4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Woodstock Inn and Resort
Woodstockinn.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Traditional New England Grand Hotel

I stayed here recently on business and was impressed by how beautiful the building and grounds were. Our room was lovely with high thread count sheets and nice artistic touches. The best part was the bathroom which included a huge whirlpool tub.

The staff was very helpful if a bit a aloof, in the way that Vermonters can sometimes be. I really enjoyed the facial I got at their new spa, which is honestly one of the most spectacular spas I've ever been to. The food in the restaurants was great, too.

The hotel has a cute gift shop that my daughter liked a lot. It's also within walking distance (five minutes) to Woodstock village, which is full of nice little shops and has an old-fashioned general store. Just keep in mind that pretty much everything closes by 6 p.m., even on weekends. Also note that because it's a resort town, things tend to be on the expensive side. We paid more than $5 for a small ice cream cone.

As a bonus, there's an authentic Vermont covered bridge that you can walk to across the street from the hotel.

• One of those rare, "Even better than I read about"

I'm heading to Woodstock N.Y., on my merry way expecting 1 hr left to go on the highway, when I realize I made the reservations in the wrong state!! So make that...another 5 hours.

Surprisingly, it was definitely one of those stupid stories, with a very cool ending.

I loved the place!! The place as cool, refreshing, funky as the very witty, wonderful hosts. If you love the idea of a B&B, but tend to have a secret urge to move those fake flowers once you get to the room, or find that that quaint lumpy, squeaky antique bed rapidly loses it's charm...then, you've come to the right place. It's like one of those new boutique hotels, each with distinct personality, very close attention to detail, and just plain great.

The area is wonderful, although not the Woodstock New York nightlife one might expect. I did, however, have one of the best meals I've ever had on a trip.

No negatives to report.

Unique Quality: OUr room had 2 opposing claw foot tubs, so that we could take long baths and face each other. It is way environmentally friendly, and they probably have organic teaspoons, to prepare the homemade amazing granola, compote...etc. Totally spoiled us. I don't think they allow kids/pets...wouldn't be a good match. It's right smack in the middle of town, a 5min walk from amazing hikes, beautiful lakes, boutiques, ceramic/wood working exhibitions....etc.

Directions: You'll bump into it, as soon as you get into town. It's bright yellow. All the rooms are anything but creme or beige.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

Award Winning Small Hotel

This award winning hotel offers 142 newly updated rooms in the rustic Vermont style, spacious with typical wooden furniture, original art by local artists on the walls, and working fireplaces. There are three restaurants including a very upscale 4-diamond dining room with superb service and food set in a high ceiling room with great chandeliers. This semicircular room overlooks the garden between the two wings of the hotel. Complimentary parking is available in lots front and back. And the hotel is on the village square, across from the covered bridge, and one block from the business section. Pool, spa, internet access - anything one might want. We have stayed here several times, always pleased with the staff and service as well as the large comfortable rooms. The dining rooms are very good and the breakfast is a typical huge Vermont specialty. Multiple combination packages are available lessening the overall cost - in this regard, we have been very happy with the overall savings from the golf package ( one night - includes breakfast and 18 holes of golf on the day of arrival as well as the next day ).

Directions: On the Village Green

More about The Woodstock Inn and Resort

Enjoyed Woodstock Inn

We stayed at the Woodstock Inn and it was just amazing!! The hotel is top notch and the service is wonderful. The staff are professional and friendly. The food is amazing!!! Don't miss the breakfast buffet!!!

Woodstock Inn & Resort

by german_eagle

This hotel is one of Vermont's finest. The original building from 1892 required modernization in the 1960s and was replaced by a new one, but in traditional style. It is one of the landmarks of Woodstock, right next to the Green.

If you're not staying there for obvious reasons (rates!) it is still a pleasure to explore the Inn. It has a charming lobby with open fireplace (where my parents loved to sit, relax and do some people watching), a nice library room with internet access (which I used, probably unauthorized but I didn't see a sign 'for hotel guests only') and several nice dining options. Not to mention the expansive, beautiful grounds and the activities that are offered: tennis, golf, spa etc.

New England at its Finest

by TripAdvisor Member BJW2084

I stayed at the Woodstock Inn for a week in February and had an all around amazing stay. My wife and I came to the Woodstock Inn, because we had heard it was the quintessential New England resort, and we were not disappointed in the least. We went downhill skiing one day, cross-country skiing the next, and the next day spent time pampering ourselves with massages at their health and fitness center. The other days we spent shopping in the village or being curled up in front of the roaring fire in the hotel lobby. The staff was extremely attentive and did everything with a smile. All the food was amazing, but the Sunday brunch was to die for. We are already making plans to return again next year.

