1600 King Street, Alexandria, Virginia, 22314, United States

Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Official Website

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Other King Street Hotels

King Street, the heart of Old Town Alexandria has numerous higher-end hotels for travelers to chose from. At the western end of Old Town near the Metro station are several expensive chain hotels like the Hilton, Hampton Inn, and Embassy Suites, while closer to the water are some of the older, more unique hotels like the Hotel Monaco and the Morrison House. All of these hotels are sure to please, well liked, and well located hotels near dozens of great restaurants.

Hotel Monaco - Kimpton's hotel Monaco is often the most expensive hotel in town, but it has the best location truly in the heart of Old Town closer to the water than any other King Street lodging. Prices are often as high as $200 in the off season, only going up from there. They have 241 rooms with free internet, huge flat screen TVs, and amazing rooms, some with two levels, and others as big as 1600 square feet! This impressive hotel has a pool, spa, fitness center, a nice restaurant and much more. The historic hotel was founded in 1749 and was formerly a Holiday Inn before reopening as the Monaco in 2008.

Lorien Hotel and Spa - The Lorien just opened in February 2009, and is part of the Kimpton chain, like the Hotel Monaco and the Morisson House just a few blocks away. This hotel has just 107 rooms and suites with a spa, fitness center, valet parking, free wi-fi, complimentary bicycles, free shoe shines, and much more. They also have a restaurant, wine tasting bar, and opening soon is a wine and cheese shop called "The Butcher Block." Rates start around $200.

Hilton - the Hilton is just steps from the Metro Station and is the largest hotel in Old Town Alexandria. It has a swimming pool, fitness center, Starbuck's Coffee, and a restaurant called Seagar's with indoor and outdoor dining. The biggest drawback is the $20 a day for parking in the often inexpensive hotel with per night prices as low as $100 in the winter.

Embassy Suites - rooms at this Hilton property are $130 to $230 in the off-season. The hotel is very close to the metro and has a restaurant, swimming pool, and fitness center. Self parking is $24 a day.

Hampton Inn - Hilton's Hampton Inn has 80 rooms beginning around $110-$210 per night in the off season, with parking available at $12 a day. The hotel has a complimentary hot breakfast, but no real restaurant or other major amenities on site.

Morrison House - another Kimpton Hotel, the Morrison House has just 41 rooms in a boutique hotel setting. Which often means smaller rooms and fewer amenities in exchange for a quirky, historic structure.

Directions: On King Street between the Metro and the river

More about Lorien Hotel & Spa - a Kimpton Hotel

Treated like we were VIP all weekend!

by TripAdvisor Member Tfrancis

We were very pleased with the Lorien Hotel & Spa. As soon as we entered they greeted us and gave our dog some treats. She was then given a plush dog bed and some very nice bowls to use in the room. Our room was very trendy and clean. The king room that we stayed in was a little on the small size but I heard that they have larger rooms. The bathroom was top notch. So was the fitness room. I have never seen one so nice at a hotel. The sitting area off from the lobby and the outdoor courtyard were beautiful.
The location was perfect. We walked to all the shops and restaurants on Kings Street. The staff were very attentive. They greeted us and our dog by name every time we left and returned to the hotel.
I would recommend staying at the Lorien Hotel & Spa when you are in Alexandria, VA!

Will keep coming back

by TripAdvisor Member kb-austin

I have to travel frequently to DC and it's nice to find a location that is just out of the city, but close enough to reach via metro. Love the service, the restaurants, the location, and the spa.

First class at the Lorien.

by TripAdvisor Member jpoole

When I travel I go for budget, punctuated by intermittent luxery. This was one of my luxery stays. I got it through a Travelzoo special off so I have no idea what the normal rates are. It's first class all the way. The bar is very pricey, but it's nice and it IS D.C. I had the best (and most expensive) breakfast I've had in a VERY long time, and the staff was eerily cheerful, helpful, and freindly. I don't think I caught a staff member not wearing a smile. They seemed to delight in freaking me out with their freindly helpfulness. It's in the heart of old Alexandria, three minutes walk from the Kings Street metro, and there are restaurants galore.

Excellent hotel and experience at the Lorien

by TripAdvisor Member TarHeelsfan

I have stayed at the Lorien for 4 consecutive weeks, about 2 or 3 nights each week, since they opened. After trying many DC hotels and even ones just blocks from my office, I found the best hotel: the Lorien Hotel and Spa in Alexandria.

The entire Lorien team is consistently friendly and helpful and one of my reasons for deciding to come back and stay here each week.

For business travelers, I found this Kimpton property in Alexandria and on King Street to be a much more enjoyable, quiet and upscale experience than staying in DC. The hotel is a quick 5-minute walk to the King Street Metro station and about a 20-minute ride on the Blue line to the Farragut West stop.

Just outside the hotel's front doors, try the homeade tarts (pizzas) and great Belgian beers at the Lorien's BRABO Tasting Room or martinis at the BRABO Restaurant bar. The hotel is brand-new and has wonderful rooms that you would expect in a luxury hotel. I'm looking forward to my next visit. This is my favorite Kimpton.

