, marble baths, very nicely furnished. Their restaurant is called the Whip Bar & Grill and it's probably one of the best places to eat in Stowe - a local favorite. They'll also set you up with romantic extras like chocolates, flowers or champagne in your room.
Hope this helps and have a great time!

RE: RE: Clueless about Vermont

by wolfhoundvt

Whoops, silly me! Just noticed you said you wanted to do some snowboarding. Stowe is great for that too. The "main" mountain is pretty challenging, if you're looking for more beginner/intermediate terrain I'd check out Spruce Peak, the "other side" of the resort. Lots of new stuff there!

Comments