Sheraton Suites Alexandria

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

• Gunner27's Profile Photo

Great Place to stay

Great Place to stay. Bed was very confortable. Suites are the only way to travel. Spent 1 Week, the staff were very friendly and the suttle to King St was a bonus. the only thing bad was that Reagan Airport is nearby, lots of planes during the day.

More about Sheraton Suites Alexandria

Great stay at the Sheraton Suites Alexandria

by TripAdvisor Member Pokymike

Recently had a two-night stay at the Sheraton Suites Alexandria. Hotel provides a shuttle to/from Reagan Int'l Airport where you can access the DC Metro (be sure to get a shuttle schedule as pick-up varies according to time of day). Room was well-appointed, with a separate seating area that had French doors opening to the bedroom--nice so you could read or watch TV without disturbing your sleeping partner. Staff was friendly and courteous--they allowed me to check in early. Location was a bit off the beaten track--7-8 blks to King St.--in a mostly residential neighborhood. A shuttle may be available--check with hotel staff. I did walk back from King St. late one night without incident. Restaurants and groceries within 1-2 blocks. Highly recommended, especially at a PL rate.

great for the money

by TripAdvisor Member bennettfamily

spent four days at the sheraton suites in alexandrea
a great deal
lovely modern immaculate room with an adjoining
small comfortable living room
nice fitness center , and immaculate large pool
location a little out of the way, but the transportaion to the metro was excellent while we were there.
staff was very nice and accomadaing.
would definitely stay again.

Great price and quiet room

by TripAdvisor Member Richelleh8

I got the room for $50/night from Priceline and it was a steal! The room was just like the pictures on Sheraton's website. Our room was very quiet. I felt like we had the hotel to ourselves. We couldn't hear anyone in the hallways or toilets flushing or any of the normal hotel noises.

We got there early and I called to see when we could check in and she said they have rooms available all the time, so we checked in before 12 noon.

We didn't eat in the restaurant or use the pool or exercise room, so I can't comment on them, although the breakfast buffet was $14.95, I think.

The area was safe to walk in and you can park on the street and save yourself the $18 parking fee. Just make sure to read the signs and park on the correct side of the street.

We walked down to King Street with no problem but did take a taxi back at night and it was $6.50.

The location is not in the middle of things so if you don't want to walk, then this hotel isn't for you, but if you don't mind a 10 minute walk and you can get a good rate from Priceline, I'd stay here again in a minute.

Recommended

The hourly shuttle is a little unpredictable, but the shuttle for the Holiday Inn Historic District on First street is only 3 buildings away, and it runs more often. Just hop on it from the airport or to the airport. They are happy to take your tip since they are going that way anyways. The free shuttle to King Street (harbor & sight seeing boats) is a joke.. they go only if they feel like they can spare a driver. We had to wait over an hour for our "Free shuttle upon demand". Rooms are VERY nice. Wendy's is a half block away, so is the Giant Brand grocery store. Kitty Corner behind the hotel is Royal Restaurant (very nice, for reasonable prices). Pool is clean and big. The entire hotel is extra clean. All the desk employees are foreigners who need to take English lessons. The entire city of Alexandria is hot spot wireless, so check your wireless card before purchasing internet time from a commercial vendor. Refrigerators in every room, also microwaves make it a better choice than other hotels. There is nothing historic about the neighborhood that I could see. There was also nothing seedy or dangerous about the neighborhood that I could tell. The free shuttle to the airport leaves on the hour. But the free shuttle to the airport from the Holiday Inn 3 buildings down also leaves on the half hour, so if you miss the Sheraton Shuttle you can walk across the parking lot to the Holiday Inn Historic District Hotel on first street and take their shuttle to the airport / metro. If you plan to see one of the shows at the Ford's Theatre, they give half off on the day of the play for senior citizens. The cost from the aiport metro station to downtown is $1.35, or you can get an all day pass for $6 with unlimited rides. If you plan to do a sightseeing tour, the one called TourMobile is $20 ($10 for kids), but all the other companies charge $30. TourMobile has a 2day pass for $30. Ask for a transfer at the metro station and you can use the "red connector" bus around the Smithsonian/Capitol Hill area for only 35 cents. All the Smithsonian museums are free, as are the special exhibits at the National Gallery. There are lots of tourist flyers at the lobby of the Sheraton, but the concierge is a robot that prints out a map. The employees at the desk were totally ignorant of tourist attractions. One girl told a guest she didn't know where the cherry trees were (They're by the Jefferson monument). Ask your congressman for a free guided tour of the capitol at least 3 months in advance. Ask your congressman or senator for a free guided tour of the White House at least 9 months in advance. If you take the free shuttle from the Sheraton to King Street (harbor) you can get a cruise to Mt. Vernon (George Washington's Mansion), a cruise around the Potomac, or a short excursion. The short excursion (40 minutes) cruise costs $11.

