4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

The Boar's Head
Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Classic luxury

We were treated like distinguished royal guests...even though we weren't quite sure of which wine to order:-)! Meal was fabulous, service second to none. The rooms were very comfortable and understatedly elegant and the grounds were perfect. No doubt about it - it was expensive but we felt like it was worth every penny after we'd been there an hour and we had the best most peaceful vacation ever. Discovered it in this great new magazine http://www.CharlottesvilleWelcomeBook.com

Unique Quality: Loved the gardens, duck pond, golf, spa and even an antiques store all just a stroll away.

Directions: West side of town near JPJ arena and UVA, football stadium.

• vilkas's Profile Photo

There are hotels, motels and...

There are hotels, motels and B&B's aplenty; for more luxurious accomodation try the Boar's Head Inn, a nice place with everything you could want including a good restaurant.

More about Boar's Head Inn

Bad customer service

by TripAdvisor Member demhi

This place is terrible. We had an overpriced dinner on Valentine's Day with snobby service. Now they won't let us book a room for our anniversary on Nov. 12 because it coincides with a stupid UVA football game; we would have to book two nights when we won't even be in town the first night! Let's hope UVA loses and the Boar's Head has an empty room!

The Perfect Country Getaway from the Big City

by TripAdvisor Member CarolineW

My fiance and I just finished our second trip to the Boar's Head Inn. We live in Washington DC and both have stressful jobs and it is the PERFECT getaway to de-stress and relax. The first time we stayed here we were upgraded to a beautiful suite as we checked in late and it was the only room they had left so we were set to be a little bit disappointed with a regular room this time. We were so pleasantly surprised and happy with our room this 2nd time. It was in the "Ednam Conference Room" wing off to the side of the main inn. Yes, you have to drive to it and bring you own bags in but that's why this place is called a resort/inn and not a hotel. Our room was on the 2nd floor though it was large, spacious, very nicely furnished and the 4 poster bed was firm and comfy and the bathroom with the marble sink was a good size too. We had an ample sized porch - didn't overlook a lake though I was just happy to have a balcony. We loved the pool that was near the spa. The pool isn't heated but that was okay - it was just nice to have an outdoor pool option that was for the guests that didn't have children and were looking for more quiet and relaxing pooltime (the other pool is heated & adjacent to the sports club and is made for swim meets and races though many families go to that pool since it is larger). And to top it all off - the gym was large and had everything you would need, along with tennis facilities and nice walking grounds. We would take a nice walk around the grounds at sunset and actually saw 3 deer cross our trail one night. We usually stay at hotels like Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons though really like this hotel for a weekend getaway and the country feel to it. Oh - and as I stated before, we came here to destress so we ate room service every morning and night and the food was always delicious and service gracious. On another note - we recommended this place to a friend of ours who arranged their small wedding here. They said it was the perfect place in terms of atmosphere and the most accommodating employees to work with to make their occasion memorable.

Very nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member dba74

Just returned from a Friday night stay with my girlfriend from D.C.

We had a very enjoyable time, and particularly enjoyed the restaurant and lounge. Room was very comfortable and quiet.

Only negative might be the pool area was not very well kept (leaves, etc) and there are no servers out there, but I think it might be because they are closing it for the season soon.

Beautiful Stay at the Boar's Head!

by TripAdvisor Member TracyCAL

I went to the Boar's Head for my anniversary and was very pleasantly surprised. I have stayed at many five star hotels and upscale b&b's. Boar's Head was very elegant and beautiful. We were given a room on the lake in the main inn. The room was very clean and sized nicely. The ammenities were very nice - great toiletries, two robes, etc.. We ordered room service for breakfast and it arrived within 15 minutes of our call. The resort fee included a wine tasting on Friday night and afternoon tea at 4:00. It is a very romantic place and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I would stay again at the Boar's Head. I can't really find a bad thing to say about this place.

Nice place, pompous employee

I am a Food and Travel editor and I stayed at the Inn anonymously this past summer. I had a nice stay; the food was very good as were the accommodations. At the end of my stay, I asked to meet with a representative from the marketing department. The front desk was nice enough to contact someone. I waited and waited about 30-40 minutes. A young girl with dark hair (who falsely goes by the title of marketing and communications manager) met me in the lobby and proceeded to take me into the bar area to speak with her. She seemed polite enough at first but then suddenly seemed as if she cared less about myself, my stay, or representing such a nice resort. She abruptly seemed very rushed and a little aloof, arrogant and in a big hurry as well. She rather rudely ended our meeting after only a few minutes and told me that she would send me a press kit for my article.

