801 North Glebe Road, Arlington, Virginia, 22203, United States
Priceline.com Booking.com Westin.com

More about The Westin Arlington Gateway

Nice Stay

by TripAdvisor Member VoyageFromNYC

We just returned from a three night stay at the Westin Arlington Gateway. The hotel is very clean and the rooms have a understated sleek/modern look to them. It isn't an over-the-top luxury property, but it is more than nice. The staff was very helpful and considerate. We found the overall level of service better than expected. The one thing we found lacking was the food, as it was satisfactory at best. All-in-all, we would return for a stay in the future.

Georgia Girls having a Blast in D.C.

by TripAdvisor Member SouthernGirl22

The Westin Arlington Gateway Hotel was wonderful!!!! A couple of my girlfriends and I went to the D.C. area for a girl's getaway and we had a GREAT time (thanks to the staff at the Westin). We arrived at the hotel very late however check-in flowed just fine and we were able to get into our room very quickly. The entire staff went far beyond expectations in all efforts to provide us with top notch service. With every request (from directions, extra towels, info about Metro, questions about the nightlife, etc) the staff was prompt and friendly. The decor was simply lovely, the bed and double-head shower divine, and the TV a work of art. The wonderful service did not stop at the hotel... the ladies at the Starbucks were a delight. With every visit to the D.C. area, I plan to stay at this Westin.

Extremely Satisfied...almost Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member OlympusNYC

My first review after getting so much from reading all of yours in helping me select a hotel. Here are the highlights.

Goal was to find a clean hotel with good service for our Cherry Blossom weekend stay in Washington, DC.

Came across the Westin Arlington Gateway doing various travel site web searches. Found that Expedia had it for $179 per night, Starwood had it for $209 per night. Booked in on Starwood and leveraged their Best Rate Guarantee resulting in their meeting the price + a 10% discount...thus, paid $159 per night. So, do your homework. Think I got a good/fair price.

Words of warning...if you book on SPG.COM, the reservation cannot be modified or cancelled without penalty..they were very strict about this so I couldn't improve on the already good deal that I had. This became clear because the hotel itself had some specials (e.g.- Cherry Blossom Weekend Special) unique to their hotel on their hotel's website (buried in SPG.COM ) that I couldn't subsequently take advantage of (turns out they had no rooms for that rate anyway) so just be sure you check out all deal before committing. Related and specific to SPG...when you click on current SPG.COM special offers...it does not show you the specials for each hotel...only those being offered across all hotels so drill down to the hotel you want and click on that particular hotel's special offers.

Hotel is located in Ballston, VA...just outside of Arlington proper. Area looked like a mix of modern apartment buildings, some office buildings, and I noticed a Hilton hotel nearby. Nice area with a large shopping mall down the block and lots of restaurants inside the mall and in the surrounding area outside. It is an easy (3 short blocks) walk to the Metro (Orange line, Ballston stop) and a $21 taxi ride from Union Station (went down by Amtrak). Also, you can take the metro from Ballston to Rosslyn and then walk over the Arlington bridge into DC (Lincoln Memorial)...was an excellent recommendation from the Concierge.

Very nice room and when we asked if they can give us a large room, the gave us a corner room with an alcove. Room was quite clean (though see my note below), modern furnishings, large flat screen TV, signature Westin Heavenly beds, double shower head. Used the hotel swimming pool with our 2 kids...large pool but only 3'6" deep (was not a problem for us) and a whirlpool. Did not use the gym but looked nice. Hotel lobby was always stocked with fresh pears and bottled water for the taking (we took many). Also, they left out towels and Propel water for joggers.

OK..my complaints. We made 4 requests (two prior to checking in and two after we arrived) over a two day period for a baby crib..it did not show up until 10pm the night we checked in...and long after our infant fell asleep. Also, we notice an open/used/empty can of trail mix inside the closed up on a shelf..perhaps out of view of the cleaning person. But, other than that, the room was very clean.

Staff was very friendly, helpful, and welcoming.

Did not try the hotel restaurant but it looked nice. Room service charges looked pricey which is usually par for the course.

My sense is the the hotel probably caters more to business folks than families but it wasn't a problem. Would easily stay there again and would recommend it to friends and family.

Regards.

wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member swissriver

This hotel was just wonderful! Our room was tastefully decorated in a modern soothing way. The beds had crisp, clean, white bedding with fluffy pillows and comforter. It was very comfortable to sleep on. There was a very nice flat screen tv. The shower had duel shower heads with shampoos that had a refreshing smell. The sink countertop was granite. Overall, the room was absolutly spotless, quiet, and beautiful.

We decided to eat in the downstairs restraunt and lounge with our 9 year old daughter. The atmosphere was relaxing and we enjoyed sitting on the comfortable sofas while eating. The soup was excellent as was the healthy plate of fruits and veggies. Service was fast, polite, and professional.

The staff throughout the hotel were professional, and friendly. The concierge was very helpful in providing directions, restraunt locations etc. When our safe malfunctioned and wouldn't open, a repair man was there in less than five minutes and had it open right away.

