480 King Street, Alexandria, Virginia, 22314, United States

Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Kimpton Hotel Monaco (formerly Holiday Inn Select)

Kimpton's hotel Monaco is the most expensive hotel in town, but it has the best location and the nicest accommodations. It is located in the heart of Old Town closer to the water than any other major King Street lodging option. Prices are often as high as $200 in the off season, only going up from there. They have 241 rooms with free internet, huge flat screen TVs, and amazing rooms, some with two levels, and others as big as 1600 square feet! This impressive hotel has a pool, spa, fitness center, a nice restaurant and much more. The historic hotel was founded in 1749 and was formerly a Holiday Inn before reopening as the Monaco in 2008. The hotel offers free breakfast and free coffee in the lobby, but doesn't have coffee makers in the rooms... but, for some reason, my room had two phones.

When I checked in there was a gold fish named Lucy on the front desk. I asked the employee how many Lucys they had gone through, thinking they would only live a day or two, but he informed me the maids keep a big tank full of fish, so they can rotate them out of the non-aerated bowls and they live longer. The second day of my stay, there was a goldfish in a bowl, just sitting in the hallway. Supposedly they will even "loan" you a fish to brighten up your room during your stay. It would be more fun to borrow a puppy.

They also feature a very good restaurant called Jackson 20 that is supposedly named after the president and his dollar bill. They also have conference facilities and an outdoor courtyard.

The fortunes of James W. Jackson, a southerner from Alexandria, and Elmer E. Ellsworth, a Union Army Colonel clashed in Alexandria on 24 May 1861. On this day, the Union Army invaded northern Virginia, shortly after the state voted to secede from the Union. Northern troops from New York, including Col Ellsworth entered Alexandria, and quickly occupied the town. In the center of town at the Marshall House (where the Hotel Monaco stands today) a brave James Jackson was flying the Confederate flag. Ellsworth entered the Marshall House and removed the flag, only to be confronted and shot by Jackson, the inn's owner. Ellsworth died at the scene and Jackson was executed a short time later. Col Ellsworth was the first Union officer killed in the war, and his name became a rallying cry for the northern military. Jackson too became a martyr for the southern cause, as he represented a man trying to defend his home from Northern invaders.

A plaque at the Monaco hotel is dedicated to Jackson, and it celebrates his defense of the South. It reads: "The Marshall House stood upon this site, and within the building on the early morning of May 24, 1861 James W. Jackson was killed by Federal Soldiers while defending his property and personal rights, as stated in the verdict of coroners jury. He was the first Martyr to the cause of Southern Independence. The Justice of History does not allow his name to be forgotten. Not in the excitement of battle, but coolly, and for a great principle, he laid down his life, an example to all, in defence [sic] of his home and the sacred soil of his native state Virginia."

More about Hotel Monaco Alexandria

Fabulous!!!

by TripAdvisor Member sweetgracie

Our stay at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria exceeded all of my expectations! The service was outstanding, the hotel itself was fantastic, and the location was ideal. Our only problem was the air conditioner in my parent's room. When we reported the problem, they were immediately moved and taken care of. Everything else was perfect. The rooms are roomy and beautifully decorated. The lobby was so unique with funky design. You will not be disappointed if you plan a trip to this hotel. The location was so perfect for walking down to the river-a CVS pharmacy was on the next block, and we found a great restaurant next door-La Madeline-great coffee and breakfast. The King Street Trolley was convenient-most of the time. The longest we waited was at the King Street Metro Station. Great hotel staffed by great people. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful. We loved our stay and would stay again if we visit Washington DC.

A true gem

by TripAdvisor Member bostontravelhg

Everything about my stay at the Hotel Monaco was fabulous.

The deocor was fun and upscale. No touch was overlooked. The rooms were incredibly welcoming and offered a great working space, a lounge area complete with a flat screen tv, a most comfortable bed, a large bathroom, and in my case a balcony.

