Virginian Suites

Costs 24% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Virginian Suites

Very satisfied

by TripAdvisor Member candi-lee

Stayed two nights with husband and son. Loved the charming Arlington neighborhood-like location. Close to the Iwo Jima monument --very impressive, the National Cemetary and Pentagon. With the bedroom window open at night, you can hear Taps from the Army base in the distance. Hotel is walking distance to the Metro and a few restaurants. The Metro was very usable and affordable to get to downtown DC. The Virginian Suites was really more than we needed for a two night stay. Very spacious and roomy. For the price, we were very satisfied. About the breakfast: not the greatest but it was included in our price. I don't know how much it was but I wouldn't recommend paying over $3.

Liked it

by TripAdvisor Member Steinera

In october 2006 I spent 3 night at the Virginian suites.
The rooms are very big although I had a single and I presume the doubles are even bigger. I never got to use the kitchen but it had absolutely everything you could need. I was very nice to have a whole area with sofa and table to sit down (this does not include the table meant for dining).
The rooms were very clean and service was quick, efficient and nice (the battery in the safe had gone low and it took 5 minutes to fix).
The bathroom seems a bit spare at first sight but it is nice and so are the soaps, schampo and other things in it (everything was renewed every day, which is unusual).
On of the best things was the breakfast: huge buffet that would make anyone happy: pastries and corn flakes to eggs, bagel and cheese. And tables to sit down.
I can find only two problems: the distance to the metro is supposedly 7 minutes-which is correct if you walk very quickly. In the freezing cold of an october morning it was unpleasant. Getting into the center of Washington (Metro center) took an average of 25 minutes.
I paid 195 per night which I think is a bit steep but then at this time of year all hotels are very expensive.
This hotel is perfect for families with cars (there are not too many things within walking distance of the hotel).
I wanted a hotel in Washington but could not afford the prices and being in the same situation again, I would be happy to spend my next stay at the Virginian suites

Good Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member bjyokums

We enjoyed our stay at the virginian suites hotel. It was very basic, no frills, but clean. Decent location with reasonable walk to the Roslyn metro. Shuttle service runs during the week only. Plenty of parking at the hotel and the hotel itself is easy to find off route 50. We would stay there again but we would stay during the week even though it costs more per night. Really crowded in dc on the weekends. The metro is easy once you get the hang of it. People/tourists at the ticket machine will help decipher it if you look confused enough. Be sure to help others once you get it. Take LOTS of dollar bills as these machines don't make change. Cabs are actually rather reasonable too and the cabbies that we encountered were very nice. The traffic near/getting into dc was ok when we hit it. Not much crazy driving like you find in NYC. All in all, a good trip for us but be prepared to walk, walk, walk.

Not a good review for this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rpmat

We stayed at the Virginian this weekend on a trip to Washington DC because of it's proximity to the attractions, and since we were travelling as a family. We found it through the online booking system, otherwise it was fairly obscure. I have never regretted it so much.

First of all, the laides at the reception in the night were not particularly friendly. They were uncommunicative, if not hostile - something you do not want to see after driving 10 hours from New England with a 2 year old in the back seat. The ones in the morning were better, but they would be the management.

Secondly, they made us pay for parking, which no hotel in any major metropolitan area ever does, for paying guests.

Thirdly, the suite looked like the bed had not been changed or the sheets washed for a while. I was bitten badly by bed bugs and my toddler woke up a lot. She was really uncomfortable in either the bed or the pull out sofa. It looks nice and was spacious, but boy was it a rough night.

In the morning, the gas on the stove refused to work and the shower had cold water coming out. When I called and complained, they sent someone to fix it and voila, it started working right away. My guess is that they had turned off the hot water and the gas, and only turned it on when we complained.

In the morning, when we went down and asked for breakfast, we were told that Expedia bookings do not get breakfast. However, my booking e-mail does not mention that and their website highlights their breakfast. They offered to sell us breakfast for $7 each, but I declined, figuring that it would not be anything great , other than breads, coffee and watered down juice. The cafeteria at the Smithsonian and the vendors out on the Mall had pretty good fare for the same price.

As a veteran business traveller who has stayed at many hotels, from dumpy to swanky, in every corner of this country, I find that the Virginian Suites is much less comfortable for the price we pay. The next night, we stayed at a less spacious but more comfortable Sleep Inn and it was much better.

