Victoria and Albert Inn

Victoria and Albert Inn
Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

• Stay Away

My Sunday has just been ruined as well as my memories of my 16th wedding anniversary.

It has been one week since we stayed at the inn and we just received a phone call from the owner, Hazel, accusing us of stealing pillows from two of the rooms!

My wife answered the phone and became so quickly flustered that she had to pass the phone to me. Hazel refused to discuss any details but instead lectured me on how stealing was a sin and then hung up on me. I tried 4 times to call her back to try to clear up the matter and each time she hung up on me after a similar lecture. I am an EAGLE SCOUT and I would do nothing to tarnish the image of the Boy Scouts. I am taking her accusations personally, and her unwillingness to even discuss the matter makes me extremely upset! We had many disappointing aspects to our 2-day visit, but I would have never even written a review figuring that maybe Hazel had a bad weekend. After all, it was her 75th birthday. But her actions show me that she is not a good host and she may have more serious issues which are demonstrated by her actions today in accusing us of stealing pillows FROM TWO ROOMS! (Important note: another couple stayed in one of the rooms supposedly missing pillows after us. How come Hazel didn't have the pillows missing then, and ask us about them while we were STILL STAYING AT HER INN! She was cleaning the room herself on Sunday when I asked for ice.)

Thus I will now tell my full experience of the weekend to inform and warn others.

We were supposed to stay at the "Love House" a second property owned by Hazel and Richard. Upon arrival my wife was met by Hazel in the parking lot and told with no introductions that "You are not staying here!" My wife finally figured out that she was telling us that she had moved us to the other house because Hazel was putting her entire family up in the Love house. We knew nothing of the change. But, since we were getting an upgrade (so we thought) we went with the flow. We were shown two rooms and given our choice (Blue or Burgundy) at the Victoria-Albert. The 3rd floor Burgundy was much too hot (2nd floor thermostat read 80 degrees) so we accepted the Blue. Nice room, a little warm but we were told that the ac would cool it off by evening. The room instructions said there was "turn down service" but it never happened (Maybe since we touched the pillows, that’s why we got accused of taking them!).

We were asked the next morning to change rooms because they had the blue room booked to another couple for our second night and Richard had not talked to Hazel about reservations. (A hassle) Now we had to stay on the 3rd floor in Burgundy. Again, we went with the flow as each room is neat in its own right. The inn is very conveniently close to the VA creeper bike trail. On our second day, Sunday, we returned from 20 miles of biking, I was very hot and I asked Hazel for ice for my warm soda. She was cleaning the Blue room from our stay and screamed through the house for Richard! When he did not answer, she said I would find cold water in the fridge and that I would have to wait for ice! Ice was never brought to the room and after15 minutes I went to look for the ice again in the community room. Hazel saw me enter the room and with a very rude voice, treated me with contempt by slamming the freezer door across in front of me to show me how the ice was placed in the fridge part (NOT THE FREEZER!). BTW the thermostat never dropped below 78 during the day on the second floor and it felt warmer on the 3rd floor. Thank goodness for all the rain to cool things off. We left for dinner and stayed out of the inn for the evening as it was clear that a party was planned encompassing the entire 1st floor (decorations, balloons, etc) and we were not invited. We didn't desire to attend the party but that left no nice place if we wanted to sit someplace other than our room, to meet other guests or socialize.

I can say that she made a good omelet but we had eggs both mornings. We were not told the breakfast menu but we were told where to sit.

I've started to calm down now after an hour of typing. My anniversary weekend will be forever tainted by her phone call. Do your self a favor; don't risk a stay with Hazel.

Comments