It has now been almost 5 months and no press kit. I called once and left a message with the marketing department to send a press kit but never received one.

It is a nice spot for a Washingtonian get away and the staff is very friendly. I wish that I could have written about it and shared my experience with travelers but I did not have sufficient information to do so. What a shame.
Alice M. Alexandria

Mixed feelings about Boar's Head Inn

by TripAdvisor Member carlv247

We arrived at the Inn just before 9pm after a long drive. The front desk attendant (Justin) was very welcoming and professional at first. He gave me all the necessary details of the room and the dining options. What he failed to mention was that the main restaurant closes at 9pm. He suggested the Bar/Grill for a lighter fare if we wanted something simple, but they allow smoking after 9pm so that was out of the question. The room service menu is very limited, so we drove into town for a late evening snack. Still at check-in, Justin explained that they didn't stock the minibars in the rooms but that he would make sure that anything I chose from their list would be delivered to the room promptly. I checked some items, but they never made it to the room.

The hotel certainly has a nice ambiance, and I guess it is worth the $229 that we spent for a one night King bed regular room (nice yet simple decorations, but an awfully loud Trane heater/A/C unit that kept me up most of the night). I was disappointed though, that when I called to make the reservation and asked about the B&B specials listed on the Web site ranging from $160 to $404, on a not-fully-booked winter weekend the only option was a $323 King room, and without breakfast? $229. That's right, almost $100 for breakfast. Since they charge $14.50 a head for the buffet, I wonder what all the fuss is about. They also didn't upgrade us at check-in. The room we got was cold and there was no welcome note or anything special.

At check out we received a $50 discount coupon towards a future stay. These things are always red flags for me. We are going to check out the other options in the area before returning to the Boar's Head Inn.

Not What We Expected

by TripAdvisor Member Loriva

We are not cranky people and we did not enjoy our stay. We found our room in the Main Inn to be average. The comfy "throw" was a threadbare piece of cloth lying at the foot of the bed and the bathrobes felt like sandpaper. The bathroom was nice although the tub was small (not what we thought we were getting accoring to the pictures on the web site). Surprising that spa samples are not provided as part of the tolietries. We had drinks in the Bistro, which we found cozy and inviting - and the food looked very good - we would recommend staying there for a meal. We did not enjoy our dinner in the Mill Room, we felt that the staff was not knowledgeable about the food or wine, not interested in discussing the meal and rushed us throughout. We also ordered room service for breakfast and was not impressed with how it arrived (late and on a single tray, we had no table in our room to eat at), although it ended up being one of the better meals. There are nicer, more reasonably priced inns to stay in the area, especially if you are not taking advantage of the sports facilities.

Beautiful and relaxing....staff could use some work

by TripAdvisor Member EmilyV227

My recent stay at the Boar's Head Inn was, overall, very lovely. The location cannot be beat and the hotel itself is beautiful. I was traveling with my mother and we had a very relaxing trip. Our room had a lovely balcony which overlooked the lake....it was gorgeous and very peaceful. We had lunch one day at the buffet, which was one of the best lunches I've had in a long time. We had dinner in The Old Mill Room, which was also very good and the service was excellent. Room service breakfast the next morning was also prompt and excellent. I even got a nasty paper cut and within minutes of calling the front desk they had sent someone with bandages--even offering to have someone come and look it over (which I declined as I am in the medical profession).

There were only a few complaints. First--you have to walk a long way to get to the rooms (they do have a shuttle). While I actually enjoyed this walk, it was a little frustrating when I had lugged my stuff to the room and found that my key did not work. And then I had to trek back to the lobby and wait 15 minutes in line to get assistance. Overall not a big deal, just slightly annoying. My biggest complaint was at the spa. I had a manicure/pedicure and while the nail technician was very friendly--she kept loudly yawning and being very unprofessional. It made me feel like I was a nuisance and was overall not very relaxing. Then I spent a little while in the "quiet room" at the spa and waited on my mother. While in the "quiet room" the other therapists kept coming in and yelling for their next clients--not very relaxing. I closed my eyes for a few minutes and another spa employee came in and started tidying up the room and refilling the pretzels, water, etc... then she took a cup to water the plants and threw water all over me--and never said a word to me about it.

While the staff does have some room for improvement, I thought it was a wonderful hotel and I would definitely stay there again if I was in the area.

Comments