Oakwood Metropolitan Pentagon City

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Arlington

President Kennedy Grave & Eternal FlamePresident Kennedy Grave & Eternal Flame

Going up the escalator out of the stationGoing up the escalator out of the station

Arlington HouseArlington House

Fort HaggartyFort Haggarty

Travel Tips for Arlington

b1bob's first VT meeting

by b1bob

For my first 3 years on VT, I had been sceptical about attending VT meetings simply because you never know who might turn up. I didn't even plan on attending this one. The perfect set of circumstances came together to make it possible. For the previous couple of days, I was showing Matt and Urszula around my part of the world. I figured they would leave on Friday morning and that would be the last I would see or hear from them until their last night in the States when it would make perfect sense to stay here before driving the 100 miles (160 km.) to Dulles on the way home to Poland. The night before, Matt said, "Why don't you join us?" I said I would and I showed them Mount Vernon and I went with them to Dulles to make sure they could retrieve their lost luggage and get compensated for what they had to buy here the first night. The original plan was for me to go home on the train, but Northern Virginia traffic (see associated tip) intervened. I missed that train (the last one) and Matt said, "Why don't you stay with us?" I did and I ended up meeting Kodi01, balfor, and later Dabs. Despite the clear directions, we had a time finding both the hotel and the Jaleo restaurant (see associated tip). Poor Kristi waited for us for more than 2 hours (we were either caught in traffic or plumb lost). She was fixing to leave when we finally figured out what we were doing. I'm glad she stayed. Sometimes, the unexpected is better than when things go according to Cocker.

Claremont Neighborhood and Historic District

by Ewingjr98

Arlington County has 55 locations on the National Register of Historic Places that cover over 9,000 buildings.

The county's newest historic neighborhood is the Claremont Historic District. It was designated on August 31, 2006 and includes 125 cade cod style houses and 114 colonial revival style houses built from 1946 to 1949 as well as 36 ranch houses constructed in 1934.

Claremont is located in southwestern Arlington County just north of the King Street-Interstate 395 interchange along the borders of Fairfax County and Alexandria. This area is bounded by South Dinwiddie Street, South Chesterfield Road, South Buchanan Street, South Culpeper Street, 25th Street South, 24th Street South, 23rd Street South, and 22nd Street South. The neighborhood is marked at the entrances by signs displaying this historic designation.

Meeting with friends, part 4

by b1bob

In April, 2005, my friend Lee and I got up with the chickens one Monday morning to go to Arlington to attend the debate between two candidates for Virginia Attoeney General. The debate took place at the George Mason University School of Law in downtown Arlington. We stopped at Krispy Kreme in Richmond for a quick doughnut breakfast and got to Arlington an hour and a half later with plenty of time to find a parking slot and find our way to the debate. After both candidates presented themselves before the audience, Lee and I had our pictures taken with former Gov. Jim Gilmore, who moderated the debate.

en español, en français, em português

Be Respectful When Visiting Arlington Cemetery

by cjg1

When visiting Arlington National Cemetery; remember it is a cemetery. Be respectful and don't try to climb or invade the grave/tomb spaces. Be silent or speak in low tones when in areas of mourning such as the JFK Memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Remember this is an active cemetery and somewhere everyday there is a sodier buried here.

During our last visit several guardsmen had to remind visitors to be silent or not to touch or climb memorials. People just do not respect rules anymore....

Yes, Arlington is ful of tourists and it's fine to take pictures but do be respectful; these are graves and monuments in a cemetery; not DisneyWorld.

No downtown but...

by matcrazy1

There is no downtown (centre) in Arlington which is, as I already stated, a county with no city inside. Instead there are two areas which look like a downtown. They are located around key metro stations and along metro lines :

1. between Rosslyn (on my picture) and Ballston - MU metro station (along Wilson Blvd to N. Fairfax Dr = SR-237)

2. between Pentagon and Reagan Washington National Airport metro station (along Jefferson Davis Hwy) - this area south of I-395 is called Crystal City.

From the visitor's point of few it's important to know that most hotels and restaurants are located just in this two areas.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Never ask about downtown Arlington, there is none. Ask about metro station, the airport (National Airport), specific point (Fort Myer, Arlington Cemetery, Pentagon) or street. Keep in mind that there are other, historical names of particular parts of Arlington county in common use like for example, already mentioned, Crystal City or Rosslyn.

Comments