Spectacular!!

by TripAdvisor Member NPotomac4

I normally don't give uniformy glowiing reviews, but this Hotel was great! I went with my wife for a much needed weekend of relaxation away from our kids. The hotel was beautiful. The facade was brick and fit in well with the sorrounding row homes. From the moment you pull up your car, the staff is very welcoming with smiles on their faces and a "let me do that for you, it's no problem at all" attitude. The interior was designed beautifully, and this hotel has a "dream" theme. There's a library with a fireplace off the lobby which has a lot of white in it. and all the books have white jackets with no writing - a little weird and funky, but really cool.
The rooms were beautiful, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom had a spa feel, and we were in the cheapest room.
The value was great! Other hotels in the area were MORE expensive, including some of the chains like Hampton Inn. I think or rate was so good because they just opened. Our AAA rate included complimentary valet parking, which was a big plus in Old Town.
The hotel is 2 blocks from the Metro station, and right in the middle of all the Hub-bub on King street with shops and restaurants of all types within blocks.

Kimpton excels...again!

by TripAdvisor Member bobgin

I frequently use Kimpton's Hotel Onyx in Boston for visitors from around the country...and they always rave about it. I was very happy to see that Kimpton had recently opened an Alexandria hotel and spent three nights on business. Everything is new, fresh, and welcoming. My room was spotless and the bed was ultra comfortable. Didn't have an opportunity to try the dining rooms, but the themes and atmosphere looked intriguing...they will be part of my next stay. The staff is world class: dignified and soicitous... they made me feel welcome and valued throughout my stay. Metro is very handy...Treat yourself and try this new Alexandria treasure!

Highly recommended luxury

by TripAdvisor Member govtlawyer

I am a local who I stayed at the Lorien for a weekend getaway with my sweetheart. We were very impressed with everything about the hotel. My overall impression of this place was excellent, and I remarked that if I were visiting DC or Alexandria I would be delighted to stay here. I am a big Kimpton fan to start with, but this hotel is one of their best.

The service that everyone has commented on was really that good. Great attitudes and very friendly. We needed to store our bikes, and although that was an unusual request, they figured out a way to make it happen. I will say that you could tell that everyone was new because they weren't quite as polished as what you would expect in more established hotels, but they more than made up for that with enthusiasm. It was really nice.

The room itself was great. It had a very serene and tranquil, spa-like feel. Our Deluxe King was painted a soothing light blue color, with crisp white linens. I am a bit of a clean-freak, especially when it comes to hotel rooms. I was totally comfortable here. The bedding was soft and inviting, and like other Kimpton properties, they do that thing with the (fluffy down) comforter where it is sandwiched in between sheets so that it doesn't touch you.

The bathroom lacked a bathtub, but did have a huge, glass-doored shower and a counter with ample space. I will say that if you're shy about certain things, you may not be delighted with the sliding glass door to the bathroom. It might not mask certain, uh, sounds like an ordinary door would. Worth mentioning. Also, the towels were better than what you find at most hotels. In other words, they were actually soft to the touch and not irritating to your face.

Note that on weekends, parking on the streets near the hotel is plentiful and free. Though we brought our own bikes, the hotel has bikes it will loan out to guests. I don't know if there is a fee.

The location is excellent! It is in the north part of Old Town, very close to the yellow and blue lines of the metro (which will take you to downtown DC in about 12 minutes). There is a reasonable selection of restaurants nearby and a Whole Foods within walking distance. I will say that though there is more in the north part of Old Town than there used to be, but you will have to walk a bit to get to the heart of Old Town. I think there is a free bus that runs up and down King Street now, though. I'm a walker so I love this, but you should know that the waterfront is about 3/4 to a mile away. Also note that there are brick sidewalks, which aren't the best for high heels.

We took advantage of the spa while there. It is a really gorgeous facility. I wasn't delighted with my massage, but I think that the massage therapist was new and inexperienced. My companion really enjoyed his massage.

We also ordered room service for breakfast and the food was awesome. It was expensive ($62 for two entrees, beverages, plus the service charge and delivery charge), but we thought it was a worthwhile splurge. Try the dish that has the poached eggs, pork belly and cheddar-potato cakes. Yum! The juice ($6/glass) was expensive but really good.

We didn't use the fitness center, but we are dedicated gym-goers and deemed the gym here sufficient. It was a bit on the dark side, but it had decent equipment.

Perfectly Lovely

by TripAdvisor Member Vicola

My stay at this hotel was just lovely. Everything about this place is lovely. My room was nicely appointed. I love the blue. The bed was extremely comfortable, the linens were crisp, and the down comforter kept me warm on a few chilly nights. The computer in the room was a lovely touch. No need to drag out my laptop. I still have not invested in one of them "new-fangled" televisions, so having an HDTV was a lot of fun. Loved the clarity. All staff members were pleasant, friendly and helpful. I had a spa treatment, so I can highly recommend their services. The food at the two restaurants was very good, as well. The location is great for shopping (lots of it) and for catching the Metro (only two blocks.) I have nothing negative to say about the Lorien, and I will most definitely consider staying here again.

Great Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member DKLAG

My wife and I travelled to Alexandria from Cleveland, Oh. for a long weekend. I had found the Lorien on the internet and noticing it was brand new decided to give it a try. We couldn't have had a nicer time. First, the hotel itself was very nice. The color schemes were relaxing and we found the layout inviting. The rooms were beautiful. We stayed in a king spa room and were very comfortable. The staff was very pleasant from the first moment we walked in to the moment we left. Knowing the property is new, the only downside was that the staff had not become very familiar yet with the Old Town area; specifically restaruants and bars. This I am sure will get much better as time goes on. The location is excellent as well. they are only a few blocks to the metro and only about 10 or so minutes walk to the heart of old town. This will definitely be a place we visit again when travellling to DC.

Comments