From the other comments, it seems they treat online customers not as well as their "regular" ones. They should remember that hotel room nights are a perishable commodity, and if not for online customers, they would not make the money otherwise. Also that today's budget traveller is tommorow's business traveller with an expense account. Hotel chains like the Choice Hotels and Marriott nowadays are improving their offerings and facilities all the time. It is time Virginian Suites caught up.

Like home...

by TripAdvisor Member robjennings61

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR... and I got more.

At one time the building was apartments and studios. As a converted hotel, it is comfortable - lots of space. Big closet for a hotel and the kitchen is a real plus.

I found the service to be very average - not really friendly, but I didn't care. I thought the price was exceptional - EXCEPTIONAL for the room and the location.

LOVED the location. It really is like having a home right across the river from D.C.

The room was clean. I was only there three days and put a "do not disturb" sign on the door. I'm clean... didn't need to burden the housekeeping staff.

I did sneek in for the breakfast (I wasn't suppose to have it). I justified it because I didn't have housekeeping and I didn't eat much. It was okay... I'm not sure I would have been willing to pay the additional price.

But the size, price and location made it a heavenly place for me. So much so... I moved to Arlington!

Now here's the truth about this place

by TripAdvisor Member fjderosa

This hotel is very old. My wife and 3 month old daughter and I are staying here for over a month. One elevator was inoperative for approximately 2 weeks. (They only have 2 elevators) The bathroom is very small, and the shower heads are low volume. The kitchenette was lacking in many items such as an oven grate, collander and several other convenience items. The power went out several times so far during my stay. Usually the power outages last less than a minute, but this one time it went out for hours and a gentleman was stuck in the elevator for the entire time on the 8th floor. I have experienced two false fire alarms. Once it was in the middle of the night and I had to rush my family down eight floors only to find out that it was due to an elevator malfunction. I looked out the peephole on my door one time to see who was knocking and I saw that the glass was shattered. When I mentioned it to the front desk they told me they would check it out, but so far they haven't done a thing. I'm still here and I'm checking out on the 14th of Sept. 2006 so there's plenty of time for the management to make my stay worse.

Great location, good value

by TripAdvisor Member grandhar

This hotel came highly recommended by friends who had stayed there previously and we were not disappointed. I would suggest purchasing the "district package" as it gives you a little bit more , ie. Tourmobile passes, free parking, breakfast daily in their spacious lounge, outdoor pool (closes Labor Day week-end), shuttle bus on weekdays to the Rosslyn Metro Stn, daily newspaper at your door every morning and there was even a work-out gym on the 3rd floor. Our reservations were for 4 nights and we were so pleased that we extended for a 5th night. The rooms were very comfortable, spacious living/dining and kitchen was fully equipped. We would definitely stay again. The rooms were spotless and staff very accomodating. We arrived early, not expecting early check-in but was given a room within a half-hour. What more could you ask for but a great start to an enjoyable holiday in Washington.

Smelly room(s)

by TripAdvisor Member AlisterF

The front desk service was great. They moved us (after we complained) from our initial placement in a room which smelt TERRIBLE (a ground floor suite that had a damp, wet smell that permeated every room). However, we were moved to another room where only the kitchen smelt. If you turned on the sink, a smell would emerge that suggested something had long since died in the plumbing.

We may have been the unluckiest travellers in this hotel, but we elected not to chance a second night. We booked for two nights and ended up staying for just one.

We were very disappointed as the rooms were large, and the hotel seemed to have everything we could want - walking distance to good transport into the heart of DC. There are too many hotels in DC for us to risk trying a third room in this place. Sorry!

Gas Leak Not Addressed; Serious Security Issues; Irresponsible Service

by TripAdvisor Member tpBoston

I stayed at this hotel with a large group of college students during our recent spring break trip to Washington, DC. The hotel had been chosen because it was willing to give us a discount since we needed a block of rooms, and it was relatively convenient to our chosen destinations in DC.

