Inn at Monticello

1188 Scottsville Rd., Hwy. 20 S., Charlottesville, Virginia, 22902, United States

More about Inn at Monticello

I'll definitely stay at the Inn at Monticello on my next trip

The Inn at Monticello offered me the perfect location for the historical sites I was most interested in visiting. A lovely, peaceful setting (I haven't slept so well in a long time!) Home-cooked gourmet breakfast with great coffee provided a lovely start to my day of tourism. The sit-down breakfast with all the other guests, combined with the late afternoon tea/wine also with other guests made the inn feel like a small community. I enjoyed lingering in conversation with the hosts and the other guests immensely, and this was an entirely unexpected addition to the holiday I had planned. We were quite a mixed bunch, but I think that folks who choose to visit sites of significance to America's founding are by definition a self-selected group of interesting, well-read people whether travelling on business, celebrating a wedding anniversary or birthday, or escaping D.C. for a romantic weekend getaway (all of which were staying at the inn the weekend I was there). Even the kitties make one feel welcome at this homey, historic inn. I stayed at a lovely award-winning historic B&B in Washington D.C. after I left Charlottesville, but the Inn at Monticello was my favorite.

At Home At The Inn at Monticello

My sister, Ruth, and I spent two very relaxing nights at the Inn at Monticello. We are both country, small town girls and felt right at home the minute we walked in. The Inn is beautifully decorated with period pieces and since we were there to see Monticello the antiques rather set the mood for our history tour. Becky and Norm sat and talked with us as if we were friends and gave us good advice as to where to eat and when to go to Monticello and not have to stand in line for a long period of time. Their knowledge of the University and other attractions helped us make the most of our stay. The people staying with us were from diffierent backgrounds and made the conversation stimulating. Ruth has a collection of memorabalia about Queen Elizabeth and enjoyed talking to several couples from England. Our room was perfect, twin beds, beautiful decor, a private bath, so very comfortable. Would we stay there again? You betcha! Next time I hope to have my husband along! Gracious hosts, excellent breakfast and afternoon refreshments. The stay could not have been better, except for one thing. I forgot a couple shirts in the closet. My fault, maybe a senior moment! However, they are on the way home and I appreciate the time and effort that Norm and Becky took to see them home.

Great cozy inn

Great hosts at this bed and breakfast just outside Charlottesville, VA. The owners were exceptionally friendly and always willing to do anything to make our stay more enjoyable. It's a beautiful home with a nice private guest house in the back. We had a great experience.

A wonderful B&B!

We had just come from Appomattox through the beautiful hills of Virginia to stay at the Inn at Monticello just outside of Charlottesville. Just off the road and nestled among blossoming trees this cottage-white house welcomes you in to rest in beautiful rooms that take you back to Jefferson's time(but with the modern amenities!). The house is beautiful and the service is superb! We were welcomed with a hot cup of tea and snacks to shake off the early spring chill. Our room was lovely and the bed, oh so comfortable!! Breakfast was a delight; delicious and very well appointed. Good conversation and gourmet coffee made us sorry that we had only booked the room for one night.
The Inn at Monticello is definitely among the best inns that we have stayed in over the many years of our travels all over the country- and we have stayed in many wonderful B&B's! The Inn at Monticello is by far THE place to stay in the Charlottesville area especially if you want to visit the many historical sites and features that abound. It is close to them all. A definite must when touring in the land of Jefferson.

Best Bed and Breakfast in Charlottesville

We just completed at least our tenth stay at the Inn at Monticello and it just keeps getting better every time. The first thing that you see as you pull up to the Inn is the wonderful porch that you know you will be sitting out on and enjoying the view of the foothills across the road. As you enter the Inn you are greeted by the Innkeepers Becky and Norm who will show you to one of the beautifully decorated bedrooms. Each bedroom is just a little different and it is always a hard choice to decide which one I want to stay in when coming back, although the Jefferson room is my favorite. After you get settled in, Becky and Norm will offer you a glass of wine and a snack. They are incredibly knowledgeable about the surrounding area and will suggest restaurants for dinner and help you make a reservation if needed. Becky and Norm will also be able to suggest various places you should visit and events you should attend while you are there. Just when you think that it can't get any better, you will wake up to a delicious gourmet breakfast. You will get to sample everything from egg casseroles, french toasts to tasty breads and fruit. The Inn at Monticello is conveniently located near Jefferson's home, Monticello, and is only a short drive from the Universtiy of Virginia, shopping and several winerys. If you haven't already stayed here on one of your trips to Charlottesville, this is definitely an Inn you must visit on your next trip.

