1480 Crystal Drive, Arlington, Virginia, 22202, United States
Booking.com IHG Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Arlington

Mast of the USS MaineMast of the USS Maine

The food courtThe food court

Ri Ra Irish Pub in Clarendon area of ArlingtonRi Ra Irish Pub in Clarendon area of Arlington

Space Shuttle Columbia MemorialSpace Shuttle Columbia Memorial

Arlington National Cemetery

by neeraj0588

Hi

I don't know if this is an insensitive question, but we are going to be visitng the cemetery in the summer, and wanted to know what the view is on taking photos at the cemetery.

I just want a heads up on what the attitude about photography is there.

Thanks

RE: Arlington National Cemetery

by OiKnow

Photography is fairly common in Arlington at major memorials and grave sites. I would refrain from photographing a funeral in progress out of respect for the family.

David

RE: Arlington National Cemetery

by stamporama

As far as I know there's nothing inappropriate about taking photos in Arlington, except an ongoing burial as what the first poster mentioned. Visitors normally come to view the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as well the graves of the Kennedys.

RE: RE: Arlington National Cemetery

by neeraj0588

thanks for the info!

Re: Arlington National Cemetery

by chefkathleen

I am so glad you asked this. I have a uncle that is being buried on the 13th of July there with full military honors and was wondering if it would be alright if my husband took pictures of it. What does everyone think?

Travel Tips for Arlington

Plumb knackered

by b1bob

If you ever were curious on why I have such few nightlife tips, the included photo will tell the story by itself. The included photo wasn't staged, folks. No, I wasn't sozzled like I was my last night at university. I declined all offers of wine both here and at the restaurant. I was dog tired because I can never sleep the night before I know I have to get up much earlier than normal. Matt's invitation to go with them and personally show them Mount Vernon and then off to Dulles Airport to reclaim their lost luggage (and get their due compensation) made that necessary. I had planned on spending that night in my own bed in Mechanicsville, but I ended up missing my train and staying with Matt and the rest of the VT contingent at the Sheraton National hotel. I thought they would only stay up HALF the night. I collapsed up in the ballroom on the 16th floor. I don't know how I mustered the strength to take the lift down to our room on the 4th floor where I fell asleep for the rest of that night while they were still partying.

The One Armed Devil - Gen. Philip KEARNY

by jamiesno

I remember being in the Arlington Cemetary looking at the Kearny Equestrian Statue when all of a sudden a very proud American interested in history burst you how amazing this guy Kearny was. He had just read about him and told me of how he came from a wealthy family but chose to fight instead. He was a hero, brave and charged the enemy lines in defiance and got his arm blown off. A town in New Jersey was even named after him!

Hearing this American talk so proudly of an American war hero was symbolic of everything you see and feel in Washington. I did enjoy the quick history lesson and later read some more about Philip Kearny.

There is fine line between bravery and foolishness, one that Civil War hero General Philip Kearny consistently straddled during his career. His heroics have made him the stuff of legends, but he was flesh and blood, and subject to the same temptations, weaknesses and fears as the rest of us. His record on the field of battle was unblemished, but off the field was another story entirely. Here now is the true story of New Jersey's most famous fighter, General Philip Kearny.

If you search around the internet there is plenty to read on this fine fighter.

Virginia's Northern Piedmont Region

by Ewingjr98

The Piedmont Region of Virginia is a part of the East Coast's greater Piedmont region that stretches from New Jersey in the north to central Alabama in the south, through parts of nine states. The region is on the edge of the Appalachian Mountain, generally between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the "fall line," or areas of rapids or falls that marks the end of the navigable portion of the river from the ocean. Numerous towns grew up along the fall line including Richmond, VA; Trenton, NJ; Wilmington, DE; Baltimore, MD; Georgetown (in Washington DC); Petersburg, VA; Columbia, SC; and Augusta, GA. The US Piedmont region has diverse agriculture including tobacco, orchards, dairy farms, and other types of basic crops.

In Virginia, the North and South Piedmont areas are considered by some as distinct regions both geographically and culturally. Virginia's Northern Piedmont stretches from the falls of the Potomac, Rappahannock, and James Rivers to the Blue Ridge Mountains. The region is about 50 miles wide and 100 miles long. At its northern corners are the major cities of Washington, D.C., and Harpers Ferry, West Virginia; on the southern corners, Charlottesville and Richmond, Virginia. It encompasses the counties of Loudoun, Fauquier, Prince William, Culpeper, Madison, Greene, Orange, Louisa, Albemarle and Fluvanna in Virginia. This area even has its own dialect called the Virginia Piedmont.

During my drives through the Northern Piedmont Region, I have noticed that the areas closer to the Blue Ridge Mountains tend to be poorer and more hilly, while closer to the ocean is flat and generally more wealthy, particularly nearer to Washington, DC.

VT - breakfast

by matcrazy1

After late night adventures, we all (Urszula, Kathy, Chris, Nat and I) got up a little bit late. The next great and sunny day started a few hours ago. Our special offer from Priceline didn't include any breakfast. But, we had a lot of food brought from far Atlanta and Dallas.

While Urszula tasted some sweet chocolates Chris took care about our makeshift sink fridge which had to be emptied for our morning washings.Wow, he found the last can of famous Tyskie beer, smuggled from my hometown Tychy, Poland a few days before. Most of us had those goldfish crackers brought from Atlanta which went excellent with a little bit of Tyskie beer while Nat finished off the Tipsy Cake.

Memorial Day

by cjg1

During the Memorial Day weekend we observed soldiers adorning each grave with an American Flag. It created a stunning appearance to see rows and rows of graves with flags; it was indeed an amazing sight to see.

Comments