Enjoyed the Inn

We enjoyed our stay at the Inn. We were greeted courteously and the staff was very accomodating. The room was decorated as we would have expected a Vermont Inn to be decorated. The room was clean and our housekeeper was friendly and efficient. Our room was quiet and we did not hear noise from other rooms. We went to relax and the Inn was perfect for that. We would not hesitate to return to the Inn.

Disappointing

We were quite disappointed by this hotel. The rooms were small and shabbily furnished, and the hotel seemed under-staffed. The room decor was dated...not in a charming, antique way; rather, it looked like it hadn't been kept up. Apparently they are in the process of renovating the rooms, so they must be aware of the problem. Ask for a renovated room if you go. In addition, the inn is very large, so it can feel impersonal. My husband kept referring to the inn as a "motel", and it definitely had that feeling. We felt the quality of the hotel did not match the prices.

Mixed Review!

by TripAdvisor Member wrecks

It's difficult for me to come up with an overall rating.

My wife and I stayed for three nights for a wedding. Our group rate was no bargain. And I had read reviews on this site with some apprehension.

Our room was very nice, what they call a "classic" room. We got, through sheer luck, a renovated room. It was not all that big (12 x 25 feet, or 300 sq ft., including bath and closet) but very nicely appointed. Bathroom was particularly nicely done, with much better than average tile work, candle and matches, dimmer on light switch (!), lots of towels. Evening turndown/towel service is available -- but you have to ask for it. New LG television. No minibar. Free internet! Free coffee in the lobby in the mornings. NY Times available in lobby.

But...

Service in the lobby breakfast restaurant was well-meaning but not very competent.

My 86-year-old mother-in-law was given a room way down a distant corridor where you had to cross a construction area. When we asked that she be moved closer, we were told "she'll be fine". They did not say, but gave the impression that there were no other rooms available. Then we noticed the "vacancy" sign out front...

Others in our wedding group had rooms that were not nearly as nice as ours (at the same price).

So...

We had a good experience, but several others in our party did not. Take your chances...

nlachapelle's new USA Page

by nlachapelle

You must visit New England in the fall especially Massachusetts,Vermont and New Hampshire. The best time is approximately Oct 10-15 when the foliage is at its full colors. Pumpkins are displayed in front of most of the homes and the country inns are most inviting with roaring fire places,hot buttered rum and cider. The best famous inns to visit or take lodging are: Woodstock Inn,Woodstock Vermont;Public House Inn,Sturbridge,Massachusetts,and the Norman Rockwell favorite inn in his former hometown of Stockbridge,Massachusetts "The Red Lion Inn".
Happy journey,
Normand

Woodstock InnWoodstock Inn

Where to stay and what route to take from boston

by ShikhaA

Hi there:

I'll be flying into Boston for work next Saturday (Oct 2nd) and I basically have all of Sunday free to do some sightseeing. I wanted to drive to Vermont on Saturday, stay the night and then see Vermont all of Sunday, and then drive back to Cambridge Sunday evening.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what city to stay in in Vermont? I want to catch the best fall foilage, maybe do a little hiking, visit some small towns. Any hikes with waterfalls? Any recommendations on which route to drive for the best fall foilage or any other not to miss attractions welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Shikha

by shohman

Woodstock is considered by many to be the most beautiful area in Vermont. I agree, but I also think The entire state is beautiful.

by zuriga

Burlington is supposed to be a nice town - probably one of the larger ones in Vermont. Stowe and some of the other ski resort towns are also quite nice. The further north you travel, the better the foliage might be. Early October might not just be peak season, but there should be some color, from what I remember.

To be honest, New Hampshire is a lot closer to Boston and looks very much the same! A college town like where Dartmouth is in Hanover might be as interesting as anything in Vermont.

by nicolaitan

as noted above, new hampshire and the maine coastline also attract a lot of tourist clientele and are a lot closer. but of the three i also prefer vermont. since you are driving from boston, the southeastern corner of vermont is closest and features woodstock, described by good housekeeping magazine, as the prettiest village in the united states.

not sure i agree totally, but a perfect base. woodstock has a working covered bridge, a raptor center, an old fashioned farm museum - billings - and loads of great scenery. downtown has been maintained as quaint. lots of nice b and b places and for upscale the woodstock inn. antiques stores, in the village and west of town on US 4, also a nice road. east of woodstock and on the direct US 4 highway to the interstate is the queechee gorge. the highway runs along the river, very nice.

by jonellis

Fall foliage should be at peak in Central Vermont the first week in October, It is already 60% in many higher elevations in Northern areas. I am from Vermont but in Florida at the moment. Drive anywhere on Route 100 and you will see the best. Or Rt 105 across the top of the State. Better make reservations ahead as sometimes everything is full during peak times. Try Willoughvale Inn on Vt Rt 5A in the Village of Westmore beside Lake Willoughby. They are on internet to book.

Comments