The hotel is in a great location on King Street. Centrally located for sightseeing, shopping and dining. There is even a CVS a block away for any items you might have forgotten.

The restaurant at the hotel, Jackson 20, was honestly one of the best meals i have had. The staff there and at the hotel was most friendly and welcoming.

I will return here again and again whether for business or pleasure.

Wonderful Property - But Some Bumps In This Stay

by TripAdvisor Member DJTravelBoy

The two issues first:
-- I made my reservation using the Kimpton site but the front desk could not pull my reservation over from that system. Come to find out, Kimpton uses three different internal reservations systems. This delayed my check in about 15 minutes and was actually rather unnecessary. I almost left.
-- The elevators in the hotel all went down and guests were forced to use stairs for a good part of Sunday morning during my stay. Quite surprising for a newly renovated property.

The good stuff:
-- Excellent location.
-- Very nice rooms, great beds and linens, everything very functional, HDTV FlatScreens.
-- Wonderful in-house restaurant, Jackson 20.
-- Great morning coffee in the lobby. No wine hour at this Kimpton due to Virginia law.

Pampered Pooch

by TripAdvisor Member TravelingBichon

My husband, myself, and Duffy, our 14 year old bichon, just returned from a four night stay at the Hotel Monaco. The location was wonderful, within walking distance to almost everything in Old Town. I can't say enough about the hotel staff who pampered Duffy. The doormen knew her name and would welcome us back each evening. Upon check in, Duffy received a pet bed and bowl for her stay as well as a welcome toy and leash for her to keep. I would definately recommend the hotel for those traveling with their pets. The hotel even offers a Doggy Happy Hour on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. The only thing that could be better is some grass area around the courtyard for the doggie clientel. The nearest grass was at the waterfront parks which were about 4 - 5 blocks away. We booked a Monte Carlo Terrace Room. The balacony was well worth the few extra dollars per night. The only disappointment was that we discovered Old Town was perhaps not as dog friendly as some other destinations. It is probably fine if traveling with a larger dog, but for people traveling with a smaller dog, please note that most of the outdoor seating areas require your dog to be leashed outside of the eating area. Overall, we had a great stay and felt especially pampered by the Hotel Monaco. We will definately return again.

Classy and Comfortable in the heart of Old Town

by TripAdvisor Member Mindwanderer

The mark of a great hotel stay is that there is something about the place that makes you want to stay, and there are aspects of the style you want for your own house. The Hotel Monaco in Alexandria fits this bill for us. From the classy decor to the L'Occitane toiletries, we were happy there from the get-go. We upgraded to a terrace room which was well worth the extra 20 dollars a night - the terrace was a lovely place to enjoy the free New York Times delivered to the door every morning. The bed was heavenly, and they promptly switched the comforter to a thin blanket when I asked for something lighter given the heat outside. The TV worked great, there was a great selection of channels, and it was well situated to be easily seen but unobtrusive. The bathroom was simple and effective, elegant without being overdone. The service was truly outstanding. The bell-hops seemed to take genuine pleasure in their job, and the management responded to issues promptly and thoroughly. A good friend of ours (who was getting married) had an issue with the A/C in her reserved suite and the manager personally took care of getting everything straightened out. Every staff we dealt with, including the concierge, the porters, the manager, and the front-desk staff were all gracious and truly helpful. The location cannot be beat for Old Town Alexandria, and if you drive keep in mind that right across the street from the entrance to the hotel garage is a city garage that costs 8 dollars a day (compared to 20 per day for the hotel). Finally, I ate twice at Jackson 20 and thought it was very good - especially the cheddar fries (from the bar snack menu). All in all I felt pampered, comfortable, and relaxed. I highly recommend this hotel. Like most brand new hotels there are a few kinks (like the A/C), but they own up to these and make a genuine effort to keep you happy.