A problem arose immediately upon my arrival; the desk clerk had trouble finding my reservation, and when he thought he had found it, it was the name of another guest whose last name was spelled similarly to mine. I corrected him and he then gave me a card key for my presumed room. I went to the room, opened the door, and it was quite apparent that another guest was already occupying that room. I proceeded down to the front desk and told the desk clerk that the room was already occupied. He started to say that the hotel likes to make the room seem welcoming by leaving the radio on. I explained that the room had the TV on and there was luggage in it. He seemed confused, but started searching for an alternate room. As it happened, there was a woman at the front desk at the same time, asking if a package had arrived for her. The person waiting on her was having trouble locating the package, and I overheard the guest telling the clerk her room number--it was the room that I had just been sent to, and it turned out she was the guest who had the similar-sounding last name! So right off the bat, though I had insisted that I was not that guest, the staff person still sent me to the room that had been assigned to her, even though she had already checked in. If I had been a dishonest person or had some other negative intent, that breach in security could have had serious implications for that guest.

But let me get to an even more egregious lapse on the part of the staff.

The rooms are actually suites, equipped with small kitchens with gas stoves. At 5 pm one evening I was ready to leave for a dinner engagement and I smelled gas in the kitchen. I immediately rang the front desk and someone from housekeeping was sent up. She fiddled with the burners and each burner lit, but the smell persisted, and I thought there could be a leak in the connecting pipe. She said the hotel engineer was not there but she would get someone to come. I had to leave at that point, and I expected that the problem would be addressed while I was out. I returned at about 11:30 pm and still smelled gas in the kitchen. I went down to the desk clerk and explained what had happened earlier. He summoned another individual of indeterminate function who came up to my room and smelled the gas as well. I told him I did not feel comfortable staying the night in that room, and he said I could change rooms, and that the desk clerk would call me. Ten minutes went by, with no call. Of course, by this time it was approaching midnight; it had been a long day, and I needed to get some sleep. I went back down to the front desk and there was no one visible, but I could hear talking behond a closed door. I called "Excuse me" twice, but no one responded. Another traveler came in, needing to check in. I was becoming frustrated, so I pounded loudly on the door, and the desk clerk showed up, looking irritated. I indicated that I was told that I could change rooms, that it was late and I needed to get to bed. He sid they were trying to find something but the computer system had been down, yada yada. I was becoming impatient and said that I thought the fire company should be called; he said he did not see a need for that. Finaly he sent me and the other indeterminate staff person back upstairs with a card key for another room.

As luck would have it, the card key did not work in the swiper. The staff person went back downstairs, and again, disappeared. I waited for another 10-15 minutes, and was getting extemely irritated by this completely inconsiderate and un-service-oriented behavior on the part of the hotel staff. I went back to the lobby, and lo and behold, who was on scene but the fire department!!!

I asked them if they were there to check on the gas leak in my room. hey said there were there for another reason but they'd come up, which they did. hey could smell the gas smell but their meter did not seem to gauge any kind of serious leak. Since they indicated that the room would not be unsafe to stay in, I decided not to move to another room.

By the time the firemen left it was 1 am. This entire situation took about 1 1/2 hours to resolve, which is certainly much lengthier than it should have taken given the potentially serious problem that needed to be addressed. I find this completely unacceptable and disturbing that the staff was cavalier about my safety and comfort and the safety of other guests.

The bottom line is: I would never stay at this hotel again, and I would not recommend that others put themselves through this kind of experience. DC has a plethora of hotels, so why stay at a place like this?

Spacious

by TripAdvisor Member Andteach

This is the only way to see Washington DC. The Virginia Suites are huge and include a kitchen that truly is totally equiped. There is a large comfortable L-shaped living room/ dining room, a separate bedroom and a small, but very functional kitchen. The kitchen is stocked with paper towels, dish cloths, a dishwasher and detergents. On site parking was only $7/ day---a real bargain in this area.
The location is ideal. From the Virginia Suites you can see the Iwo Jima Memorial and look across the Potomac at the Washington Monument. During the week, a complimentary shuttle connects to the Rosslyn Metro, but it is only a ten minute or so walk to the station. In another 10 minutes, you can cross the Key Bridge into Georgetown. From the Rosslyn Metro station, $1.35 gets you to the Smithsonian Mall.
Our only "complaint" was that the bathrooms were rather small and could have used an updating, but that was a minor point considering all the positives.

Arlington National CemeteryArlington National Cemetery