A Weekend in the Cottage

The Inn at Monticello is in a beautiful location in a great town. We stayed in the cottage, which is a recent separate addition to a beautiful house from the mid-19th century. We very much enjoyed the solitude of the cottage, which had ample space. However, I was a little disappointed in that it was not the traditional "bed and breakfast" experience. The room was new and the fixtures and most of the furniture modern and of medium quality. Breakfasts were very good, but not excellent, and there is only one seating for breakfast. We prefer loacations with multiple or open seatings for breakfast.

I think I would return to the Inn, but would prefer to try a room in the main house rather than the cottage.

Great Stay At the Inn At Monticello

We loved our spacious room. The living room and dining areas were very comfortable and conducive to conversation with other guests. We arrived in the afternoon and were so comfortable in the living room what with complimentery snacks and beverages that we never went out that night.
Becky shared her knowledge of the local attractions and the University with us and really made the area come alive.

A great time at the Inn

Our say at the Inn was a relaxing and enjoyable one. The Inn was very clean and well furnished. The breakfast were most enjoyable and the hosts were very pleasant. They had great information of the area and wonderful stories to tell of the surrounding properties. We will make a return visit again in the future. I have already recommendered the Inn to some of our friends.

If we come back we'll stay with you.

We enjoyed everything about our visit to Charlottesville and, of course, the Inn At Monticello.
Our room was superior and our hostess very helpful and considerate.
If there is a criticism it was the breakfasts which were not to our liking with no alternatives.

Quiet and comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member smithtravel

The Inn at Monticello was a wonderfully quiet and comfortable place to stay. The caretaker, Pattie made you feel at home from the time you entered until the time you checked out. The home located in an excellent location, set back from the road and just minutes from downtown. A most enjoyable stay and a perfect alternative my business trip.

A Day @ MonticelloA Day @ Monticello

Michie Tavern, a Gent’s Room, May 2009Michie Tavern, a Gent’s Room, May 2009

Michie Tavern, May 2009Michie Tavern, May 2009

University of Virginia Sculptural Monuments 05/07University of Virginia Sculptural Monuments 05/07

Cheap but good eats.

by Travmad

Can anyone suggest a place to eat in Charlottesville that is good, filling, not a chain and inexpensive?

RE: Cheap but good eats.

by Hopkid

Hey Jim,

If you're open to any type of food I can recommend The Korea House. It's in a light industrial area next to a redneck pool hall/bar but the food is good and inexpensive. On the downtown walking mall I'd go for Chinese at Tea Time Desires where they have homemade dumplings. I've got tips up on my C'ville page for both of these places.

One place I don't have a tip up for is in the Corner area near the UVA campus. It's a Taiwanese place called First Wok and we really like it.

Sorry to have missed you at Baltoberfest!

Andy

RE: RE: Cheap but good eats.

by Travmad

Thank you Andy that sounds like the advice I was looking for.
Jim

RE: Cheap but good eats.

by cs94wahoo

take it from a former Wahoo, you can find just about anything good on the Corner, with the Rotunda accross the street. i like St. Maartens, it's kind of a pub place, with good burgers, cajin cheese fries, and great drinks. If you want something a bit fancier, there's the Virginian. Sandwiches? Little John's deli. Pizza? The College Inn.

Re: Cheap but good eats.

by NotBert

I'll have to throw in a good word for Big Jim's BBQ here. You'll get more than you can finish with a drink for under $10. The BBQ is good, but the burgers are out of this world. It's located a few miles north of the UVA campus.

Comments