A Delightful Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Travel_loverVirginia

I just returned from a long weekend at the Hotel Monoco.
The staff went out of their way to be helpful and always had a cheery greeting and a smile.
Our room was ever so comfortable and spacious and we slept like babies.
I would definately recommend this hotel. It is centrally located in old town Alexandria with Washington D.C. not too far away.
There was a farmer's market across the street on Saturday morning with wonderful handmade treasures and delicious fruits and vegetables.

Hotel Monaco made me feel like Princess Grace!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member eam66

WOW! Great hotel, great location, great service!

I stayed recently and was blown away by every aspect of the hotel. It was clean, nicely appointed and had great amenities.

The entire staff seemed to understand how to make your visit a memorable one.

I will definatley stay here again and will definately stay at Kimpton properties in the future.

LOVELY! You have to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member cactpcjs

I have been in many hotels. LET ME TELL YOU!! TOTALLY AWESOME staff. I have NEVER been treated like I was Princess. I wanted to cry because it was beautiful. People forget about customer service, however, your team is TOP NOTCH. I really mean that. The housekeeper was wonderful and nice. Called Concierge several times and always they were positive or helped me in any way. I even called several times and no problems.

From the beginning of my trip when I walked up to the door when the bell hops opened the door grabbed my luggage to the VERY end of my trip. When I was coming out of the elevator with my luggage, a woman came and swooped up my luggage to help me. It really was like magic staying here.

I live in Orlando, FL and I am sad to say that DISNEY properties need to look at what customer service really is.

Fabulously luxurious but not a first rate hotel

by TripAdvisor Member gothamfoodie

My husband and I just returned from 3 nights at the Monaco. I got a super cheap rate for 2 of the 3 nights ($129/nt) from a Kimpton club members summer sizzler sale (via email) which is why I gave 4 stars not 3. Had I paid $330/night I would be steamed (and not just from the Virginia humidity this past week - HA!).
The hotel has a lot going for it: the location is smack in the center of Old Town, the place is decorated very stylishly and the rooms are chic and upscale (Frette, L'Occitane bath amenities, top-of-the-line bathroom fixtures, marble, feathertop bedding, huge flat screens in the room, ipod player, hotel pool, gym). They spared no expense renovating this previous Holiday Inn.

BUT, there was a flood at the hotel months ago and the entire hotel is running off of a generator the size of an 18-wheeler, and its parked on the side street next to the hotel! The vibrations, gigantic noise and fumes are horrible. And because of this, there is no A/C in the hallways, elevators or the lobby it seemed. When we arrived, they had upgraded us to a Mediterrean suite (SWEET!!) but it overlooked this noisy monster and we had to leave that gorgeous suite and go to a king room (on the other side of the hotel) that we originally booked if we hoped to get any sleep/quiet. Once that generator is gone (who knows how long) that will improve things.
The hotel has other things working against it. The staff is not 100% professional. I understand it is probably hard to get quality service staff, but this place is expensive. Our service ranged from an excellent manager (clearly a hotel management grad) to apathetic, to non-english speaking. Some staff looked like they let anyone in for a job. There were many gaps in service during our stay ( we were greeted by a dead orchid in our room, staff entered elevators before us - and with rolling garbage pails!, loud and unprofessional staff in the hallways early in the morning, apathetic staff not willing to help us).
Another weird thing: our room had an adjoining room door (that was locked obviously as was the adjoining door from the room next to us), but you could hear EVERYTHING in the room that the door led to. It was ridiculous. The doors had no sound barrier around them and we heard when our neighbor came in and out (5am of course). This is outrageous. I would request a room that had no adjoining door.

But all that said, we loved our room and feather bed and luxe bathroom. I regret we couldn't have stayed inthe suite which we would have loved. There apparently was a problem with the room A/Cs as well as there were many A/C covers in the hallway awaiting repair. We heard guests saying 'maybe they fixed our A/C'. Thankfully that didn't happen to us.
Kimpton: you are sitting on what could be a fabulous hotel. Please take a look at this property and don't let it go to waste!

Comments