This hotel is located near the metro in a nice area of town.

Great rooms and what about that TV!

by TripAdvisor Member AtTheBackOfThePlane

I've stayed here six times since it opened. It's a nice modern hotel and the only thing that stops me rating it as excellent is the consistently slow restaurant service especially at breakfast.

The rooms I've had have always been well equipped and in the condition you'd expect in a new hotel even though some have uninspiring views and the much hyped Heavenly Bed lives up to its billing being so seductive it's difficult to get out of in the morning.

The well lit bathrooms are supplied with a thick robe and a range of branded toiletries and the double head shower is habit forming.

The desks are well set up for business users with enough power outlets for all your essential gadgets.

Best of all is the high Definition LCD TV in each room. Unwind on a business trip by watching a movie whilst luxuriating in bed and you'll agree, the Westin is setting the pace for Arlington hotels.

Excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member mbtafan

Pros:

Computer Friendly—in my room there was a power surge and a wired internet connection.

Cool Entertainment—there was a decent sized LCD TV in my room. It made for great entertainment on a rainy day.

Comfortable beds—the plus pillow top Westin Heavenly Bed facilitates deep sleep.

Environmentally friendly—the Westin gives you the option of getting your sheets washed every night or conserving water.

Great décor—the room was tastefully and simple. I got a corner room—room 808, I think. The room was rather large and had a corridor entrance, though that most be a feature unique to corner rooms. Plus the note pads in the room were really cool—they featured different animals.

Great service—the maid, the Concierge, and check-in staff was exceptionally friendly

Many Food Options—the Starbucks in the hotel is a reasonable priced breakfast option. Also, the Ballston mall is a block down the street. It has a decent food court. And across the street is P.F. Changs. As for water, the hotel charges a large sum for a bottle of water in the rooms, but in there is complementary cold mint, lemon, and lime water along with pears in the lobby.

Decent Bathroom—there was an ample supply of shampoos in the bathroom. Someone mentioned the lack of ventilation in the bathroom. Although there is no fan that you can control, there is a ventilation duck in the bathroom that is constantly working.

Nice weekend rate—I paid $129 a night+ tax as an AAA member.

Convenient Transportation—the Concierge is more than happy to call a cab. The hotel is also a few blocks from the Ballston Metro Station. A train ride to D.C. takes only about twenty minutes. There is also an entrance/exit for I-66 nearby. If you decide to come to this hotel from IAD—Dulles (like I did), you can take a coach bus from Dulles that’s $9 a ticket and then transfer to the Metro at West Falls Church and take it to the Ballston Metro Station.

New, clean building—it was probably built a few months ago. Smoking is prohibited in the building which makes for a clean atmosphere. The lobby was cozy, yet open and modern.

Con:

The area is luxury apartment buildings and office buildings, however, for some reason at night there weren’t many people around (on a Saturday night at least). If you are not traveling with another person, you might want to take a cab to and from the hotel. But the ride for such a cool hotel is well worth it! However, the area is still under construction. There is a used-car dealership that is being demolished across the street and an office building is being constructed down the street. The area looks like it is going to be very developed in a few years.

Secrets: Get a Starwoods Preferred Guest card, get a view of the cool urban courtyard in the back of the hotel!

Got Tub?

by TripAdvisor Member VS3

I must be spoiled but I usually stay at the Westin because of the huge soaking tubs. This one has none. Pretty property but you can tell it is a made over previous hotel. Staff was over the top and beds were outstanding but rooms cramped.

Just what I needed

by TripAdvisor Member TeddyBear03

I stayed here last week on business, and it was quite a respite from my busy days at the office. I looked forward to "going home" each night! It's close to my office which is a hug plus. The rooms are sleek and modern. The beds are comfy, although the down linens get to be a bit much. Very hot! I loved the dual shower head. The restaurant downstairs was excellent. The staff was very friendly. Overall, this is a very nice, clean, modern hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

Zen in Arlington

by TripAdvisor Member Dotties_mom

I think the Westin opened pretty recently so the hotel is in great physical shape but there are still some bumps in service - but the staff generally works to be accommodating. The decor from the lobby through the guest rooms is very calming and understated which is a nice change of pace from everything going on outside - the complete ban on smoking is great for guests (although I saw groups of staff huddled shivering out behind the hotel during a particularly cold week in March). One complaint that I did mention to the management was the preferential treatment given to a several businessMEN who arrived to check in at the same time I did shortly after another businessWOMAN - don't presume that the gentlemen's time is more valuable than my time, that I am not a preferred member of the hotel's loyalty program etc.

Great for pet owners!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member kndGeorgia

Lovely Lovely Lovely!! I love sheraton properties because I can bring my pets and this is the best one ever!! Too much great stuff to list!!

Arlington National CemeteryArlington National Cemetery

One of the "specialty shops"One of the "specialty shops"

Busboys and PoetsBusboys and Poets