116 South Alfred Street, Alexandria, Virginia, 22314, United States

Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Elite Service and Elegance

My stay at the Morrison House Hotel was wonderful. The room was beautiful, amenities were great, and the service was top-notch. And it was great to be right next to the main street in Alexandria. I never had to get my car out.

Unique Quality: You get free internet if you sign up for their preferred customer program with Kimpton Hotels. Or it's like $10 a night. So, I'm now a member of their program. :)

*****I booked my room for two nights on the hotel's website. Well, as I booked my stay the receipt had me at a neighboring place. So, I had to talk to the customer service for like 20 minutes to get the original booking cancelled and make one for the Morrison House. Just make sure if you book online that you make sure you're going to the MORRISON and not their partners at Kimpton.

More about Morrison House

Stay at the Morrison House!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Princess1043

We strongly recommend the Morrison House!! The staff, from the doorman, to the front desk, to the room service waitstaff, to the housekeeping staff, was friendly, welcoming and professional.

The room, as mentioned in other reviews on this site, was comfortable and well-appointed. It was small, but cozy and clean. We ordered room service each morning, and it was delivered quickly.

We found the location to be great - right in the heart of Alexandria! It was a little bit of a walk to the Metro, but cabs are readily available and was not a problem.

We enjoyed our stay at the Morrison house, and we look forward to going back as soon we can!!

Great service

by TripAdvisor Member Josh173

I just returned from two nights at the Morrison House. I was there on a government rate, which meant I was down on the first floor. My guess is that the other rooms are larger and nicer. However, I will say that the location is wonderful. It's in the heart of Old Town. It was a bit of a hike to the metro, but doable.

The service of the hotel is outstanding. Every need was catered to. My room, although small, was nice and well appointed. The television was quite pedestrian (small and old) for a 4-star hotel, but apart from that, I was quite pleased.

Fabulous service, but could be more comfortable.

by TripAdvisor Member rtbabb

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay. The service is AMAZING and we felt very well cared for. However, I found the room to be a bit "cold" and not terribly comfortable, even though we were on the 5th floor (one of the better rooms). The 4-poster bed was beautiful, made up with lovely sheets, but the mattress was very hard. The chairs were pretty antique reproductions, but definitely not comfy enough to curl up and read in. We had room service for breakfast once and it was only average. Again, the Morrison House offers fantastic service, but I'm not sure we would return if the opportunity arose.

An excellent stay

by TripAdvisor Member OrrvilleRedRider

My wife, 8 year old son and I spent 4 splendid nights at Morrison House the last week of March. We were all pleased with our stay, and were sorry to leave.

We stayed in a suite -- a living room and a bedroom, with one bath. The rooms were not large, but were comfortable. The furnishings were of first quality. The linens were in keeping with a deluxe hotel.

The staff is extremely welcoming and gracious. I had a number of special requests, which were filled quickly and without problem.

Breakfast was very good, and reasonably priced, for an urban hotel.

The only minor issues I could identify would be (1) the bathroom is fairly modest (closer to a motel bathroom than a deluxe hotel); and (2) it took three calls to get my message light turned off. None of these detracted materially from the overall stay.

I'll be back.

Absolutely No Complaints

by TripAdvisor Member Susan2world

Spent a 4-day Columbus Day weekend at the Morrison House and absolutely loved it! We were not disappointed in any way with the hotel or service. Our room size was very adequate, the linens, bed, and bathroom divine. Our room service dinner was very good and hot. The hotel is just off King street - a great street for shopping and dining. King is dotted with every ethnic food, bakery and typical American cuisine. There are the usual Gap, Banana Republic-type stores in addition to vintage clothing stores, antiques, and resale shops. Don't forget to go by the hotel bar on Fri/Sat nights, there's a sing-a-long at the piano of old love songs, show tunes, etc. Can honestly say I've never run into so many people having such a good time together. Many are locals who come in every weekend to sing to their heart's delight!

Though it was a few minute drive by rental car to D.C., we enjoyed the ride and the scenery. The D.C./Alexandria/Georgetown area is truly beautiful and historically significant.

Exceptional Service

My husband and I stayed here for one night after a tiring day of packing up our apartment for a move out of the area. We chose Morrison House based on the positive reviews posted on this site, and we were not disappointed. We booked one of the promotional-rate rooms located on the (partially under-) ground floor. Our room was clean, comfortable, well-appointed, and quiet. While the upper-level rooms are presumably a bit grander, we found our room very pleasant and perfect for our purpose - getting a good night's sleep before a long drive the following day. Check-in was swift and simple, and the room service breakfast we ordered was tasty and delivered on time. The service we received from every individual we encountered during our stay was exceptional.