WILL NEVER GO BACK

by TripAdvisor Member mainecoast5

This hotel was not what i expected. We had reservations at another hotel and changed to go to this one because of the beautiful picture of the pool.. thought the kids would love it at night. The pool was empty when we arrived.. there was a problem.. that is understandable . things happen.
The manager told us we could go to another pool,, and when asked about a rate adjustment he said he would let us know in the a.m. after he spoke to his mgr. Every day he told us tomorrow .. until time was up. The hotel they sent us to was a holiday in. It was old, run done.. and there were only 6 or 7 chairs and they were all really dirty. The pool area was old and really dirty.
Everything was a fee.. internet use was a fee.. no coffee in the lobby.. pay 2.00 in the restauarant or walk to a coffee shop.
The waitresses at breakfast were awful.. rude.. and they rarely came to the table once we ordered buffett.. the gratuity is included in the check.. and after we added gratuity in error,, they never told us it was already included...
Shuttles were on a scheduled basis..not an as needed basis.. so you had to wait until they were ready to go.. not when you were ready to go..
The room was nice.. clean and the linnens typical sheraton quality.. no complaints there..
I Will probably NEVER go to a Sheraton again after this experience.

Good value, quiet location

by TripAdvisor Member GWMNewZealand

Stayed at the Sheraton Suites in Alexandria for four nights in late April and it was fine, apart from the pool being closed for repairs for the first three nights. The shuttle to Reagan Airport was good - easy access to DC on the metro from the airport. The suite was excellent, especially nice having the sitting room as well as the bedroom. Bed was supremely comfortable and bathroom very clean. The walk to the Old Town is very pleasant and lots of good restaurants down there. On our last night it was pouring with rain so we ducked across to the diner across the road from the hotel and that was a real American experience, good hearty food and 1950s decor. Good fun. The grocery store very close to the hotel was an added bonus. All in all I would definitely stay there again.

Nice hotel, but problems

by TripAdvisor Member auded

We booked because of the reviews on Trip Advisor. Upon arriving we were informed of an $18.00 charge per day for our car - rather expensive for a suburban location and nowhere will you find this information on their web page. The room is well appointed, but very crowded. I kept hitting my shins on the coffee table and in order to close the drapes you need to tuck them behind furniture. Of course the beds and pillows are wonderful which helps make up for the tight quaters. Food is so-so in the restaurant. We had problems with them honoring a 20% discount from Sheraton headquarters for the entire meal as stated. They wanted to honor the discount on the food, not the wine - and we didn't order an expensive one. Upon trying to cash a travelers check for $100.00 I was informed that they do not cash anything over $50.00, a rather stunning revelation. Since I had already made out the check to them, not expecting any problem, and after a lengthly and heated discussion they finally cashed the check. We travel extensively and have never encounted such a policy. Such may be expected at a Motel 6, but not a Sheraton. The staff is friendly and helpful. Quiet location and free shuttle to the Metro, but we wouldn't stay there again.

Sheraton Suites In Old Town Alexandria is a great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sandiegocindy

Loved this very spacious suite with a living room that included a microwave and mini-refrigerator. The rooms seemed very quiet and I liked the self parking underneath the hotel. Several restaurants nearby the hotel, but King St. is the place you'll want to hang out! Only a few miles to the Reagan National Airport. My only regret is that we didn't stay there during our entire trip. I purchased two rooms on Priceline for $55 per night, per room, plus tax. A great bargain!! Not sure how close it is to the Metro.
I definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again!

Hard to beat the Sheraton Suites...

by TripAdvisor Member carob

I needed two rooms in a reasonably priced hotel with a pool near DC for a trip with a 11-year-old nephew, 12-year-old niece and sister-in-law and this place was almost perfect. The free shuttle to and from the metor at National Airport was quiet convenient and very reliable. The room was spacious enough once we rearranged some of the furniture (we moved the coffee table out of the center of the room). I had called the hotel about parking and returned the rental car after checking in to avoid the $18.00/night parking fee. (I picked up a car on Saturday afternoon for our return trip and parked on the street one night - no charge.) We never ate at their restaurant, so I can't comment about the food. Everyone found something they liked at the Royal Restaurant and we ended up eating there almost everyday. My only concern was the lap pool since my nephew was looking forward to swimming, but he had a great time and closed the pool several nights with several new friends. Our primary destination was DC, but I think you could spend a couple of days walking through Old Town Alexandria and have a great time. I would stay here again - the separate bedroom is nice and the AAA rate made it very affordable. Two blocks down the street is a grocery store that is open late which was handy for bottled water, snacks, and emergency medical supplies.

Comments