One cautionary note - as others have mentioned here, the location of this hotel may not be ideal for DC tourists or others relying on the Metro for getting around the area.

A mixed bag...

by TripAdvisor Member BenW

The Morrison House really tries hard with truly impeccable service, but there are some cracks in the facade. We spent two nights there on the government rate (I know, I know; how can I gripe for a 4 star at $153 a night.) The first night, we were in what my companion referred to as the 'servants' quarters. These are the subterranean, govt rate rooms that you take the elevator down to from the lobby. Since they are not the showcase rooms for the hotel, you can see that they are not as well maintained. I immediately asked if there was an above ground room that would be available. The friendly Lena advised me that there would be, but it would be $299 per night. I demurred, but she did say there would be a better room available the following night. This was a promise they followed through on and we were moved into a really nice room on the fourth floor the following day. They moved our luggage for us while we were gone. Again, the service was excellent and unobtrusive. Here are the problems:
a. The Grill restaurant was $290 for dinner for two and the food, while good, was just average, especially for the price (Thomas the waiter was excellent). We selected a $55 Pinot off the wine list which was very nice, but was at the lower end of the pricing scheme. The list is still way too top heavy in price, though they recently added lower price bottles after I wrote a letter to the manager (I previewed their wine list about a month before arrival on their website.)
b. The beds in both rooms were like sleeping in a monks; very hard and the second night bed actually tilted. They need to be replaced. I actually felt sore after sleeping on my side on the second night from the hardness of the bed.
c. The 'servants' quarters rooms are actually very noisy as the staff is very active early in the morning in the basement. Even the fourth floor room still had a bit of noise as we were near the elevator--loud clunking of wheels on the transom woke me at 9 am after a late night of going to bed.
d. It really is quite a hike to the Metro; this hotel is great for staying Alexandria, but not convenient to Washington (which I do not like to drive around in).
In closing, I do recommend this hotel, but only if you get a great rate. If you can get a good rate at the Willard or the Monaco and your business is in DC, stay there. If you want to concentrate on Alexandria, stay here. Just watch out for a hard nights sleep. Owee.

So good I felt guilty

by TripAdvisor Member bikes&boats

I stayed here for two weeks at the government rate (about $150) last Summer. For starters, thankyou fellow trip advisors for recommending this place. Once I confirmed that I could indeed get the rate, how could I not go for it. I had a room on one of the upper floors. Everything was comfortable and well kept. I guess there might have been a couple minor caulking/cracks in the bathroom. I also remember a chlorine smell to the water but that might be the city's fault. Last gripe was the expensive valet parking (I think it was $20/night), which is normal for downtown Alexandria hotels. I used it the first and last night so I wouldn't have to lug my luggage down the street. Otherwise it was easy enough to find free overnight street parking a couple blocks to the south after work. Street parking is harder if you are going to be leaving it there during day on a weekday.
Location was great. I spent each evening in town and ate out. Metro is not close but I knew that ahead of time and didn't need it. I didn't use the in house restaurant except for the free morning coffee as I headed out the door. Doormen always were friendly. Really make you feel great coming and going. Then, several times during the weeks there was something nice waiting for me when I got back to the room such as red or sparkling wine, fruit, or chocolate covered berries and walnuts. Nice touches.
I'm sure things are still great and would always stay there when returning to Alexandria. I feel bad for not writing this review last summer cause they deserve the good word. Obviously it was memorable enough that I am writing this now. Next time I'll have to make sure I bring my girlfriend to have someone to enjoy it with.

George Washington's Town

by msbrandysue

"Why Did I Come?"

I came to Alexandria when I was driving to my Connecticut road trip. It was a great drive from North Carolina. I'm so excited I stopped. It was really fun and so involved in the history of our country.

"My Favorite Part"

My favorite part was probably eating at Gadsby's Tavern where George Washington was rumored to have enjoyed often. The food was delicious and the ambiance was great. I toured the left side of the building (the right being the restaurant) and learned a lot about the historic times that our fore fathers built.

"Surprise Attraction"

The hotel I stayed in was fabulous! The Morrison House was quite the splurge but I enjoyed it so much.

Comments